RT @AJTarpley: Just repaying the favor @ArizonaFBall: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @ksvoboda: Stanford @khoagie8 becomes 1st @StanfordFball QB to defeat UCLA 4 times. #GoStanford: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidParry58: Our debt to Arizona is paid: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hey Arizona, let's call it even, okay?: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Off the top of my head, this was the best performance by a Stanford quarterback since Andrew Luck in the Fiesta Bowl ag…: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 31, UCLA 10. Final.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
The Rose Bowl empties in earnest.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford leads in yardage 416-179.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
UCLA is effectively done - 21 points in 10:40 against this Stanford defense is probably too much for any non-Oregon offense in the country.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Williamson money from 34. Stanford stretches the lead to 31-10.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Sports Briefs: Fencing schedule, Women’s crew wins, Sailing 16th at Danmark Trophy

Women’s four wins Head of the Oklahoma

Stanford’s women’s four placed first at the Head of the Oklahoma with a time of 16:12.96 — a half second better than second-place Clemson but almost 15 seconds ahead  of third-place Oklahoma — before coming in a close second at the OG&E Night Sprints this weekend.

“It was a gutsy effort from stroke one that paid off,” women’s rowing head coach Yasmin Farooq told GoStanford.com. “We won’t be doing racing starts until our spring championship season, but it’s an awesome reminder of what’s ahead when we hit 2K season in March.”

The women’s eight also had a strong showing, finishing second out of 21 crews in the Head of the Oklahoma and later tying for second at the night event.

Sailing comes in 16th for Danmark Trophy

Stanford finished 16th at the Danmark Trophy over the weekend. (Stanford Daily File Photo)

The Cardinal sailing squad traveled to New London, Conn. for the Danmark Trophy over the weekend and finished 16th of 20 teams at the event.

Stanford’s 229 points — a far cry from first-place Brown’s 119 — were comprised of an 11th-place finish by sophomores Kevin Laube and Helena Scutt in the A-Division and a 20th-place finish by freshman Michael Dahl and junior Rebecca King in the B-Division.

Fencing releases schedule

On Monday, Stanford fencing announced its two-meet schedule, which will consist of the Western Invitational (Jan. 12) and the Midwest Invitational (Feb. 2-3).

With six of last year’s top 15 NCAA Championship finishers participating in those two meets, the Cardinal hopes to use them as preparation for March 9th’s NCAA Regionals. The 2012 NCAA Championships will take place from March 21-24.

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.