RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Basketball: Mark Madsen joins Cardinal basketball as assistant coach

After more than a decade away from the Farm, former basketball star Mark Madsen has returned to Maples Pavilion, this time as the new assistant coach for the Stanford men’s basketball team.

Stanford head coach Johnny Dawkins announced the move on Wednesday, hiring Madsen to replace associate head coach Dick Davey, who announced his retirement in March after four years with the Cardinal.

“I am very grateful to Coach Dawkins and Stanford University for the opportunity to join the basketball staff and work with such a highly talented group of student-athletes,” Madsen said. “I feel extremely fortunate to represent an institution that has meant so much to me, both personally and professionally. I’m excited to get started and look forward to contributing immediately as our program builds on last year’s success.”

The “Mad Dog” was a two-time All-American in his time on the Farm and helped lead the Cardinal to four NCAA tournament appearances, including the 1998 Final Four. The 6-foot-9 forward from Danville, Calif., averaged 10.9 points per game and 7.9 rebounds per game in his Stanford career.

Madsen was selected by the Los Angeles Lakers with the 29th pick in the 2000 NBA Draft and helped the Lakers to the 2001 and 2002 NBA titles. Madsen then spent six years with the Minnesota Timberwolves before retiring in 2009.

After his retirement, Madsen has spent the last two years in Stanford’s Graduate School of Business working towards his MBA.

- Jack Blanchat

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.