Tyler Gaffney signs with Pittsburgh Pirates

July 5, 2012, 1:30 a.m.

Stanford baseball outfielder and football running back Tyler Gaffney signed with the Pittsburgh Pirates, Stanford officially confirmed on Monday.

Gaffney could have played one more season of football next fall as a senior but instead chose to forgo his eligibility in order to pursue a professional career in baseball.

“Stanford has been amazing. I can’t say enough. Brotherhood on each team. But I’m going to pursue a dream. I can’t pass this up,” announced Gaffney on his Twitter account.

Gaffney was drafted in the 24th round of the 2012 MLB Draft last month.

Over his three seasons with the Cardinal, he batted .301 and amassed eight home runs. During this past season, he hit .245, drove in 17 runs and scored 48. Gaffney earned All-Pac-10 honorable mentions during both his freshman and sophomore campaigns.

On the football field last fall, Gaffney rushed for 449 yards and scored seven touchdowns as a junior. Gaffney started out the 2011-2012 season as the third running back on the depth chart behind Stepfan Taylor and Anthony Wilkerson but gradually moved up to the number-two spot, and was featured in wildcat formations. He leaves the Farm with 815 career rushing yards and 12 touchdowns.

Gaffney could be joining his teammate Mark Appel, the Stanford ace who was selected eighth overall by the Pirates in the draft. Appel, however, has not officially signed with the Pirates yet.

George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].