RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gonzalez knocks it in from 31. ASU takes a 26-10 lead.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football camp update: secondary shaping up; Sanders fights for a spot in backfield, on special teams

Stanford football head coach David Shaw said Tuesday that he was pleased with the progress made by his secondary, which lost starters Michael Thomas, Delano Howell and Johnson Bademosi to graduation last year.

Junior cornerback Terrence Brown — who made nine starts in 2011 after an injury to highly-touted freshman Wayne Lyons — is approaching a leadership role because of his “field credibility,” Shaw noted. Fellow corner Barry Browning, who has started three games over each of his first two Stanford seasons, has also stood out for his maturity, but the Cardinal’s defensive backfield is still shaping up midway through training camp.

“The fact that we have good competition there is exciting,” Shaw said. “We have two guys who have played a lot there in Barry and Terrence, but also Wayne, who’s been chomping at the bit now to play, to get back on the field.”

The coaching staff is leaning Ed Reynolds’ way at free safety, but the strong safety competition is just shaping up, with sophomore Jordan Richards and junior Devon Carrington considered the frontrunners by their coach.

With USC’s Robert Woods and Marqise Lee coming to Stanford Stadium just a month from Wednesday, it still remains to be seen whether Stanford’s secondary can control the Pac-12’s elite receivers. Asked whether his guys match up, Shaw replied, “Not going to have to wait too long to find out, will we?”

***

The coaching staff has still yet to determine how — or if — it should use freshman running back Barry J. Sanders, son of NFL Hall of Famer Barry Sanders. A returning duo of tested backs, senior Stepfan Taylor and junior Anthony Wilkerson, is joined by journeymen Remound Wright and Ricky Seale, who have both impressed in fall camp.

Still, Sanders has been making defenders miss in practice, all the while making the decision that much harder for his coaches. The Cardinal did use five running backs (Taylor, Wilkerson, Jeremy Stewart, Tyler Gaffney and junior Usua Amanam, who is now a corner) consistently in 2010.

Sanders is also competing for time as a kick returner, but Shaw said that “if it’s just returning kicks and not anyplace else, that may not be enough to burn a redshirt.”

***

An update on lingering injuries: freshmen linebacker Noor Davis and offensive tackle Andrus Peat should be back within the next week, while sophomore offensive lineman Cole Underwood will likely miss the season with a knee injury Shaw described as “not as good as we had hoped.” Meanwhile, sophomore defensive tackle David Parry has earned the scholarship left vacant by Gaffney, who decided to leave the Farm to pursue a professional baseball career.

***

Sunday marks the Cardinal’s second open practice in nine days, as Stanford hosts its annual Open House event in Stanford Stadium from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Besides watching a scrimmage, fans will be treated to a behind-the-scenes tour and an autograph session.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a junior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.
  • GB

Man, they shouldn’t redshirt Barry Sanders. I can’t wait to see him play. As far as I’m concerned Stanford will be irrelevant if they do.