Liveblog: Stanford vs. Washington

We’ll be updating this page throughout tonight’s game between the Cardinal and Huskies with play-by-play coverage and instant analysis. Please refresh this page for the most recent updates. All times are Pacific.

6:41 PM: Thanks for joining us. Stanford and Washington are tied 3-3 as the first quarter comes to a close.

6:43 PM: Washington running back Bishop Sankey carries for a gain of 6. 2nd and 4.

6:44 PM: Sankey goes for 3 more yards. 3rd and 1 at the Washington 30.

6:45 PM: Sankey on a roll, gains 10 yards on third down. 1st and 10 at the Washington 40.

6:46 PM: Quarterback Keith Price’s completes 8-yard pass to Kasen Williams. 2nd and 2 coming up.

6:47 PM: Price keeps the ball for a 1-yard gain. 3rd and 4.

6:47 PM: Good stop by Cardinal defense as Price is contained for a short gain. 4th and 4. Huskies punter Travis Coons punts for 53-yard touchback.

6:48 PM: Hulk package in for Stanford. Captain running back Stepfan Taylor carries the ball for three yards. 2nd and 7.

6:50PM: Josh Nunes’ pass is incomplete, intended for Ty Montgomery. Critical 3rd and 7 coming up.

6:51 PM: Delay of game backs up Stanford five yards. On 3rd and 12, Washington defenders swarm Nunes and his 5-yard completion to Montgomery is well short of the first down.

6:53 PM: Cardinal punter Daniel Zychlinski boots the ball 51 yards. Huskies will get the ball back on their own 26-yard line.

6:56 PM: Huskies gain 8 yards on Sankey run. 2nd and 8 coming up.

6:57 PM: Price completes pass to DiAndre Campbell. 3rd and 1.

6:58 PM: Price completes short pass to Kendyl Taylor, enough for a first down. However, block in the back penalty negates the play and 1st and 10 becomes 3rd and 10 for the Huskies.

6:59 PM: Chase Thomas sniffs out the screen out and stops Sankey for 1-yard gain. 4th and 10 and Huskies will punt it away.

7:00 PM: Coons punts the ball for 39 yards. Stanford will get the ball back at its own 35-yard line.

7:00 PM: Taylor picks up three. 2nd and 7.

7:01 PM: Nunes’ pass intended for Montgomery is too low. 3rd and 7.

7:01 PM: Nunes’ pass incomplete to true freshman Kodi Whitfield. Fifth three-and-out for Stanford.

7:02 PM: Zychnliski punts for 39 yards. Washington’s Marvin Hall returns the ball to the Huskies 25-yard line.

7:05 PM: Price gets pressured, but dumps it off to Sankey for 14 yards. 1st and 10 at the Washington 39.

7:06 PM: Price’s pass is incomplete, intended for Campbell. 2nd and 10 coming up.

7:06 PM: Sankey takes the ball for 15 yards on the halfback draw. 1st and 10 at the Stanford 46.

7:07 PM: Good pressure from Trent Murphy. Price throws away the ball. 2nd and 10.

7:08 PM: Price seems to be frustrated with his running backs, but completes the pass to Williams for 6 yards on a slant route. 3rd and 4.

7:09 PM: Stanford inside linebacker James Vaughters comes on a blitz, gets in Price’s face. Price throws it away, penalized for intentional grounding. 4th and 12.

7:10 PM: Terrell waves for a fair catch and Stanford will get the ball back on its own 18-yard line. The Cardinal has just two first downs on the night with five minutes left in the first half.

7:11 PM: On 1st and 10, Taylor carries the ball for six yard. 2nd and  4 at the Stanford 24.

7:13 PM: Nunes’ screen pass falls way short, intended for fullback Ryan Hewitt. 3rd and 5.

7:14 PM: Nunes airs out the ball, complete to a wide open Ertz for a 35-yard pickup. 

7:14 PM: Montgomery can’t hold on to Nunes’ deep pass. 2nd and 10 at the Washington 40.

7:15 PM: Taylor picks up 5 yards for Stanford. 3rd and 5 coming up.

7:16 PM: Washington uses its first timeout of the half as Stanford hopes to maintain its drive in Huskies territory.

7:17 PM: On 3rd and 5, Nunes lobs the ball to 6-foot-8 tight end Levine Toilolo. The pass is incomplete, but pass interference called on Washington defense. First down Stanford. 

7:18 PM: Nunes has converted two third downs on this drive. Working from the Washington 17, Nunes’ pass is incomplete, intended for Ertz near the goal line. 2nd and 10. Timeout Stanford.

7:19 PM: From the Wildcat formation, Taylor carries the ball for three yards. 3rd and 7 coming up with the ball at the Huskies 14.

7:21 PM: Nunes’ pass is complete to Taylor for 3 yards, but short of the first down. Field goal unit coming out. 

7:22 PM: Williamson lines up for the 28-yard attempt. Kick is GOOD. Stanford leads Washington 6-3 with 1:10 left in the second quarter.

7:24 PM: Williamson kicks off the ball. Hall returns the ball 28 yards to the Washington 29.

7:25 PM: Sankey carries the ball for 1 yards. 2nd and 9.

7:26 PM: Price’s pass is incomplete, intended for Kevin Smith. 3rd and 9 coming up.

7:27 PM: Sankey picks up 5 yards on the carry, not enough to pick up the first down. Stanford uses its second timeout with 13 seconds left in the first half.

7:28 PM: Terrell waves for the fair catch. The Cardinal gets the ball back at its own 34-yard line, but is content to run out the clock with a kneel to close out the second half.

7:29 PM: With two more quarters to play, Stanford leads Washington 6-3.

7:33 PM: Stanford offense looked sluggish in that first half. Nunes has been inaccurate, completing only 35 percent of his passes, while the Huskies defense has contained Stepfan Taylor, who has actually rushed for less yards than Washington’s Bishop Sankey. The Cardinal will also need to convert more third downs in the second half if it hopes to widen its lead over the Huskies. Three first downs over the span of 30 minutes won’t cut it.

7:49 PM: Stanford ready to kick off the ball. Hall takes out the ball to the Huskies 25-yard line.

7:50 PM: Defensive line gets into the backfield. Murphy stops Bishop for for a loss of three. 2nd and 13.

7:50 PM: Price’s pass sails out of bounds. 3rd and 13 coming up.

7:51 PM: Price avoids the pressure and finds Taylor, who takes the ball to the Washington 32. Short of the first down, 4th and 2.

7:52 PM: Washington goes three-and-out on its first drive of the third quarter. Coon’s 50-yard punt puts the Cardinal at its own 18-yard line.

7:53 PM: Taylor gains 2 yards on the carry. 2nd and 8.

7:54 PM: Off the play action, Nunes’ pass to Ertz is complete for 14 yards to the Stanford 34 for a first down.

7:55 PM: Taylor tripped up after gaining three yards. 2nd and 7 at the Stanford 37.

7:56 PM: Nunes’ long pass incomplete off the fingertips of Montgomery. 3rd and 7.

7:57 PM: Shaw forced to use a timeout to avoid delay of game penalty. Big 3rd and 7 coming up.

7:58 PM: Crowd on its feet at CenturyLink field. Nunes fumbles the ball and Washington recovers the ball at the Stanford 35. TURNOVER STANFORD. 

7:59 PM: Price gets rid of the ball quickly, incomplete. 2nd and 10.

8:01 PM: Sankey carries the ball for 2 yards. 3rd and 8 coming up.

8:01 PM: Price bobbles the snap and his pass to Campbell is short. 4th and 8.

8:02 PM: Washington goes for it on fourth down. Price finds Campbell in the middle of the field for 3 yards. Not enough for the first down. Turnover on downs and Stanford will get the ball back on its own 33-yard line.

8:03 PM: Taylor gains 4 yards on the ground. 2nd and 6 at the Cardinal 37.

8:03 PM: Taylor gets the carry again, rushes for 7 yards. First down Stanford.

8:04 PM: From its own 41-yard line, Hewitt hauls in Nunes’ pass on the Spider Y 3 Bannana play. 2nd and 3.

8:05 PM: Taylor rumbles through for 5 yards to get the first down.

8:06 PM: False start called on the Cardinal. 1st and 15.

8:06 PM: Taylor carries the ball for the fourth time this drive, gains 5 yards. 2nd and 10.

8:06 PM: Nunes dishes out to Taylor on a screen, but he gets drilled for no gain. 3rd and 14.

8:07 PM: Nunes’ pass sails over Ertz. Incomplete. Stanford still struggling on offense as it punts the ball away once again.

8:08 PM: Zychlinski punts for just 24 yards as the ball goes out of bounds at the Washington 24.

8:11 PM: From the shotgun, Price hands off the ball to Taylor for 3 yards. 2nd and 7.

8:12 PM: Holding penalty called on Washington. The Huskies will be backed up to their own 17-yard line. 2nd and 17.

8:12 PM: Price finds Williams on the slant for 9 yards. Price gets hit hard by Shayne Skov on the play. 3rd and 8 coming up.

8:13 PM: Stanford secondary immediately swarms Jaydon Mickens as he hauls in Price’s pass for five yards. 4th and 3.

8:14 PM: Terrell fields the punt at the Stanford 32-yard line. There haven’t been many returning opportunities for him tonight.

8:16 PM: With 5:11 left in the third quarter, the Cardinal maintains a 6-3 lead over the Huskies.

8:17 PM: On first down, running back Kelsey Young swings around the edge for a nice gain, but a Hewitt hold sets Stanford back to its 22-yard line. 1st and 20.

8:18 PM: Taylor picks up a couple on the run. 2nd and 18.

8:19 PM: Nunes’ pass intended for Montgomery is broken up by cornerback Desmond Trufant. 3rd and 18.

8:19 PM: Jamal Rashad-Patterson unable to catch Nunes’ deep pass. 4th and 18.

8:20 PM: Stanford punts the ball away. Hall returns the punt for 23 yards to the Washington 49.

8:22 PM: MURPHY INTERCEPTS PRICE’S PASS AND RETURNS IT FOR A PICK SIX. TOUCHDOWN STANFORD. Williamson’s PAT is GOOD. With 2:51 left in the third quarter, Stanford leads Washington 13-3.

8:24 PM: Hall takes the ball out to the Washington 19 on the kickoff.

8:24 PM: Price back to work after throwing the pick six. He throws the ball out of the bounds, intended for Williams, on the first play of the drive. 2nd and 10.

8:25 PM: Price’s screen pass to Sankey goes for 8 yards. 3nd and 2.

8:26 PM: Sankey rushes for 3 yards, enough to convert the third down. 1st and 10 at the Washington 27.

8:27 PM: Price sacked by defensive end Henry Anderson for a loss of 7. 2nd and 17 coming up.

8:28 PM: Williams catches Price’s pass for 6 yards to the Washington 29. 3rd and 11.

8:28 PM: Price completes the pass to Wiliams again for 10 yards. 4th and 1.

8:29 PM: SANKEY TAKES IT TO THE HOUSE ON FOURTH DOWN. 61-YARD TOUCHDOWN FOR THE HUSKIES. Coon’s PAT is good. As the third quarter comes to an end, the Huskies cuts into Stanford’s lead, 13-10.

8:33 PM: The fourth quarter has begun. Coons kicks the ball off for 65 yards for a touchback.

8:34 PM: Nunes’ pass is too low for Ertz. Incomplete. 2nd and 10 at the Stanford 25.

8:35 PM: Taylor gains a couple on the run. 3rd and 8.

8:36 PM: Stanford hasn’t been great with converting third downs all seasons, but Nunes finds Ertz for 9 yards. First down Stanford.

8:37 PM: Taylor runs to the edge, but gets hit in the backfield for a loss. 2nd and 14 coming up.

8:38 PM: Nunes connects with Montgomery for 7 yards. 3rd and 7.

8:39 PM: Stanford’s screen play doesn’t fool anyone and loses five yards on the play. 4th and 12.

8:39 PM: Washington will get the ball back on its own 30-yard line.

8:39 PM: Price’s pass is incomplete, intended for Sankey. 2nd and 10.

8:40 PM: Usua Amanam stops Sankey for a loss of 2. Huskies face 3rd and 12.

8:40 PM: Price unable to complete his pass to Austin Seferian-Jenkins. 4th and 12.

8:41 PM: Coons punts the ball for 36 yards. Fair catch waved by Terrell and the Cardinal will take over on its own 36-yard line. 10:57 left in the game.

8:43 PM: Montgomery hauls in the catch on the screen, gains two yards. 2nd and 8.

8:44 PM: Taylor gets three hard-earned yards. 3rd and 3 for the Cardinal.

8:45 PM: Nunes gets pummeled by captain linebacker John Timu on a delayed blitz. Stanford will now punt once again.

8:46 PM: Zychlinski punts for 35 yards, fair catch by Hall at the Huskies 35-yard line. How much longer can the stout Cardinal defense keep Price and company in check?

8:48 PM: On 1st and 10, Sankey carries the ball for a gain of 3. 2nd and 7 at the Washington 38.

8:49 PM: Price’s quick pass is complete to Mickens for 3 yards. 3rd and 4 for the Huskies.

8:50 PM: Seferian-Jenkins catches Price’s pass for 3 yards, but just short of first down at the Washington 44. 4th and short 1. Official review confirms the spot

8:51 PM: Coach Karkisian elects to go for it here. Dezden Petty rushes for 2 yards on fullback dive. First down Huskies.

8:52 PM: Sankey rushes the ball for 5 yards to the Stanford 49. Washington picks up another first down.

8:53 PM: Skov hits Price as he throws. Pass falls incomplete. 2nd and 10.

8:54 PM: Price connects with Kasen, picks up 8 yards. 3rd and 2 at the Stanford 35.

8:57 PM: PRICE’S COMPLETES SHORT PASS TO WILLIAMS, WHO TAKES IT FOR A 35-YARD TOUCHDOWN. Coons’ PAT is GOOD. Huskies takes the lead, 17-13.

9:01 PM: Good return by Montgomery, taking it out to the 35-yard line. Stanford needs a touchdown to take back the lead. A field goal won’t be enough.

9:02 PM: Nunes hooks up with Ertz for 15 yards off the play action. 1st and 10 at the Stanford 49.

9:03 PM: Nunes’ pass intended for Ertz is incomplete. 2nd and 10.

9:04 PM: Nunes connects again with Ertz for a gain of 9. 3rd and 1 coming up. Measurement coming up.

9:04 PM: 3rd and 1 at the Washington 42. Nunes fumbles the ball, but Hewitt picks up the ball and rumbles ahead for a first down. 1st and 10.

9:06 PM: Delay of game called on Nunes. 1st and 15.

9:07 PM: Montgomery drops a perfectly thrown ball from Nunes. Could’ve been the game-winning touchdown. Instead, 2nd and 15 coming up for the Cardinal.

9:08 PM: Nunes dishes the ball to Taylor for a gain of 5. 3rd and 10.

9:09 PM: Nunes’ pass to Montgomery is ruled incomplete. Official review coming up.

9:14 PM: Ruling on the field is overturned. Pass to Montgomery was a completion. 4th and 4.

9:15 PM: Nunes’ pass intended for Toilolo is picked off by Trufant. Washington gets the ball back on its own 8-yard line. 

9:16 PM: Sankey carries for no gain. Stanford burns its second timeout. 2nd and 10.

9:17 PM: Sankey rushes for 6 yards. Stanford uses its last timeout. 3rd and 6.

9:18 PM: Ben Gardner commits a false start. Automatic first down for Washington. The Huskies can just take three kneels to clinch the victory.

9:21 PM: One…two…three…and that’s the ball game. Final score: Washington 17, Stanford 13

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].