Baylor-TCU had 22 combined punts yesterday. 20 minutes in, Stanford-ND just hit 1.: 3 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Holding Bears to red zone FGs was the key to success for Stanford against Cal. Good start by the defense (and help from penalty).: 16 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Notre Dame with three quick first downs to get to Stanford 23 at end of quarter. This may be a shootout, folks.: 22 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Hogan --> Cajuste for the 6 yard touchdown. Cardinal's offense is rolling. With 1:54 left in quarter, time to see how Irish offense looks: 27 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Unbelievable catch and footwork by Michael Rector to get the first down.: 38 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
ND not going away easily. Irish respond immediately with a touchdown off a 92 yd kickoff return. All tied up here.: 47 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Remound "The Vulture" Wright gets the job done with a 1 yd reception, his second receiving TD of the year. Great opening drive for Cardinal.: 49 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Touchdown ruled short, but that was a beautiful play. Hogan looking quite good on the drive. 4-5 for 53 yds.: 52 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
McCaffrey seeing early success so far. 3 rushing attempts for 23 yards, 1 reception for 9.: 56 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Basketball: Mark Madsen joins Cardinal basketball as assistant coach

After more than a decade away from the Farm, former basketball star Mark Madsen has returned to Maples Pavilion, this time as the new assistant coach for the Stanford men’s basketball team.

Stanford head coach Johnny Dawkins announced the move on Wednesday, hiring Madsen to replace associate head coach Dick Davey, who announced his retirement in March after four years with the Cardinal.

“I am very grateful to Coach Dawkins and Stanford University for the opportunity to join the basketball staff and work with such a highly talented group of student-athletes,” Madsen said. “I feel extremely fortunate to represent an institution that has meant so much to me, both personally and professionally. I’m excited to get started and look forward to contributing immediately as our program builds on last year’s success.”

The “Mad Dog” was a two-time All-American in his time on the Farm and helped lead the Cardinal to four NCAA tournament appearances, including the 1998 Final Four. The 6-foot-9 forward from Danville, Calif., averaged 10.9 points per game and 7.9 rebounds per game in his Stanford career.

Madsen was selected by the Los Angeles Lakers with the 29th pick in the 2000 NBA Draft and helped the Lakers to the 2001 and 2002 NBA titles. Madsen then spent six years with the Minnesota Timberwolves before retiring in 2009.

After his retirement, Madsen has spent the last two years in Stanford’s Graduate School of Business working towards his MBA.

Jack Blanchat

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' to reach Do-Hyoung Park or to jwallach 'at' to reach Jordan Wallach, keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.