SPORTS BRIEF: Stanford sailing breezes past Cal 2-0

Competing at the St. Francis Yacht Club located between Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge, the Stanford sailing defeated Cal 2-0 in the annual Big Sail on Tuesday.

“The Big Sail is a great tradition and it’s great for the alumni to come and watch both teams compete,” Stanford head coach John Vandemoer told GoStanford.com. “This was a big year for Stanford as our young alums snapped a skid to Cal with their first win since 2005.”

Winning two out of the three events that were competed, Stanford was led by Kevin Laube (skipper), Antonie Screve (tactician and main trimmer), Jack Ortel (jib and spinnaker trimmer), Katie Riklin (mid-bow) and McKenzie Wilson (bow).

“Our varsity was able to keep its winning streak alive,” continued Vandemoer. “There was some quality racing, which is a good testament to all the crews considering the big breeze.”

Next up for the Cardinal is the three-day Pacific Coast Collegiate Conference Championship in Long Beach, Calif., beginning on Oct. 19.

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].