Solly!: 2 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Cardinal trail UCLA 10-3 at the half. Considering they sustained three injuries and two turnovers, might count themselves lucky.: 24 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Arcega-Whiteside gets his first career reception on a big 3rd down throw from Burns. Stanford's depth has been as good as advertised so far.: 30 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Tough series of plays for the Cardinal but defense cuts their losses by holding UCLA to a field goal.: 35 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Now Meeks headed off the field. Stanford's secondary depth has been touted all season but will be seriously tested here.: 40 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Holder is still out of the game, so Stanford is faced with the challenge of stopping Rosen without its No. 1 corner. Mixed results so far.: 44 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Another big break for UCLA as they avoid a targeting call on that Owusu catch.: 46 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Owusu appears to get hit in the helmet on 3rd and long completion/fumble, but no flag thrown. No. 6 currently headed to the locker room.: 48 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Bizarre turn of events leads to attempted pass from Trent Irwin to Ryan Burns. Pass interference call keeps the chains moving.: 52 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Rosen gets good protection but overthrows his receiver. Good stop by the Stanford D to set the Cardinal up in decent field position.: 58 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Football: Shaw upbeat as Ty Montgomery returns from injury

The mood around Stanford football was lighthearted again, as Stanford could finally exhale after a dominant Big Game performance. For the first time since Sept. 8 against Duke, Stanford had a comfortable lead at the end of the game, a welcome sight on the Farm.

Certainly adding to the festive mood was the news that Ty Montgomery returned to practice Monday night. Coach David Shaw plans to evaluate how Montgomery feels in practice this week before deciding how much the receiver will play against Washington State, if at all. Still, even if Montgomery does not play on Saturday against an overmatched Cougar squad, this development is a big step towards the starting receiver’s eventual return to the field.

Stanford wide receiver Ty Montgomery (above) is likely to return from injury this weekend and give a boost to the team’s offense against Wazzu (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily).

At Cal, Montgomery was not desperately missed, thanks to a dominant performance on the ground and defensively. Shaw thought there were around nine guys who played great defense, including redshirt senior Chase Thomas, who coach thought played maybe the most complete game of his career.

Shaw was especially impressed by a pass rush move Thomas used to get to Cal quarterback Zach Maynard. The move is called an ice pick spin move, a term which no members of the media recognized on Tuesday. This led to the press conference highlight of the season, when Shaw demonstrated the pass rush move on San Francisco Chronicle writer Tom Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald and Shaw have had some tense moments over the course of the season, leading to friendly jeers from around the room sarcastically egging the two on. That moment seemed to signify to the world that Shaw has moved forward from some of his most defensive moments earlier this season, going so far as to add, “Tom and I are buddies.”

The laughs were free-flowing all morning, showing just how much the Big Game victory really meant to the team. Shaw couldn’t contain his laughter when asked whether Joshua Garnett, the 325-pound offensive lineman who has spent some time at fullback in jumbo sets, might be given a carry near the goal line.

When it got back to business, the biggest personnel move discussed was Alex Carter’s promotion to a starting cornerback position. The true freshman is a freak athlete—Shaw called his vertical jump, broad jump, 40-time, and body fat percentage “NFL Combine numbers” at the age of 17—and now is starting to get the feel of the cornerback position.

Carter, whose father played cornerback at Notre Dame before a long NFL career, had an interesting experience two weeks ago in South Bend. His parents and two younger sisters flew to Notre Dame for the game, but everyone in the family wore Notre Dame gear except his mother, who proudly displayed Carter’s Stanford jersey.

“There’s nothing I can do,” Carter said. “The older one wants to go to Notre Dame and the younger one is an Oregon fan.”

The other freshman seeing a dramatic increase in playing time is quarterback Kevin Hogan. The redshirt freshman Hogan, after running read option a couple of times with Remound Wright over the past few weeks, started to see his playbook open up against Cal. This development culminated in a touchdown pass from Hogan to tight end Levine Toilolo. Hogan, who is the best runner among the Stanford quarterbacks, rolled out to his right and found Toilolo in the end zone.

Hogan told the media that his first instinct on that play is to run the ball, and about half the time he runs the play in practice he is able to run the football. However, because Cal was able to defend it well, he was forced to throw, and showed that he can deliver a strike on the run.

Look for Hogan’s role to increase, potentially in the way Ty Montgomery appeared midway through 2011. Stanford historically has tried to run up to ten plays per game with an athletic quarterback, most recently with Alex Loukas. If Hogan continues to have success in practice, he could continue to earn more snaps very soon.

About Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher is the managing editor of sports for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 244. Sam also does play-by-play for KZSU's coverage of Stanford football, Stanford baseball and Stanford women's basketball. In 2013, Sam co-authored "Rags to Roses: The Rise of Stanford Football," with Joseph Beyda and George Chen.
  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Scott-Lohmann/100000659541715 Scott Lohmann

I’d love to see Hogans roll increase especially in the red zone!