Shaw says front seven making up for lack of size with plenty of speed and quickness. Specific praise for Alfieri and Scarlett.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw: "Everybody in our conference can beat everybody in our conference. It's the Wild West every single week.": 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
On Hogan: "if he gets that ankle healthy, he once again becomes a dual threat in the pocket." Makes the bye week more important.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: Shaw: "We need this bye." Doesn't think a bye week will slow down the team's roll.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw individually praised McCaffrey, Sanders, Love and Wright. Clearly very pleased with his backfield.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw on Hogan: "He's playing the best football of his career.": 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Well that's just about it folks. Stanford improves to 4-1, 3-0 in Pac-12. Your final score from Stanford Stadium: Stanford 55 - Arizona 17.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Chryst has Risen. The sophomore QB to Stallworth, the first TD for both of them. Stanford breaks into the 50s, 4:03 to play.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Basketball: Mark Madsen joins Cardinal basketball as assistant coach

After more than a decade away from the Farm, former basketball star Mark Madsen has returned to Maples Pavilion, this time as the new assistant coach for the Stanford men’s basketball team.

Stanford head coach Johnny Dawkins announced the move on Wednesday, hiring Madsen to replace associate head coach Dick Davey, who announced his retirement in March after four years with the Cardinal.

“I am very grateful to Coach Dawkins and Stanford University for the opportunity to join the basketball staff and work with such a highly talented group of student-athletes,” Madsen said. “I feel extremely fortunate to represent an institution that has meant so much to me, both personally and professionally. I’m excited to get started and look forward to contributing immediately as our program builds on last year’s success.”

The “Mad Dog” was a two-time All-American in his time on the Farm and helped lead the Cardinal to four NCAA tournament appearances, including the 1998 Final Four. The 6-foot-9 forward from Danville, Calif., averaged 10.9 points per game and 7.9 rebounds per game in his Stanford career.

Madsen was selected by the Los Angeles Lakers with the 29th pick in the 2000 NBA Draft and helped the Lakers to the 2001 and 2002 NBA titles. Madsen then spent six years with the Minnesota Timberwolves before retiring in 2009.

After his retirement, Madsen has spent the last two years in Stanford’s Graduate School of Business working towards his MBA.

Jack Blanchat

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' to reach Do-Hyoung Park or to jwallach 'at' to reach Jordan Wallach, keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.