79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Miscues and sloppy passing from Stanford cue another BYU run, and the lead is back to 9 at 68-59 with 6 minutes to go.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Tennis: Oregon and Washington swept aside; Pac-12s just two weeks away

The No. 11 Stanford men’s tennis team began its spring quarter on a particularly strong note over the weekend, shutting out both Oregon and Washington in back-to-back 7-0 victories.

Freshman John Morrissey notched his 20th and 21st wins of the season this weekend against Oregon and Washington, remaining the team leader in victories as Stanford moves towards the end of its Pac-12 season. (ALISA ROYER/The Stanford Daily)

These two Pac-12 matches were important tests for a Cardinal team that is trying to build momentum and strong play in anticipation of the inaugural Pac-12 Championships, beginning on April 25 and the season-ending NCAA tournament in mid-May.

Stanford is coming off three spring-break matches that had varying levels of success; the team got trounced 6-1 by No. 7 Pepperdine, then bounced back with two solid wins against Pac-12 foes Arizona and Colorado. Those were Stanford’s first Pac-12 matches of the season, and coupled with those from this past weekend, gave the Cardinal a 4-0 record in Pac-12 play with matches against USC, UCLA and Cal remaining.

Against the No. 62 Ducks on Friday afternoon, Stanford dominated from the very start to collect its first shutout of the year. Playing out of the No. 6 spot, sophomore Daniel Ho recorded another impressive win to give Stanford a 2-0 lead. The senior tandem of Bradley Klahn and Ryan Thacher, who head coach John Whitlinger called his “pair of No. 1 players,” continued their dominance on both the singles and doubles courts, easily taking both of their individual matches after a tough 8-6 doubles win.

Complementing the strong play of the seniors, freshman Robert Stineman cruised through his match at the No. 5 court, notching his team-leading 20th win of the year while his classmate John Morrissey won at No. 4 for his 11th consecutive victory, a streak that dates back to Feb. 4.

Stanford continued its strong play from Friday into its match Saturday against the tricky No. 22 Huskies. Adding to the intrigue of Saturday’s match were the Senior Day festivities, a celebration of Klahn and Thacher, who have both had outstanding careers for the Cardinal.

Klahn and Thacher have had many special moments during their Cardinal careers — most notably their eight doubles titles since teaming up together as freshmen. They have also directed the Cardinal to three straight NCAA tournament appearances, including a quarterfinal berth last season. Klahn also has the most prestigious collegiate singles title to add to his ledger, the 2010 NCAA singles championship.

“It is obviously a special occasion for Ryan and I, and I have been very lucky to have him as a teammate, doubles partner and friend every step of the way for four years on the team,” Klahn said. “It is hard to believe my time at Stanford is nearing the end, and I have been very fortunate to attend such an incredible university and play with a great group of teammates and coaches. I couldn’t ask for a better group to battle day-in and day-out with, and that is what makes every match so special.”

The match on Saturday began with a closely contested doubles point that came down to the third doubles court, where the freshman duo of Morrissey and Stineman was locked in a battle for the match’s pivotal first point. True to the form they have shown all year, the freshmen rose to the challenge and outlasted their opponents 9-8 in a tiebreaker, paving the way for the Cardinal’s victory.

Stanford has a quick turnaround with its penultimate home match against San Francisco on Tuesday. The squad then hits the road for a crucial road trip to Los Angeles to battle the No. 5 UCLA Bruins and the No. 1 USC Trojans, which both crushed Stanford in their meetings earlier in the season.