Stanford will play No. 1 Wake Forest (16-2-2) at Wake Forest next weekend.: 7 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
That's it folks. Stanford gets the 3-1 win off some beautiful goals from Morris (2) and Baird. On to the quarterfinals.: 7 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
GOAL STANFORD. Corey Baird puts the game out of reach. Stanford up two with just over 2 minutes to play.: 7 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
OSU shot goes wide. Less than 4 to play.: 7 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Andrew Epstein has had to be very active tonight. 6 saves so far, ties his season high from 10/18 vs. SDSU.: 7 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Things getting physical here at Cagan. Less than 10 to play, Buckeyes fighting to equalize things once more.: 7 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
JORDAN. MORRIS. AGAIN. Gorgeous goal to put Stanford back up, 2-1. His 10th of the season, 2nd of the night.: 7 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Sam Werner with a great look that goes just wide. Less than 15 to play in regulation.: 7 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Both teams trading opportunities here at Cagan, though Stanford still has 7-4 shot, 2-0 corner advantage in second half.: 7 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Tennis: Klahn, Burdette continue improbable U.S. Open runs

Former Stanford tennis player Bradley Klahn ’12 pulled one of the upsets of the U.S. Open so far on Wednesday.

The 2010 NCAA singles champ knocked off the No. 36 player in the world, Austria’s Jurgen Melzer, in five sets, 4-6, 6-3, 7-5, 5-7, 6-4. If he can also defeat No. 13 Frenchman Richard Gasquet, he may set up a rematch of the 2011 NCAA singles final with USC’s Steve Johnson, who stunted Klahn’s defense of the title and went on to win two crowns in a row himself. Klahn will also compete in the doubles tomorrow with fellow American Chase Buchanan at 11 a.m. EST.

On the women’s side, senior Mallory Burdette continued her impressive run with a 6-2, 6-4 win over the Czech Republic’s Lucie Hradecka, setting up a third-round match with No. 3 Maria Sharapova.

Burdette’s Cardinal doubles partner, junior Nicole Gibbs, dropped out of the competition Wednesday after losing her first-round match to France’s Alize Cornet. Burdette and Gibbs were set to face the Williams sisters on Wednesday.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' to reach Do-Hyoung Park or to jwallach 'at' to reach Jordan Wallach, keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.