Police evacuate homes, search for bombs near 101

A man who threatened to blow up a home in the 3700 block of Klamath Lane near Highway 101 has been detained and placed in a psychiatric hold, according to statements from the Palo Alto Police.

Officers first responded to a report just before noon that a man near the intersection of West Bayshore Road and Adobe Creek wanted to kill himself. Further investigation led the officers to the Klamath Lane home. The man is associated with the Klamath Lane home but is not an inhabitant.

Residents in the area were evacuated on foot in the early afternoon after officers learned that the man claimed to be in possession of explosives. After inspection from the Santa Clara County Bomb Squad, the home in question as well as surrounding buildings were declared safe for residents to re-enter.

Traffic remained closed on adjacent East Meadow Circle for several hours after the man was detained due to bomb squad activity.

The man will be charged with making criminal threats and creating an incendiary device, according to the Palo Alto Police Twitter feed. After negotiators coaxed him out of the home, police took the man to undergo a psychiatric exam.

“To the evacuated residents, thank you for your patience and cooperation,” the police tweeted at 9:21 p.m., more than nine hours after the initial tip was received. “We know it’s been a long afternoon and evening.”

Police used the AlertSCC system–a system similar to AlertSU that notifies Santa Clara County residents via text, email or phone call in the event of emergency–to notify residents of the situation.

Alice Phillips '15 is Managing Editor of News at The Stanford Daily. Previously, she worked as the paper's Deputy Editor, Chief Copy Editor, a News Desk Editor and a News Staff Writer. Alice is a biology major from Los Angeles, California.