On his first play, Yazdi immediately gets a tackle. Making the most of the opportunity right away: 2 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Alex Yazdi in at nose tackle. "The Iranian Meatball," they call him. Great to see him getting playing time.: 4 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Looks like walk-on DT Alex Yazdi (No. 79) is in line to get perhaps the first meaningful playing time of his career on …: 4 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
On the scoreboard: based on aggregate Facebook data, Stanford fan's favorite car is the Ferrari. OSU's is the Jeep.: 9 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford defense still keeps on keeping on and Stanford has the ball back with 9:10 to play.: 11 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Don't look now, but Stanford is on pace to score 70 #DoinTheMath: 15 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Score now 21-7 and Hogan now 11-of-16 for 150 yards. Not too shabby.: 19 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
That's the first career touchdown for @JordanPratt87! A very nice to move to make the corner miss, and he runs diagonally to the end zone.: 20 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Kevin Hogan: Now with pocket presence: 23 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Sports Briefs: Fencing schedule, Women’s crew wins, Sailing 16th at Danmark Trophy

Women’s four wins Head of the Oklahoma

Stanford’s women’s four placed first at the Head of the Oklahoma with a time of 16:12.96 — a half second better than second-place Clemson but almost 15 seconds ahead  of third-place Oklahoma — before coming in a close second at the OG&E Night Sprints this weekend.

“It was a gutsy effort from stroke one that paid off,” women’s rowing head coach Yasmin Farooq told GoStanford.com. “We won’t be doing racing starts until our spring championship season, but it’s an awesome reminder of what’s ahead when we hit 2K season in March.”

The women’s eight also had a strong showing, finishing second out of 21 crews in the Head of the Oklahoma and later tying for second at the night event.

Sailing comes in 16th for Danmark Trophy

Stanford finished 16th at the Danmark Trophy over the weekend. (Stanford Daily File Photo)

The Cardinal sailing squad traveled to New London, Conn. for the Danmark Trophy over the weekend and finished 16th of 20 teams at the event.

Stanford’s 229 points — a far cry from first-place Brown’s 119 — were comprised of an 11th-place finish by sophomores Kevin Laube and Helena Scutt in the A-Division and a 20th-place finish by freshman Michael Dahl and junior Rebecca King in the B-Division.

Fencing releases schedule

On Monday, Stanford fencing announced its two-meet schedule, which will consist of the Western Invitational (Jan. 12) and the Midwest Invitational (Feb. 2-3).

With six of last year’s top 15 NCAA Championship finishers participating in those two meets, the Cardinal hopes to use them as preparation for March 9th’s NCAA Regionals. The 2012 NCAA Championships will take place from March 21-24.

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger