RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gonzalez knocks it in from 31. ASU takes a 26-10 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Tennis: Oregon and Washington swept aside; Pac-12s just two weeks away

The No. 11 Stanford men’s tennis team began its spring quarter on a particularly strong note over the weekend, shutting out both Oregon and Washington in back-to-back 7-0 victories.

Freshman John Morrissey notched his 20th and 21st wins of the season this weekend against Oregon and Washington, remaining the team leader in victories as Stanford moves towards the end of its Pac-12 season. (ALISA ROYER/The Stanford Daily)

These two Pac-12 matches were important tests for a Cardinal team that is trying to build momentum and strong play in anticipation of the inaugural Pac-12 Championships, beginning on April 25 and the season-ending NCAA tournament in mid-May.

Stanford is coming off three spring-break matches that had varying levels of success; the team got trounced 6-1 by No. 7 Pepperdine, then bounced back with two solid wins against Pac-12 foes Arizona and Colorado. Those were Stanford’s first Pac-12 matches of the season, and coupled with those from this past weekend, gave the Cardinal a 4-0 record in Pac-12 play with matches against USC, UCLA and Cal remaining.

Against the No. 62 Ducks on Friday afternoon, Stanford dominated from the very start to collect its first shutout of the year. Playing out of the No. 6 spot, sophomore Daniel Ho recorded another impressive win to give Stanford a 2-0 lead. The senior tandem of Bradley Klahn and Ryan Thacher, who head coach John Whitlinger called his “pair of No. 1 players,” continued their dominance on both the singles and doubles courts, easily taking both of their individual matches after a tough 8-6 doubles win.

Complementing the strong play of the seniors, freshman Robert Stineman cruised through his match at the No. 5 court, notching his team-leading 20th win of the year while his classmate John Morrissey won at No. 4 for his 11th consecutive victory, a streak that dates back to Feb. 4.

Stanford continued its strong play from Friday into its match Saturday against the tricky No. 22 Huskies. Adding to the intrigue of Saturday’s match were the Senior Day festivities, a celebration of Klahn and Thacher, who have both had outstanding careers for the Cardinal.

Klahn and Thacher have had many special moments during their Cardinal careers — most notably their eight doubles titles since teaming up together as freshmen. They have also directed the Cardinal to three straight NCAA tournament appearances, including a quarterfinal berth last season. Klahn also has the most prestigious collegiate singles title to add to his ledger, the 2010 NCAA singles championship.

“It is obviously a special occasion for Ryan and I, and I have been very lucky to have him as a teammate, doubles partner and friend every step of the way for four years on the team,” Klahn said. “It is hard to believe my time at Stanford is nearing the end, and I have been very fortunate to attend such an incredible university and play with a great group of teammates and coaches. I couldn’t ask for a better group to battle day-in and day-out with, and that is what makes every match so special.”

The match on Saturday began with a closely contested doubles point that came down to the third doubles court, where the freshman duo of Morrissey and Stineman was locked in a battle for the match’s pivotal first point. True to the form they have shown all year, the freshmen rose to the challenge and outlasted their opponents 9-8 in a tiebreaker, paving the way for the Cardinal’s victory.

Stanford has a quick turnaround with its penultimate home match against San Francisco on Tuesday. The squad then hits the road for a crucial road trip to Los Angeles to battle the No. 5 UCLA Bruins and the No. 1 USC Trojans, which both crushed Stanford in their meetings earlier in the season.