School of Medicine appoints new dean

July 19, 2012, 6:58 p.m.

Dr. Lloyd Minor, provost of The Johns Hopkins University, was named dean of the Stanford School of Medicine by Provost John Etchemendy yesterday.

Minor will take the role on Dec. 1 after almost eleven years of leadership by Dr. Philip Pizzo, who took the reins of the School of Medicine in 2001. As dean, Pizzo oversaw rapid facilities growth and implemented new curricular standards.

Provost Etchemendy called Minor “an exceptional researcher, clinician and academic administrator” in his announcement.

As provost and senior vice president for academic affairs at Johns Hopkins, Minor is the school’s chief academic officer and the second highest-ranking member of the administration. He oversees Johns Hopkins’ nine schools and their budgets.

At Stanford, he will lead one of the country’s leading medical research schools, its 1,500 faculty and more than 1,000 students. He hopes to expand on the school’s interdisciplinary focus, telling the School of Medicine that he has “extensive experience with the value of … cross-cutting interactions [in medicine].”

Minor served almost two decades at Johns Hopkins, first as a professor of laryngology and otology at the School of Medicine, then as chair of the otolaryngology department. In 2009, he was named provost while continuing to teach in the departments of otolaryngology, biomedical engineering and neuroscience. He is an expert on balance and inner ear disorders.

In 1995, he discovered superior canal dehiscence syndrome, or sound- or pressure-induced dizziness. He has published more than 140 articles and chapters focusing on the inner ear.

Minor was born in Little Rock, Ark., and received a B.S. and an M.D. from Brown University.

-Edward Ngai