M. Golf: Stanford tied for 13th after first round of NCAAs

The Stanford men’s golf team shot a 293 (+9) on Tuesday, placing it in a tie for 13th with Kent State after the first day of the NCAA Championships at the Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif. The Cardinal is eight strokes behind current leader Alabama (285) and just three strokes away from the eighth place spot, which is the cutoff for teams to advance to match play.

The NCAA tournament consists of three rounds of stroke play before the 30-team field is trimmed to eight teams, which then compete against one another in a match play tournament.

Freshman Patrick Rodgers was the only Cardinal player to break par on the day, shooting a 69 (-2) in the first round to put him in a six-way tie for fourth place and two strokes behind the leader, UCLA’s Anton Arboleida. Rodgers, who was ranked No. 3 entering the tournament, recorded four birdies against two bogeys. Juniors Andrew Yun and Steven Kearney both shot opening rounds of 74 (+3) to tie for 62nd. Freshman Patrick Grimes shot a 75 (+5) and sophomore Cameron Wilson shot a 79 (+8)

Today, the Cardinal will again be paired with conference foes Washington and Oregon in the second day of the NCAA Championships.

–Caroline Caselli

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.