Stanford at 11th in the first coaches poll of the season.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: Also, coach Shaw’s and Ty Montgomery’s comments today had a much more optimistic vibe re: Montgomery’s arm injury than …: 24 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jjarcega_22: Blessed to officially be committed to Stanford University!! #GoCard #NerdGang #Cali 🌲♦️🏈🙏: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

W. Tennis: Burdette in singles action today at U.S. Open; will also join partner Gibbs against Williams sisters

Senior Mallory Burdette and junior Nicole Gibbs are both in action at this week’s U.S. Open, with the duo facing Serena and Venus Williams this afternoon following Burdette’s second-round singles match against the Czech Republic’s Lucie Hradecka.

Both Burdette and Gibbs, the two top players in collegiate women’s tennis last year, have each won singles tournaments this summer, but only Burdette was fortunate enough to make it through the first round of this week’s major. Her 6-4, 6-3 win against Switzerland’s Timea Bacsinsky on Monday night kept her wild-card run alive.

Burdette’s singles match is set for 11 a.m. EST, and upon its completion she will join co-NCAA-doubles champion Gibbs for their meeting with the Williams sisters, a match that will not begin before 3 p.m. EST. Earlier this summer, Serena Williams handled Gibbs easily at Stanford’s own Bank of the West Classic, defeating the defending NCAA singles and doubles champion 6-2, 6-1.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.