BYU advances to the national championship after a four-set win over Texas. A tough tip call gave them match point at 25-24, clinched it then: 32 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TDC_WVolleyball: Here's an inside look into Stanford with The Stanford Daily's @jwallach12 ahead of tonight's match. Read it here: http…: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
BYU is continuing their cinderella run, leading Texas 2-0 behind the nation's leading block (3.9 bps entering today). STAN-PSU plays winner: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @PCarrESPN: Christen Press has her 1st int'l hat trick. She's the 3rd @StanfordWSoccer alum with a #USWNT hat trick (@JulieFoudy & Sar…: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @ussoccer_wnt: A first half hat trick for Press. It's the first of her WNT career and gives her 18 goals in 35 games. Two goals for Lloy…: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Swimming: Former NBAC coach Scott Armstrong hired as assistant coach

Ted Knapp, the Goldman Family Director of Men’s Swimming, announced the hiring of Scott Armstrong as the Cardinal’s new men’s swimming assistant coach on Wednesday.

Armstrong’s impressive coaching resume includes serving as associate head coach at the North Baltimore Aquatic Club, one of the best swimming clubs in the nation at both the age-group and professional levels. Since landing at NBAC in 2003, Armstrong has helped coach Olympic stars Michael Phelps and Katie Hoff, and has also worked with world-class coaches including Bob Bowman and Paul Yetter.

Beyond his club experience, Armstrong was the coach of the junior national team. In 2010, he led the women’s squad to a title at the Junior Pan Pacific Championships.

Armstrong was a standout swimmer and senior captain at Johns Hopkins University prior to his coaching career. The 2003 graduate was an 18-time All-American who also broke the Division-III collegiate record in the 1,650-yard freestyle.

Knapp, the former Cardinal assistant coach, was named head coach in May following Skip Kenney’s retirement.

-George Chen

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.