RT @StanfordSports: Our recap of Stanford's 45-0 win. Key takeways: McCaffrey has a bright future and the O-line still needs to gel http://…: 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily
RT @StanfordSports: And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily

Four School of Medicine members elected into Institute of Medicine

Four members of the Stanford School of Medicine, including its new dean, were elected into the Institute of Medicine this week.

Lloyd Minor, M.D., David Stevenson, M.D., Stephan Quake, Ph.D., and David Spiegel, M.D., join 65 other School of Medicine inductees.

Minor, who will become the new dean of the School of Medicine in December 2012 and who previously served as the provost at Johns Hopkins University, is an otolaryngologist specializing in diseases and disorders of the inner ear.

Stevenson, the vice dean of the School of Medicine, focuses his research on neonatology, the medical care of newborns, and the prevention of preterm birth.

Quake, the Lee Otterson Professor in the School of Engineering, has made innovations in the field of bioengineering including a rapid DNA sequencer and a noninvasive prenatal test for Down syndrome.

Spiegel, the Jack, Samuel and Lulu Willson Professor in the School of Medicine and associate chair of psychiatry and behavioral sciences, looks at the relationship between stress and health, including the effects of depression and psychotherapy on cancer progression.

The Institute of Medicine is a nonprofit organization that recognizes professionals whose work ties in with the institute’s goals of providing resources for independent, scientifically informed analysis and recommendations on health issues outside of government.

About Ileana Najarro

Ileana Najarro is the Managing Editor of News at The Stanford Daily. She previously worked as a News Desk Editor and Staff Writer.