RT @stanfordbball: That's the ballgame. Oregon takes it 73-70 after the inbounds pass falls short, is turned over.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @stanfordbball: Another Cardinal senior coming up in the clutch. Nastic knocks down two free throws and we're even at 70. Under a minute…: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @stanfordbball: Momentum has completely swung in the Cardinal's favor and Maples is rocking. Loudest it's been all year. 66-63 Stanford,…: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @stanfordbball: Stanford up 16-13 with 11:25 left in the first half. @bigmikehump3 leads all players with 7 points. D has forced 3 TO's,…: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: Doyle leads 1-0 in the third, Kostas leads 3-1 in the third- Stanford needs both matches to win. 3-2 Cal.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Keep an eye on @StanfordWTennis: down 3-1 to Cal, need to go 3-0 in remaining matches. Would be a huge comeback, but they're on their way: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: Kostas up 1-0 in the third, Doyle, up a set, entering tiebreak in the second, Zhao leads 6-5 in the third. Cal leads o…: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

W. Tennis: Burdette in singles action today at U.S. Open; will also join partner Gibbs against Williams sisters

Senior Mallory Burdette and junior Nicole Gibbs are both in action at this week’s U.S. Open, with the duo facing Serena and Venus Williams this afternoon following Burdette’s second-round singles match against the Czech Republic’s Lucie Hradecka.

Both Burdette and Gibbs, the two top players in collegiate women’s tennis last year, have each won singles tournaments this summer, but only Burdette was fortunate enough to make it through the first round of this week’s major. Her 6-4, 6-3 win against Switzerland’s Timea Bacsinsky on Monday night kept her wild-card run alive.

Burdette’s singles match is set for 11 a.m. EST, and upon its completion she will join co-NCAA-doubles champion Gibbs for their meeting with the Williams sisters, a match that will not begin before 3 p.m. EST. Earlier this summer, Serena Williams handled Gibbs easily at Stanford’s own Bank of the West Classic, defeating the defending NCAA singles and doubles champion 6-2, 6-1.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.