Top 5 Places to See During NSO

Sept. 18, 2012, 12:39 a.m.

On a scale from transfer to coterm/Ph.D./future professor, how much do you love Stanford already? Don’t worry if you’re still not sure about your roommate or you think all the buildings look the same (they do!). You’ve got time, an iStanford app and Intermission to guide you on your collegiate journey of self-discovery and cultural delights. First on the menu are a few places you should definitely check out during NSO. Go forth and frolic in an IntroSem. Dally in GERs. You’ll never be as free as freshman year.

Lake Lagunita

If you like lakes but aren’t a fan of water, this lake is just for you! Just venture out into the middle of Lag, and if you’re lucky, you might score a spot on one of the resident lawn chairs. But if you’re feeling adventurous, check out the trail that goes around the perimeter. It’s a popular place to go jogging, walking or just to check out on a nice late-summer afternoon.

The Terman Engineering Center fountain

No doubt you’ll find this fountain sometime during your fountain-hopping adventures, but do take some time to come back when you aren’t running around in your swimsuit trying not to get separated from the rest of the group or falling on your face (it’s shallower than it looks!) while it’s dark outside and you have very little grasp on the geography of the campus. Venturing back to this fountain during the day may mean less fountain hopping-related squealing and more relaxation/Zen time for you.

Cemex Auditorium

One step into the Knight Management Center (the business school) and you will know why we took econ. The Wall of Flipping Colors, or its official title, “Monument to Change,” is really too cool not to check out.

The Bender Room

180-degree views of campus, photos of other libraries, fine mahogany and leather bound books—the Bender Room is like a dream. Don’t wait until you’re too bogged down with p-sets and papers to check out these sweet digs. Heck, bite the bullet and learn your way around the libraries! Just don’t go to the South Stacks at night alone. Unless you’re with a squeeze, in which case that’s totally romantic/adventurous/not creepy.

Froshie’s Choice

You’re new on campus—take some initiative! Explore campus, find your new favorite dive and make friends! During Admit Weekend and NSO you spend most of your time laying the foundation for the next four years at Stanford. The moment when you finally see the start of your adventure—free from the confines and chaos of move-in, learning your dorm chants, all the NSO activities and trying to remember if you have your key on you—is probably one you will remember fondly.