Shaw: No-call on Owusu hit was "questionable": 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
In the span of 25 seconds, Stanford scores 13 points to win the game. Cardinal escape a tough one in the Rose Bowl, 22-13.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
It's Hail Mary time in Pasadena.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Ten seconds left, UCLA needs 25 yards for a field goal attempt.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford leads 16-13, UCLA has 24 seconds to break their eight game losing streak to the Cardinal.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Arcega-Whiteside had no catches before this game. Huge day is an understatement.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
First and goal Stanford with 29 seconds remaining. Let's see which team wants it more.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Another catch for Arcega-Whiteside, who is now Stanford's second leading reciver: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Trenton Irwin has 20 more yards than the rest of Stanford combined.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford gets the stop. Cardinal have 2:05, no timeouts, need a touchdown.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Basketball: Mark Madsen joins Cardinal basketball as assistant coach

After more than a decade away from the Farm, former basketball star Mark Madsen has returned to Maples Pavilion, this time as the new assistant coach for the Stanford men’s basketball team.

Stanford head coach Johnny Dawkins announced the move on Wednesday, hiring Madsen to replace associate head coach Dick Davey, who announced his retirement in March after four years with the Cardinal.

“I am very grateful to Coach Dawkins and Stanford University for the opportunity to join the basketball staff and work with such a highly talented group of student-athletes,” Madsen said. “I feel extremely fortunate to represent an institution that has meant so much to me, both personally and professionally. I’m excited to get started and look forward to contributing immediately as our program builds on last year’s success.”

The “Mad Dog” was a two-time All-American in his time on the Farm and helped lead the Cardinal to four NCAA tournament appearances, including the 1998 Final Four. The 6-foot-9 forward from Danville, Calif., averaged 10.9 points per game and 7.9 rebounds per game in his Stanford career.

Madsen was selected by the Los Angeles Lakers with the 29th pick in the 2000 NBA Draft and helped the Lakers to the 2001 and 2002 NBA titles. Madsen then spent six years with the Minnesota Timberwolves before retiring in 2009.

After his retirement, Madsen has spent the last two years in Stanford’s Graduate School of Business working towards his MBA.

Jack Blanchat

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.