M. Tennis: Klahn and Thacher take home Pacific Coast Doubles crown

Seniors Bradley Klahn and Ryan Thacher repeated as Pacific Coast Doubles champions on Sunday in La Jolla, Calif., fending off the independent duo of Kris Kwinta and John Peers in a tight 6-4, 6-4 match.

Seniors Bradley Klahn (left) and Ryan Thacher captured their second consecutive Pacific Coast Doubles title on Sunday, making them the first to win the crown in consecutive years since former Stanford All-Americans Jared Palmer and Jonathan Stark did so in the early 1990s. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

After winning the same title last March, Klahn and Thacher are now the first doubles team to win the Pacific Coast crown in back-to-back seasons in over 20 years. The last pair to do so was former Stanford All-Americans Jared Palmer and Jonathan Stark, who both went on to win multiple Grand Slam titles after reaching the 1991 NCAA Doubles final together and taking home the 1990 team national title.

Klahn and Thacher breezed through their early matches, dropping just four games in the first two rounds. They stormed past Peter Lucassen and Jaak Poldma of Pac-12 rival and three-time defending NCAA champion USC in the fourth round before getting past a duo from Cal 6-4, 6-1 in the quarterfinals.

On Sunday, Klahn and Thacher beat Sebastian Fanselow and Jenson Turner of Pepperdine 6-2, 7-6 (3) in their semifinal match before moving on to the finals.

Stanford freshmen John Morrissey and Robert Stineman also participated in the tournament, falling in the third round to the UCLA duo of Dennis Mkrtchian and Maxime Tabatruong.

—Joseph Beyda

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.