Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Eddie Plantaric in at fullback! Can't remember that happening in the recent past: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Sports Briefs: Football announces time for Washington State contest, Bonanni named Player of the Week, Ajanaku and Gilbert win Pac-12 honors

Oct. 27 football game kickoff against Washington State set for 3:15 p.m.

The Pac-12 Conference announced on Monday that Stanford football team’s late October contest against Washington State will be played at 3:15 p.m. at Stanford Stadium.

The No. 20 Cardinal (4-2, 2-1 Pac-12) will first face California in the Big Game this Saturday, where it is favored to retain the Axe for the third straight year.

After inconsistent performances so far this season, though, both games will be crucial tests.

The game will be broadcast live on both the Pac-12 Networks and Stanford’s KZSU radio.

Men’s waterpolo’s Bonanni named Player of the Week.

With a pair of hat tricks against No. 2 UC Santa Barbara and No. 8 Pepperdine last weekend, freshman driver Bret Bonanni helped the No. 5 Cardinal to back-to-back wins and secured MPSF/KAP 7 Player of the Week honors.

Bonanni is now second on the team with 26 goals in 11 games and ranks tenth in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation with 2.36 goals per game.

Next up for Stanford is a road trip to face California in the Big Splash this Saturday morning ahead of the Big Game, followed by games against Bucknell and Air Force in the Rodeo Tournament in Santa Clara on Sunday.

Sophomore libero Kyle Gilbert won Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week for helping Stanford defeat top-ten ranked USC and UCLA last week.

Women’s volleyball players win Pac-12 honors.

Stanford has recovered from three early season losses to run out to a 14-game winning streak and a perfect record in the Pac-12 so far. Cementing the current strength of the Cardinal team, freshman middle blocker Inky Ajanaku and sophomore libero Kyle Gilbert both won Pac-12 awards last week, Freshman and Defensive Player of the Week, respectively.

The No. 2 Cardinal (16-2, 8-0 Pac-12) defeated both top-10 ranked Southern California teams last week. In the wins over USC and UCLA, Ajanaku set consecutive career highs in kills and blocks, finishing with 17 and six, respectively, against the Bruins. Gilbert, meanwhile, made a match-high 22 digs against the Trojans and followed that with a career-high 25 against UCLA.

This weekend Stanford heads out on the road to face No. 5 Washington on Friday and then Washington State on Sunday.

–Tom Taylor

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger