RT @StanfordSports: Our recap of Stanford's 45-0 win. Key takeways: McCaffrey has a bright future and the O-line still needs to gel http://…: 7 hours ago, The Stanford Daily
RT @StanfordSports: And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 8 hours ago, The Stanford Daily
Suspect "described as a white male adult, in his 30's, approx. 5' 7" and 140 lbs., fit build with short brown hair and wearing black shorts": 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily
Alert: "A female adult reported that she was...struck from behind with an unknown object that she believed to be a stick.": 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily
AlertSU system reporting a physical assault nearby Palm Drive and Campus Drive at 9:11 p.m.: 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily

Have space for one more class next quarter?

Last week I wrote about Stanford’s need for a “wellness” GER and explored how this might change campus perception of mental health stigma and personal happiness. This week, I’ve created a list of course suggestions for winter quarter so you can take advantage of the wonderful wellness course offerings – even without being required to do so! If you have one or two units free in your winter schedules, consider trying out one of these winter courses on wellness topics, on everything from safe sex practices to emotional intelligence.

Not your everyday pediatrics class:

PEDS 106: Pursuit of Happiness and Health: A 3-unit course offered in winter that covers happiness research in the fields of psychology, cognitive neuroscience and medicine. Open to anyone interested in learning more about emotions, mindfulness and mental health. Meets Tuesday/Thursday 3:30-5:05 p.m.

Yoga, anyone?

ATHLETIC 182: Yoga (Asana Practice): A 1-unit course offered several mornings and afternoons a week that teaches basic yoga poses and breathing techniques for better concentration and balance in life. Many different meeting times – check explorecourses.stanford.edu for specific listings.

Strength training for the soul:

ATHLETIC 18: Strengthening the Heart Through Compassion: A 1-unit course offered in winter and spring that is sponsored by CCARE and teaches students to foster self-compassion, reduce stress and resolve interpersonal conflict. Meets Wednesday 3:30-5:20 p.m.

ATHLETIC 200: Emotional Intelligence: Tools for Productivity and Flourishing: A 2-unit class that focuses on helping students understand and improve their emotional intelligence through lectures, guided practice and discussion. A major goal of the class is increasing productivity. Meets Wednesday 4:15-6:05 p.m.

ATHLETIC 202: Foundations of Wellness II: A 2-unit course that emphasizes the teaching of stress management, emotional intelligence and happiness. Part 1 offered in the fall. Meets Tuesday 4:15-6:05 p.m.

So you want to work at The Bridge, HIV-Pact, or SHPRC?

EDUC 193A: Listen up!: Core Peer Counseling Skills: A 2-unit course offered each quarter for students interested in working at the Bridge, SHRPC or HIV-Pact. Also open to anyone willing to learn more about peer counseling/listening skills and campus resources! Invaluable skills for relationships, friendships and just life! Offered every quarter. Meets Tuesday 2:15-3:05 p.m.

EDUC 193P: Peer Counseling at the Bridge: A 1-unit course for students interested in working at the Bridge. Provides an overview of common issues on campus, ranging from eating disorders to grief and bereavement, in the form of weekly lectures from visiting experts in their fields. Meets Tuesday 3:15-4:30 p.m.

EDUC 193S: Peer Counseling on Comprehensive Sexual Health: A 1-unit course for students planning to work at the Sexual Health Peer Resource Center or who are just interested in learning more about birth control, pregnancy, sexual expression, the role of sex in society and developing communication and counseling skills. Meets Tuesday 7-9 p.m.

Don’t have room for one of these great courses in your schedule this winter? Never fear! Consider auditing or take one of the many wellness-themed courses offered this spring!

Know of a great class that’s not on this list? Email Emily at ecohodes@stanford.edu.

About Emily Cohodes

Emily Cohodes is a senior majoring in Psychology. She has been a peer counselor at the Bridge for the past three years and now serves as the course coordinator for the training courses. A lover of all animals, Emily has been a vegetarian since age 3 and is very interested in food production and sustainable food systems. In her free time, she can be found riding horses, cooking meatless delicacies, reminiscing about her time abroad in Italy, and hiking. She is always looking for ways to improve campus mental health culture and would love your feedback.
  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Harold-Maio/1398619703 Harold Maio

explored how this might change campus
    perception of mental health stigma…

… is totally offensive, as would
    be:

explored how this might change campus
    perception of rape stigma.

Harold A. Maio, retired Mental
    Health Editor