RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: This just feels like another one of those five-set marathon matches. Par for the course between these two teams.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two straight points for the Lions after the timeout, take first lead in the set since 6-5. Dunning calls another timeout.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

BRIEFS: Men’s basketball opens season at Oracle Arena; ‘Goose’ Anderson named to Academic All-District Team

Men’s basketball opens season tonight in Oakland

Junior guard Aaron Bright was Stanford’s second-leading scorer a season ago with 11.7 points per game. He will be a key piece of a Cardinal team looking to make the NCAA tourney for the first time since 2008. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

The last game the Stanford men’s basketball team played that counted was during NIT Finals in New York’s Madison Square Garden. Seven months after winning that tournament, the Cardinal will open its 2012-13 campaign with another matchup in an NBA venue when it meets San Francisco tonight at Oracle Arena in Oakland.

Since last March, Stanford has graduated guard Jarrett Mann as well as big men Josh Owens, Andrew Zimmermann and Jack Trotter. Junior Dwight Powell and senior Stefan Nastic will look to fill that void in the key, though neither appeared in Sunday’s exhibition win against UNC Pembroke.

The Cardinal’s three freshmen — center Grant Verhoeven, forward Rosco Allen and guard Christian Sanders — all appeared in that exhibition, shooting a combined 5-for-8 with five rebounds.

San Francisco is fresh off its first 20-win season in 30 years and will play Stanford for the first time since 2005.

Football’s Anderson named to Academic All-District Team

Stanford starting defensive end Henry Anderson was selected to the Capital One Academic All-District 8 Team on Thursday by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). The junior political science major has a 3.43 grade-point average, and has recorded 3.5 sacks — fourth-best amongst Cardinal defenders — and 30 tackles this season.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.