Stanford will play No. 1 Wake Forest (16-2-2) at Wake Forest next weekend.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
That's it folks. Stanford gets the 3-1 win off some beautiful goals from Morris (2) and Baird. On to the quarterfinals.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
GOAL STANFORD. Corey Baird puts the game out of reach. Stanford up two with just over 2 minutes to play.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
OSU shot goes wide. Less than 4 to play.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Andrew Epstein has had to be very active tonight. 6 saves so far, ties his season high from 10/18 vs. SDSU.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Things getting physical here at Cagan. Less than 10 to play, Buckeyes fighting to equalize things once more.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
JORDAN. MORRIS. AGAIN. Gorgeous goal to put Stanford back up, 2-1. His 10th of the season, 2nd of the night.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Football: Four Cardinal players included on preseason watch lists for national awards

Both redshirt senior outside linebacker Chase Thomas and senior inside linebacker Shayne Skov are preseason candidates for the Bednarik award, given to the best defensive player in college football.

Thomas was an integral part of the Cardinal defense last season, averaging a Pac-12-leading 1.35 tackles for loss per game as well as 0.65 sacks per game. The inside linebacker also forced critical turnovers, as he was responsible for five forced fumbles, good for second in the conference and 10th in the nation.

Skov was unable to play for the majority of the past season due to a knee injury. During the 2010-2011 season, however, Skov accounted for a team-high 84 tackles and also racked up 7.5 sacks along the way.

On offense, redshirt senior center Sam Schwartzstein and redshirt sophomore tight end Levine Toilolo are on the preseason watch list for the Rimington Award and John Mackey Award, respectively.

Starting in every game last season, Schwartzstein played a huge part on a dominant Cardinal offensive line that gave up just 11 sacks and paved the way for 2,738 rushing yards.

Toilolo caught 25 passes for 343 yards last season as part of the Stanford tight end trio. Six of Toilolo’s receptions were touchdowns, second best on the team behind senior Coby Fleener’s 10.

George Chen

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at