Over the 5-game win streak in the Big Game, Stanford has outscored Cal 201-75.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
None of Stanford's seniors will leave this school ever having lost the Big Game. Fifth straight claim to the Axe for your Cardinal.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford is bowl-eligible with its sixth win of the season!: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And it's a final from California Memorial Stadium - Stanford 38, Cal 17 in the 117th Big Game.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's a senior victory formation for this Big Game - Eddie Plantaric, Ricky Seale, Jeff Trojan among the seniors out there.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will just take knees to end the game instead of running up the score.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
There's turnover number 5 - an easy pick by Terrence Alexander. Almost a pick 6, but knocked out of bounds at the 4.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gautam Krishnamurthi got in on that last drive for his final Big Game!: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Lasco hits the perimeter and rolls in for the garbage-time touchdown. It's now a 38-17 ballgame.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Basketball: Mark Madsen joins Cardinal basketball as assistant coach

After more than a decade away from the Farm, former basketball star Mark Madsen has returned to Maples Pavilion, this time as the new assistant coach for the Stanford men’s basketball team.

Stanford head coach Johnny Dawkins announced the move on Wednesday, hiring Madsen to replace associate head coach Dick Davey, who announced his retirement in March after four years with the Cardinal.

“I am very grateful to Coach Dawkins and Stanford University for the opportunity to join the basketball staff and work with such a highly talented group of student-athletes,” Madsen said. “I feel extremely fortunate to represent an institution that has meant so much to me, both personally and professionally. I’m excited to get started and look forward to contributing immediately as our program builds on last year’s success.”

The “Mad Dog” was a two-time All-American in his time on the Farm and helped lead the Cardinal to four NCAA tournament appearances, including the 1998 Final Four. The 6-foot-9 forward from Danville, Calif., averaged 10.9 points per game and 7.9 rebounds per game in his Stanford career.

Madsen was selected by the Los Angeles Lakers with the 29th pick in the 2000 NBA Draft and helped the Lakers to the 2001 and 2002 NBA titles. Madsen then spent six years with the Minnesota Timberwolves before retiring in 2009.

After his retirement, Madsen has spent the last two years in Stanford’s Graduate School of Business working towards his MBA.

- Jack Blanchat

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.