ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: This just feels like another one of those five-set marathon matches. Par for the course between these two teams.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Golfer Rodgers named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year

Stanford men’s golfer Patrick Rodgers was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year on Monday, marking the third time a member of the Cardinal has won the award and the first time since 2005. The honor tops off an outstanding campaign that included eight top-10 finishes and two individual victories.

Rodgers, listed No. 3 in Golfweek’s latest rankings, was a highly touted recruit after a stellar high school career in Avon, Ind. He got off to a quick start for the Card, finishing as the team’s low scorer in all four of the fall tournaments and posting a top-seven finish in each. Rodgers was also named to the All-Pac-12 First Team, joining an impressive list that includes Stanford junior Andrew Yun and UCLA sophomore Patrick Cantlay, who posted the best amateur score at this year’s Masters.

At the Pac-12 Championships in Corvallis, Ore., Rodgers placed eighth with a score of 8-under, including a tournament-best mark of 65 in the third round. He was the top finisher among conference freshmen and second-best for Stanford, which finished sixth overall in a disappointing showing.

Rodgers captured his first career victory back in his first collegiate tournament in September at the Olympia Fields/Fighting Illini Invitational, where he shot a 4-under 206 to pace the Cardinal to a 16-shot team victory. Rodgers was the first Cardinal golfer to win his first college tournament since Tiger Woods accomplished the same feat 17 years ago.

Rodgers’ second career win came in April at the Western Intercollegiate at Pasatiempo Golf Club in Santa Cruz, Calif., where he beat Cantlay and New Mexico State’s Justin Shin by two shots.

As a result of his solid play all year long, Rodgers was named as one of 10 semifinalists for the 2012 Ben Hogan Award, presented annually to the nation’s top collegiate golfer. Additionally, Rodgers, along with Yun, was named to the 2012 Palmer Cup team, a Ryder Cup-style competition in June that matches the United States’ best college golfers against the best college golfers from Europe .

Rodgers will be back in action from May 17 to 19 when Stanford hosts the NCAA West Regional. The Cardinal will be the second seed in the regional, and the field includes Pac-12 champion Cal, the top seed, and conference foe Oregon State.

-Jack Blanchat and Zach Zimmerman

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.