Burns hits Irwin for a gain of 25. Stanford in the red zone.: 10 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
There's a positive for Stanford: McCaffrey takes the return for 57 yards. Makes UW pay for kicking it to him.: 11 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Gaskin having himself a nice game: 10 rushes for 57 yards and 2 TDs. UW finding creative ways of opening lanes for #9.: 12 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Myles Gaskin punches it in from 8 yards out. PAT is good and UW leads 30-0.: 15 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Tonight is the largest attendance since the reopening of Husky Stadium in 2013: 16 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
After UW recovers the ball, Browning takes another shot downfield. PI called on Lloyd: 21 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford muffs the punt and Washington recovers. Nightmare just gets worse: 22 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
UW about to punt for the first time today. Had previously scored on every possession: 23 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
The lack of discipline of a traditionally intellectual and disciplined team is startling to see for the Cardinal.: 49 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Though the stadium reportedly didn't sell out, there is not an empty seat. The crowd noise has been a major factor in the game.: 50 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Men’s swimming coach Skip Kenney retires after historic career

Stanford men’s swimming head coach Skip Kenney is calling it a career after 33 years on the Farm. The 69-year-old coach was one of the legends of the swimming world, winning 31 consecutive conference titles from 1982 through 2012, a streak that more than doubles the previous Pac-10 record for any sport (John Wooden’s 14-year streak in men’s basketball at UCLA).

Stanford men's swimming head coach Skip Kenney is retiring after 33 years on the job. Kenney led Stanford to seven NCAA titles and 31 straight conference championships. (Courtesy of Dani Vernon)

During this same 31-year period, Kenney led Stanford to a top-four national finish every year, the longest streak in history. Kenney won seven NCAA titles in his 33-year run after the Cardinal had just one title and four top-three finishes in the 45 years before Kenney arrived.

Under Kenney’s leadership, Stanford produced 72 individual NCAA champions, 134 All-Americans and 1,086 total All-American awards in 33 years. In addition, 20 athletes went on to the Olympics, winning a total of 18 medals. Kenney coached many of them as Olympic head coach of men’s swimming in the 1996 Games.

Perhaps most importantly for the six-time National Coach of the Year and 20-time Pac-10 Coach of the Year, Kenney had a 100 percent graduation rate during his tenure at Stanford, including 10 Academic All-Americans.

The Long Beach State graduate never swam competitively, but he has made an enormous impact on the swimming world as a coach. Kenney will coach Stanford swimmers through the U.S. Olympic Trials on July 2 before calling it quits.

– Jacob Jaffe

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.
  • Stanford mom

Congratulations on your retirement and an amazing career! The Farm will miss you.

• Lindambahlman

Remember you from The Beach – Congrats on a great career!