Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer offside to end regular time, we're headed to golden goal and extra time: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer earns a corner on the counter: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Another Stanford header off of a corner goes wide: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Edwards for Skundrich: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford really lacking the last ball: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Vincent collides with heads with a UCI player: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Morris also back in: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Ty Thompson comes on for Austin Meyer: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
UCI look as though they may be content to try and play for penalties, no one even attempted to get on the end of the last cross: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

W. Tennis: Burdette in singles action today at U.S. Open; will also join partner Gibbs against Williams sisters

Senior Mallory Burdette and junior Nicole Gibbs are both in action at this week’s U.S. Open, with the duo facing Serena and Venus Williams this afternoon following Burdette’s second-round singles match against the Czech Republic’s Lucie Hradecka.

Both Burdette and Gibbs, the two top players in collegiate women’s tennis last year, have each won singles tournaments this summer, but only Burdette was fortunate enough to make it through the first round of this week’s major. Her 6-4, 6-3 win against Switzerland’s Timea Bacsinsky on Monday night kept her wild-card run alive.

Burdette’s singles match is set for 11 a.m. EST, and upon its completion she will join co-NCAA-doubles champion Gibbs for their meeting with the Williams sisters, a match that will not begin before 3 p.m. EST. Earlier this summer, Serena Williams handled Gibbs easily at Stanford’s own Bank of the West Classic, defeating the defending NCAA singles and doubles champion 6-2, 6-1.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.