Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Tennis: Klahn, Burdette continue improbable U.S. Open runs

Former Stanford tennis player Bradley Klahn ’12 pulled one of the upsets of the U.S. Open so far on Wednesday.

The 2010 NCAA singles champ knocked off the No. 36 player in the world, Austria’s Jurgen Melzer, in five sets, 4-6, 6-3, 7-5, 5-7, 6-4. If he can also defeat No. 13 Frenchman Richard Gasquet, he may set up a rematch of the 2011 NCAA singles final with USC’s Steve Johnson, who stunted Klahn’s defense of the title and went on to win two crowns in a row himself. Klahn will also compete in the doubles tomorrow with fellow American Chase Buchanan at 11 a.m. EST.

On the women’s side, senior Mallory Burdette continued her impressive run with a 6-2, 6-4 win over the Czech Republic’s Lucie Hradecka, setting up a third-round match with No. 3 Maria Sharapova.

Burdette’s Cardinal doubles partner, junior Nicole Gibbs, dropped out of the competition Wednesday after losing her first-round match to France’s Alize Cornet. Burdette and Gibbs were set to face the Williams sisters on Wednesday.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.