Shaw on how he expects the team to respond: "I've got a locker room full of Stanford guys. They're leaders...I expect them to bounce back.": 6 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're going to attack like we're 0-12...but not overreact.": 6 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "They played extremely well...We got ourselves behind the eight ball." Identified third down and noise as big problems: 6 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Total domination from the Huskies tonight. Chris Petersen and his staff deserve a lot of credit for coming out firing and never letting up: 6 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Isaiah Brandt-Sims records his first career catch in his home state: 6 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford came into this game having allowed 3 total TDs. Cardinal have given up 6 tonight: 6 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Huskies add another touchdown. First time Stanford has surrendered over 40 points since 2014 at Oregon. UW leads 44-6.: 6 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
KJ Carta-Samuels in at QB. Inherits a very different situation compares to last year: 6 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford rolling in second unit on the defensive line here: 6 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

W. Tennis: Gibbs and Burdette compete with world’s best at Bank of the West Classic

This year’s Bank of the West Classic features the top two American collegiate tennis players playing on their home court. Earlier this season, rising junior Nicole Gibbs and rising senior Mallory Burdette established themselves as top contenders in a historic Cardinal sweep of the NCAA Championships final in May. Gibbs and Burdette won the doubles draw and placed as champion and runner-up, respectively, in singles.

Both earned wild-card berths for the Classic. On Tuesday, Gibbs faced qualifier Noppawan Lertcheewakarn of Thailand (No. 162 in the world) at 11 a.m. After trailing 2-0, Gibbs recovered to take the first set 6-4 and battled through consecutive ties to take the second set 6-4 for her first Women’s Tennis Association win.

That evening at 7 p.m., Burdette took on No. 77 Anne Keothavong of Britain. She lost the first set 6-2 but bounced back to battle out the second and third set 7-5 and 6-4, respectively, for another Cardinal win.

With their singles wins, both qualified for the second round, with Gibbs facing first-seeded Serena Williams (No. 4 in the world) Wednesday and Burdette facing second-seeded Marion Bartoli (No. 10 in the world) Thursday. Both were also selected to play in the doubles draw against third-seeded team Natalie Grandin and Vladimira Uhlirova on Wednesday afternoon.

At 3:25 p.m., Gibbs and defending champion Serena Williams, fresh off her fifth Wimbledon title this past Saturday, walked onto the Taube Family Tennis Stadium hardcourts to thunderous applause. Williams easily took a 4-0 lead in the first set with her signature powerful serves and groundstrokes, but Gibbs held on to take a game from Williams to move the set to 4-1 as the crowd roared. Williams took the next game, but then two straight errors by the favorite made it 5-2. There were cheers of “Go Gibbsy!” as groups of Stanford fans were refueled by Gibbs’s potential comeback. One more back-and-forth game closed the first set 6-2 in favor of Williams.

In the second set, Williams took five straight games as Gibbs struggled against her power and started making unforced errors near the end of games. In a dramatic sixth game served by Williams, Gibbs took the lead 40-15 and almost lost it as a frustrated and rejuvenated Williams took the advantage. Two unforced errors, however, gave Gibbs her first break of the match. A final Williams-dominated game earned her a 6-1 victory. Both sets took 62 minutes.

At the post-game press conference, Williams seemed impressed.

“It’s good to see promising young American players coming up,” Williams said. “She’s a fighter, and that’s important.”

Gibbs moved on after her loss to compete in the doubles match with Burdette at 5:40 p.m. on Court 6. The first set featured extremely close games, with the teams tied at 6-6. The tiebreaker, too, was tied at 3-3 until Grandin and Uhlirova made a break for it, leading 6-3 and eventually winning it 7-5.

The second set featured an early 2-0 lead by Burdette and Gibbs, though they would eventually give back ground as Grandin and Uhlirova pulled up to tie the set at 3-3. Three straight games by Burdette and Gibbs gave them the second set 6-3, evening the match and sending it to a decisive final set.

The third set was dominated by Grandin and Uhlirova, who won the deciding set 10-6, defeating the Cardinal duo 7-6(5), 3-6, 10-6.

Burdette will face the No. 2 seed of the tournament, Marion Bartoli, this afternoon in the singles draw at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.