RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: This just feels like another one of those five-set marathon matches. Par for the course between these two teams.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two straight points for the Lions after the timeout, take first lead in the set since 6-5. Dunning calls another timeout.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

W. Tennis: Burdette in singles action today at U.S. Open; will also join partner Gibbs against Williams sisters

Senior Mallory Burdette and junior Nicole Gibbs are both in action at this week’s U.S. Open, with the duo facing Serena and Venus Williams this afternoon following Burdette’s second-round singles match against the Czech Republic’s Lucie Hradecka.

Both Burdette and Gibbs, the two top players in collegiate women’s tennis last year, have each won singles tournaments this summer, but only Burdette was fortunate enough to make it through the first round of this week’s major. Her 6-4, 6-3 win against Switzerland’s Timea Bacsinsky on Monday night kept her wild-card run alive.

Burdette’s singles match is set for 11 a.m. EST, and upon its completion she will join co-NCAA-doubles champion Gibbs for their meeting with the Williams sisters, a match that will not begin before 3 p.m. EST. Earlier this summer, Serena Williams handled Gibbs easily at Stanford’s own Bank of the West Classic, defeating the defending NCAA singles and doubles champion 6-2, 6-1.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.