Stanford will play No. 1 Wake Forest (16-2-2) at Wake Forest next weekend.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
That's it folks. Stanford gets the 3-1 win off some beautiful goals from Morris (2) and Baird. On to the quarterfinals.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
GOAL STANFORD. Corey Baird puts the game out of reach. Stanford up two with just over 2 minutes to play.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
OSU shot goes wide. Less than 4 to play.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Andrew Epstein has had to be very active tonight. 6 saves so far, ties his season high from 10/18 vs. SDSU.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Things getting physical here at Cagan. Less than 10 to play, Buckeyes fighting to equalize things once more.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
JORDAN. MORRIS. AGAIN. Gorgeous goal to put Stanford back up, 2-1. His 10th of the season, 2nd of the night.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Baseball: Rain, Tigers can’t slow down Cardinal

After a fortuitous, weather-induced day off gave the No. 6 Stanford baseball team some much-needed rest, the Cardinal beat Pacific 8-3 at home last night and put away the Tigers in a midweek matchup for the second time this season.

Junior second baseman Kenny Diekroeger (above) went 3-for-3 with three extra-base hits to lead the Stanford baseball team to an 8-3 win over Pacific on Wednesday night. (MEHMET INONU/The Stanford Daily)

Redshirt sophomore lefthander Garrett Hughes pitched five brilliant innings for his first career win, and Stanford (21-8, 4-5 Pac-12) got more consistent production from its top six batters to control the action at Sunken Diamond from start to finish. Junior leftfielder Tyler Gaffney stole two bases while junior second baseman Kenny Diekroeger had one of his best games of the year, recording three extra-base hits.

The Cardinal would have played 13 games in 17 days had rain not delayed the contest with the Tigers, which was originally scheduled for Tuesday. Instead, Stanford came in fresh and jumped on Pacific (10-21, 0-3 Big West) early and often to secure its third straight win.

“This is the kind of team we know we are,” Diekroeger said of the Cardinal’s 27 runs in two games. “It’s definitely good news to just know that we’re back to the old ways.”

For Hughes (1-0), a former high-school All-American who missed all of 2011 with an injury and got his first career start against these same Pacific Tigers over two years ago, the win felt validating after two years of frustration.

“It’s a great feeling to get out there and pitch again,” he said. “I went out there with a lot more confidence today than I did two years ago, as a freshman, and I’m excited going forward.”

Stanford got on the board with a sacrifice fly from junior centerfielder Jake Stewart in the bottom of the second, and made it 3-0 with a two-out rally in the third. With Gaffney on second after being hit by a pitch and stealing second, junior third baseman Stephen Piscotty doubled him home and later came around to score on a single by sophomore first baseman Brian Ragira.

Hughes cruised through the first three innings and looked poised to get out of a fourth-inning jam when he snagged a one-out, comeback chopper. The redshirt sophomore couldn’t convert the double play, however, overthrowing second to bring home an unearned run.

He added two more innings of solid work before departing, giving up only four hits.

“You could just tell that he was pitching with something to prove out there,” said Diekroeger, Hughes’ roommate. “You could really tell that he was giving it his all, and that’s what we really need from our guys on the mound.”

Stanford quickly got that run back in the bottom of the fourth, as junior catcher Eric Smith and Diekroeger led off with a single and a double. Shortstop Lonnie Kauppila brought them both around to score on a double of his own — just the fifth of the season for the sophomore — and came home on a Gaffney single later in the frame, making it 6-1.

Diekroeger launched his second homer of the year deep over the left-field fence to add another tally in the fifth.

Pacific narrowed the margin by two runs in the sixth off sophomore righty Sam Lindquist, but an error and a wild pitch by the Tigers in the bottom of the seventh got Stanford an 8-3 lead that the Cardinal would hold. Diekroeger also added his second double of the night in the seventh, making for a team-leading 12 two-baggers on the season.

“I’m just trying to see the ball well and put a good swing on it,” Diekroeger said of his 3-for-3 performance. “Sometimes you hit the ball hard three times and go 0-for-3.”

Stanford will now prepare to host No. 16 Oregon in a three-game series this weekend, with the opener starting Friday at 5:30 p.m.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at"