RT @jwallach12: Of the 17 teams that went undefeated in the reg. season, only 5 went unbeaten in the tourney to become nat'l champs (most r…: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: This week, @StanfordWVB will look to become the 18th DI team to go undefeated in the regular season since @NCAAVolleyball b…: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @LombardiESPN: Big: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will NOT play vs UCLA: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Stanford coach David Shaw said Ty Montgomery out for UCLA. Said after Cal game it was a right shoulder sprain.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer offside to end regular time, we're headed to golden goal and extra time: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer earns a corner on the counter: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Another Stanford header off of a corner goes wide: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

BRIEFS: Men’s basketball opens season at Oracle Arena; ‘Goose’ Anderson named to Academic All-District Team

Men’s basketball opens season tonight in Oakland

Junior guard Aaron Bright was Stanford’s second-leading scorer a season ago with 11.7 points per game. He will be a key piece of a Cardinal team looking to make the NCAA tourney for the first time since 2008. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

The last game the Stanford men’s basketball team played that counted was during NIT Finals in New York’s Madison Square Garden. Seven months after winning that tournament, the Cardinal will open its 2012-13 campaign with another matchup in an NBA venue when it meets San Francisco tonight at Oracle Arena in Oakland.

Since last March, Stanford has graduated guard Jarrett Mann as well as big men Josh Owens, Andrew Zimmermann and Jack Trotter. Junior Dwight Powell and senior Stefan Nastic will look to fill that void in the key, though neither appeared in Sunday’s exhibition win against UNC Pembroke.

The Cardinal’s three freshmen — center Grant Verhoeven, forward Rosco Allen and guard Christian Sanders — all appeared in that exhibition, shooting a combined 5-for-8 with five rebounds.

San Francisco is fresh off its first 20-win season in 30 years and will play Stanford for the first time since 2005.

Football’s Anderson named to Academic All-District Team

Stanford starting defensive end Henry Anderson was selected to the Capital One Academic All-District 8 Team on Thursday by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). The junior political science major has a 3.43 grade-point average, and has recorded 3.5 sacks — fourth-best amongst Cardinal defenders — and 30 tackles this season.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.