Op-Ed: Putting the Fadi Quran episode in perspective

This past week has seen two op-eds published in The Daily supporting Fadi Quran and trying to mobilize the campus to issue a resolution expressing concern for his welfare. I find it a bit ironic that the discussion in the ASSU Senate took place after Fadi was released from prison, but this, perhaps more than anything, highlights the conviction among certain groups on this campus to issue anti-Israel resolutions at all costs.

What is more concerning to me is the way in which Israel has been represented in these op-eds. As if for some reason Israel has nothing better to do with its resources and the lives of its young men than to occupy the Palestinians, and according to an op-ed piece published yesterday by Jeff Mendelman (“Shame on us,” March 1), it somehow “benefits” from the occupation “at the expense of the Palestinians.”

So lets just get one thing straight here: Nobody wants to occupy the Palestinians. Not the Israeli people, not the Israeli government and certainly not the Israeli soldiers who are shown on the video footage arresting Fadi. I can assure you that these soldiers, who are most likely 20 years old, would much rather be at college than be drafted into the army, where they face stones and Molotov cocktails on good days, and live fire and suicide bombers on bad ones.

So if nobody wants it, why does it still exist? Well, lets start with a brief history lesson. In the past 12 years, Israel unilaterally withdrew its forces from two areas under its control in the hope of achieving peace with its neighbors. In 2000 Israel withdrew from southern Lebanon, and in 2006 they did the same from the Gaza Strip. In return, Israel has been attacked with more than 10,000 rockets and missiles from the terrorist organizations which took over: Hezbollah and Hamas. And while Israel is being criticized here almost daily, no one seems to be bothered by the fact that the charters of these organizations openly call for the destruction of the state of Israel and the rejection of any peace initiative with the state of Israel – and the latter even calls for the murder of Jews wherever they may be.

But what does all that have to do with a non-violent protest against the occupation? Well, according to a recent poll conducted by the Palestinian Center for public opinion, support for the Hamas organization is on the rise, and it has recently joined the official Palestinian government. Furthermore, according to the same poll, the overwhelming majority of Palestinians’ notion of peace includes the right of return. The right of return essentially means that five million Palestinian refugees will be allowed to immigrate to Israel, almost doubling its current population. This is effectively a call to the destruction of Israel. And when the current chairman of the Palestinian authority refuses to even utter the words “Jewish state,” let alone acknowledge its right to exist, one does not need to think very hard about what a unilateral Israeli withdrawal from the West Bank would look like. This time however, Israel’s enemies would be able to establish their bases just 10 miles away from Israel’s largest cities. Just imagine Al-Qaeda setting up shop in San Jose and you would get the idea.

So next time someone talks to you about ending the occupation, remember to read the fine print, because any discussion of the occupation without addressing these concerns is simply slander against the state of Israel. Now don’t get me wrong, I support Fadi, his non-violent ways, and I support his goal of establishing a Palestinian state. I just want to see it established alongside the state of Israel, not in its place.

Gil Shotan ’12

Former soldier in the Israeli Defense Force

• Jnjtng

You’re in one point right: “Nobody wants to occupy the Palestinians”, but all too many want to occupy Palestinian LAND, unfortunately with people. There are a lot of Israelis who want the LAND which they call Judaea and Samaria without people, saying “Go to Jordan!” True or not?

• Mark Richey

Israelis are trained not to use obviously genocidal rhetoric when talking to the US press, so they conceal the extent of deliberate ethnic cleansing that is occurring in occupied territories against all international law.   They pretend this doesnt exist, and even claim to want a Palestinian state, even while official Israeli policy is to annex all the Palestinian land as soon as it can be adequately cleaned of Palesenian inhabitants.

This is like a burglar claiming to believe in fair treatment for his victims, while holding a gun to their heads as  his partner ransacks the house.

• Anonymous

If you’re a Palestinian in Palestine, you don’t get a pretty essay like this. You get an arrest at 3 AM without charges, Israeli guns in your face, and your family terrified for life.

That’s if you’re lucky, if you don’t assert a single word in your defense, and if the soldiers are in a good mood.

I would like to know why there are no essays here from Palestinians who have been through that treatment. Oh yeah — they’re dead, imprisoned, caged, and voiceless.

But never fear. The Israeli army will speak for them.

• Sal

Umm maybe the Israeli solders are not in a good mood since so many “Palestinians” terrorists (they really aren’t Palestinians more like Jordanians) have bombed them and their people.

• Josh Green

The solders who arrested Fadi were just doing their job. I’ve been to Hebron and seen the danger that IDF soldiers face every day. They have the right to act in their own defense, as they did with Fadi.

• farmdad

Just where exactly is this ethnic cleansing of Palestinians taking place?  The Palestinian population in the West Bank has been consistently increasing, not decreasing, with a current growth rate that is more than twice the total population growth rate in the United States.  The only ethnic cleansing that exists in the West Bank is the explicitly stated goal of Fatah, Hamas, and  folks like you to rid the territory of all Jews.

• Jnjtng

The term “ethnic cleansing” overestimates the situation in the state of Israel. However, the ongoing process at El Kuds neighborhood Silvan (Arab Jersualem) is well documented as ethnic cleansing in the sense of expropriation on the basis of ethnicity. Same with about 20 to 50 thousand Bedouins of the Negev desert. Many examples can be given. It is not about demonizing Israel, but to be critical against some important (and sometimes disgusting) aspects of Israeli policy. this should be open discussed such as the policy of administrative detainment of demonstraters even of children. My experience is that Pro-Israel americans and also Israelis don’t accept to be wrong on a single point. This is very disappointing facing the fate of Fadi Quran who was mistreated with pepper spray, humiliated, and brought to prison for near to nothing.
    See more at: http://www.btselem.org/

• Zeh Barur

My experience is pro-Palestinians don’t accept to be wrong on a single point, too.  Stalemate?

• Anonymous

Today, Jordanian-Arabs of The Palestinian Authority demand removal of “settlements” and that no Jewish communities be allowed in Judea (the so-called “West Bank”). Meanwhile, Egyptian-Arabs in Hamastan have ethnically cleansed Gaza of every ethnic Jew.

It would appear that people demanding the ethnic cleansing of Jews from these disputed territories envision one country (Israel) where Jews, Muslims and others may live as equals and another (Palestine) where Jews are verboten. If that isn’t Islamo-supremacist Apartheid, I don’t know what is.

Victims of anti-Semetic propaganda have proven Joseph Goebbels right– if lies are repeated often enough, then people will come to believe lies.

• Anonymous

Israeli citizens are white, black and everything in between; they include Arabs and Jews; Muslims, Christians, agnostics and atheists; they are Kurdish, Ethiopians, Russians, Polish, Iraqis, Yemenite and more. And every Israeli citizen can vote, participate in political life, and share beaches, bars and park benches.

As philosophy professor Bernard Harrison notes, “Israel is in fact, for better or worse, almost a textbook example of a multicultural society.”

And that truth by itself exposes claims about alleged Israeli “apartheid” as laughable and (it’s hard to think of a diplomatic way to put it) a big lie.

• Jnjtng

Thanks for your sophisticated argument ad hominem. I like this brutal way of argumentation preferred by Israelis. As always the answer to your statement is: If you want Israeli (and most often American) settlers on Palestinian land, why not Palestinian refugees in Israel and El Kuds? 

• Paul

I’ve been to Hebron and the only only ones in any danger are Palestinians at the hands of the couple of hundred Jewish supremacists and their army goons. Any search on the internet will show the grotesque injustices the native population suffer daily at the hands of these fascist lunatics (most of whom are from America, strangely enough)

• Luke

Moving immediately to Nazi-eliciting invective (“Jewish supremacists” … who are you, David Duke?) and the word “native” in the context of the Arab-Israeli conflict are generally good indicators that a person has no idea what they’re talking about. You seem a good case in point. Was the ancient community of Jews living in Hebron, until being massacred in 1929, non-native? If their children and co-religionists return, even if a few harbor bad feelings about that past, does this make them “fascists”? The goal should be genuine peaceful reconciliation between both parties, one that does not involve perversely fitting their histories into whichever mold best assuages your own western guilt.

• Josh Green

Hebron is a historically Jewish city and has great religious importance to Judaism.

• Student

I appreciate your perspective because of your moderate tone.  I think it glosses over some serious issues though: is there no other way to ensure Israel’s security than an occupation that makes the Palestinians prisoners? Checkpoints all over the occupied territories, illegality of non-violent protests, indefinite detention in prison…  Can you really say the Israeli government is blameless, as is the implication here? I think Fadi and many other protesters were simply speaking their mind, and they ACTUALLY are blameless.  When all the non-violent leaders of a peace movement are in Israeli prisons, who is supposed to speak up for the Palestinian people?

As one of the people at the Senate meeting in support of the bill, I want to say that this was not an excuse to “issue anti-Israel resolutions”… Fadi was released, but we were concerned that charges would be pressed, so the bill was still relevant.
    I think a broader problem here is people associated with SIA have an absolute refusal to hear any criticism towards the Israeli government. I would think the patriotic thing to do is criticize your own government so that it can improve. That, at least, is the way I feel about my government.

• farmdad

Hebron is the site of the world’s oldest Jewish
    community.  Jewish history there
    dates back to the time of Abraham; it was where King David was anointed.  Jews lived in Hebron almost continuously
    for 3000 years – with brief interludes thanks to the Crusaders and early
    Ottomans – until 1929 when an Arab mob murdered 10% of the Jewish population, maimed
    another 10%, and ethnically cleansed the city of the entirety of its surviving
    Jews.  (There was a righteous Arab
    who sheltered and saved 33 of his Jewish neighbors from the mob.)  A small number of Jewish families
    returned to Hebron in 1931, but they were evacuated by the British five years
    later due to the threat of another Arab massacre.  When Jordan occupied Hebron from 1948 to 1967, no Jews were
    allowed to live in the city or even visit to pray at the Jewish holy
    sites.  The Jewish Quarter was
    razed and the Jewish cemetery was desecrated.  A relatively small Jewish community of several hundred returned to Hebron since Israel took control of the territory after the Six Day
    War. 

Hebron, in its thousands of years of history, has never been
    under Palestinian Arab sovereignty. 
    In the last hundred years, it has gone from Ottoman control, to British
    Mandatory control, to Jordanian control as a result of a war of aggression, to
    Israeli control as a result of a war of self-defense, and now, to joint
    Palestinian Authority/Israeli control as a result of the Oslo II agreement in
    1995 and the Hebron Agreement in 1997, both signed by none other than Yasser
    Arafat.  So it is difficult to
    understand how Jews who have returned to land that was formerly inhabited by
    other Jews before they were massacred and banished, and IDF forces that have
    redeployed in Hebron in accordance with formal agreements signed by Yasser Arafat,
    are not entitled to be there.

Eighty percent of Hebron (Area H1) is under the control of
    the Palestinian Authority while 20% (Area H2) is under the control of the
    IDF.  The Arab section of H1 is a
    large, thriving city where a majority of the Palestinian Arab residents
    live.  Thousands of Palestinian
    Arabs live in Area H2, and the rest are free to travel there, but Jewish
    residents of Hebron are prohibited from even entering Area H1, let alone
    allowed to live there. 
    Effectively, the Palestinian Arab residents of Hebron have access to 98%
    of the city while the Jewish residents have access to only 3%.  Apartheid anyone? 

According to the agreements signed by Yasser Arafat, the IDF
    is solely responsible for the security of the Jewish community in Area H2.  Shuhada Street runs through Area H2,
    and therefore, by agreement, is regulated by the IDF with regard to the
    security of the Jewish community. 
    After the 1997 Hebron Agreement was implemented, Israel reopened Shuhada
    Street for Palestinian vehicular traffic. 
    But in late 2000, in response to a peace agreement offer that Arafat did
    not like, rather than making a counter-offer, the Palestinians initiated a
    terrorist war against Jewish civilians throughout Israel and the territories,
    Hebron included, the second Intifada.   Palestinians
    launched sniper attacks against the Jews of Hebron and nearby Kiryat Arba from
    the surrounding hills that were under the control of the Palestinian Authority,
    some fatal, as well as at least one fatal homicide bomb attack.  Even B’Tselem, the pro-Palestinian
    Israeli human rights organization, acknowledges that it was the second Intifada
    that prompted Israel to reinstitute more stringent restrictions of activity
    on Shuhada Street.  That was the
    tragic, self-defeating price of starting a war that targeted civilians.

The terrorist violence of the Intifada II stopped not
    because there was a change of heart, but because Israel unfortunately had to
    implement strict security measures to protect its citizens, security measures
    that are now claimed by some to be the cause of the problems in the
    region.   Let us pray for a
    day when these security measures are no longer necessary.

No, I don’t think that Israel is perfect and can do no
    wrong.  The Jews of
    Hebron who instigate violence against innocent Palestinians
    should be punished. 
    Israeli police who fail to investigate and charge
    Jewish residents who commit violence against Palestinians should be identified and punished and any systemic biases for looking the other
    way should be rooted out.

• Jnjtng

Thank you for a piece of history. Abraham (if he lived at all) is 3000 years dead, 1929 and 1935 long ago. But 1994? Why didn’t you  mention the massacre commited by the Jewish-American IDF commander Baruch Goldstein at Purim (!) 1994 with 29 killed and about 150 wounded? The victims and their families are living in Hebron. What else didn’t you mention in YOUR history of Hebron?

• Anonymous

You’re welcome. Albeit, no ‘ad hominem’ was expressed or implied.

Notwithstanding, it should be obvious to rational folks that Judea is (in fact) the historic homeland of the Jewish people. The obvious rejoinder will merely observe that (unlike Apartheid Gaza) Arab-Israeli citizens enjoy equal property rights in Israel.

What Apartheid Islamo-supremacism apologists are suggesting (not to cleverly) is that Judea and Samaria are somehow not subject to property rights reciprocity.

Naturally, that fascistic posture is perfectly consistent with ethnic cleansing Palestinian laws which enforce sharia death sentences for the “crime” of selling Judean land to an Israeli.

Try harder to avoid defending the indefensible sharia-inspired brutality of Apartheid Islamo-supremacists.

• Anonymous

Could someone explain this conundrum for me?

Why is it Muslims are free to violently conquer lands anywhere and everywhere
    without a word of protest from American Muslims, or any Muslims for that
    matter, but if Jews have a legally established homeland Muslims will never stop
    protesting against it? Why is this do you suppose? What explanation can be
    given other than as the Qur’an states repeatedly that Islam’s goal is to
    establish a worldwide caliphate in which all non-Muslims are subjugated.

For instance, Mohammed was born around 571 AD thousands and thousands of years
    after Hinduism, Buddhism and Judaism existed. But within a few centuries of
    Mohammed’s birth Islam had violently conquered vast sections of Asia, all of
    North Africa and smaller sections of Southern Europe.

Now Muslims tell us that all this land belongs to them even though, for
    instance, in Afghanistan they killed every last Buddhist who once lived there.
    According to Muslim logic per Israel shouldn’t this land belong to the
    Buddhists?

Or in North Africa all the Berbers have been forcibly converted to Islam or
    have been killed and now we’re told all this vast landmass belongs to Islam.
    That’s interesting, if not completely hypocritical. And what about Southern
    Thailand. Did anyone know that in the last several years something like 5,000
    Buddhists have been killed by Muslims because, or so we’re told, the land the
    Buddhists are on belongs to Islam. And Southern Russia? Muslims are
    relentlessly waging a slow reign of terror in Russia because, you guessed it,
    Russians are treating Muslims poorly and they should give up the Southern
    section of that country to Muslims.

Or, let’s take Sudan as another example. How many millions have been killed in
    Sudan? How many babies and children have starved in Sudan while Islamists steal
    the food from aid compounds? How many women have Muslims gang-raped in Sudan
    all because that land belongs to Muslims and only Muslims. All other people can
    go somewhere else to live, I guess.

And Kashmir? The same. Despite Hindus having lived there for 3,000 years –
    something like 2,000+ years before Mohammed was born – Muslims tell us Kashmir
    belongs to them. Amazing logic isn’t it?

And that brings us to Israel. Israel also belongs to Islam. Did you know that?
    It’s true. Even though it’s no bigger than a small pimple on the caliphate’s
    ass it is still their land and they will fight to the death to prove their
    point.

Doesn’t the logic here make a lot of sense. Isn’t it as clear as day? Of course
    it is. The world belongs to Islam and we’re mere players on their stage.

• Anonymous

Be wary of anyone who puts terrorists’ interests ahead of those of our Israeli allies. Leftist-fascists are determined to fight Hamas’ enemies to the last infidel.

See also, “Unholy Alliance : Radical Islam and the American Left”
    [Green Library Stack: HN90.R3 H583 2004]

• Anonymous

Typical.

Why do Muslims kill Buddhists in southern Thailand?

Why do Muslims kill Hindus in Pakistan?

Why do Muslims kill Chinese in NW China and Russians in
    southern Russia?

Why do Muslims kill Christians in Egypt, Iraq, Sudan,
    Pakistan, Nigeria and elsewhere?

Why do Muslims hang homosexuals and threaten genocide of
    Jews in Iran?

Why do Muslims subjugate women?

Why do Muslims kill Black Africans throughout Northern
    Africa?

What is the common thread here?  Is it American servicemen pissing on their
    hate-filled book or their hate-filled holy book that is the cause?

• farmdad

Baruch Goldstein was a terrorist.  He committed a monstrous act that is no more justifiable than the scores of Palestinian terrorist attacks and homicide bombings that have been committed.  It was his murderous act that prompted the IDF to place restrictions on Shuhada Street in 1994 to protect the Jewish population in Hebron from violent retaliation by their understandably angry Arab neighbors.  It might not seem fair, but that was the reality on the ground.  However understandable the impulse to retaliate, it would have been no more acceptable for the IDF to have stood by while the small Jewish population of Hebron was threatened with violence in reaction to Goldstein’s heinous act than it would be to have stood by if the Arab residents of Jaffa, for example, had been threatened with violence by an angry mob of Tel Aviv Jews after 21 Israeli teenagers were murdered and 132 others were maimed by a Palestinian suicide bomber at the Dolphinarium Disco in 2001.  Of course, the later was not necessary.

My point was that restrictions on Shuhuda were lifted after the 1997 Hebron Agreement only to be reimposed as a tragic but necessary consequence of the self-defeating violence of the Intifada 2.

The relatively small (but anything over 0 is too large) number of Israelis who glorify Goldstein are despicable.  The Arab survivors and families affected by his horrible act can at least be assuaged that the Israeli government will not honor Goldstein with a town square, teach their school children that he was a martyr to be venerated and modeled, or invite his mother to the UN to present political proposals.  On the contrary, after the Goldstein massacre, Israel banned the extremist Kach party with which he was affiliated and branded it a terrorist organization, passed a law prohibiting monuments to him and others like him, and dismantled a shrine that had been built by sickos who visited his grave site.

I provided the ancient history for context.  So you think 1929 and 1935 are too long ago to be relevant to anything?  I find that strange.  And shallow.  How about 1948?  Or 1967?  Or 1776?  Are they too long ago to be relevant to anything?  When does relevant history begin for you?  After you were born?  When you went to college?

• Wilfried Bose

I’m trying hard to remember the impassioned calls at the ASSU to condemn the City of Oakland in response to the arrests of more than one hundred non-violent protesters there last month.

But to your credit, I completely agree that the patriotic thing to do in solidarity with a country’s embattled citizens is to join voices with groups unabashedly supportive of its total destruction. For instance, I personally support reform in India by sponsoring the Lashkar-e-Taiba Fan Club. I know, it makes, like, total sense.

• Student

The relevance of an ASSU bill was that Fadi was a Stanford alum, and that this issue, specifically, affected Stanford students.

Obviously not saying it’s patriotic to support violent groups like Hamas or Al Qaeda or Lashkar-e-Taiba.  That is the opposite of the point I made, and the opposite of public statements by SPER, Fadi, and other non-violent protesters. I was very simply stating that it is valid AND patriotic for an ally of Israel to voice their concerns about the morality of specific actions of the Israeli government.  I don’t see how that’s crazy or nonsense…  

It would be nice to have an actual discussion rather than a heated argument, which it doesn’t seem like you’re willing to do…

• Jnjtng

First of all, did you read islomophbia, dehumanizing, and even obscene post of “arafat” and “gamesha_akba”? You will read hundreds of such hate mongering posts every day on Jerusalem Post, Arutz sheva  etc. Would you as a Non-Israeli trust that IDF-soldiers with such ideas will act in accordance to any human standard or humanitarian law? 
    Now my answer to You:

My approach to history as part of political
    discourse: I think that the lives and the opportunities of people actually
    living are more important than some (dubious) rights of property affiliated to
    an ethnic or religious idea: “Abraham is buried there”; . “Jews have lived until 1935 in Hebron therefore every Jew is allowed to live there even from Russia, Poland or US, even if never been in Hebron before”

You should also answer why Palestinian
    refugees should not return IN ACCORDANCE TO UN resolutions to their homes and their land which they
    themselves had to leave in 1948 , but all these
    people naming themselves “Jews” from over the world are allowed to live in the
    Westbank AGAINST international law. 
    You have to distinguish between the occupier
    and the occupied people. Occupation and settler policy was first since 1967 and 1980, Intifadas second. The security matter is important, but it is also
    one-sided to improve the security of occupying Israeli citizens on the expense
    of the indigenous people. In the case of Hebron,
    the safety of about 300 (362?) Israeli settlers to 70.000 Palestinians.
    In occupied territories the occupiers are
    responsible for the security of the occupied people and not only for their own
    security.
    Kach party is forbidden, but many thousands
    of former Kach affiliated people are part of the settler movement and are of influence
    in Israeli society and media.
    About 20.000 Israelis visited the Baruch
    Goldstein memorial every year until it was closed. and I fear many more agree
    with the murder of Itzak Rabin until now.

Sad story. Thanks fpr reading.

• Wilfried Bose

While I really liked your post’s demagogic excesses, my favorite part was in the first paragraph where you ingeniously argued that the existence of a free press in Israel is exactly the reason why we cannot trust the members of its armed forces. Brilliant!

• Ganesha_akbar

If one wishes to speak of “phobia”, one should speak instead of Candor-phobia, the fear of and revulsion toward perfectly legitimate criticisms of Islamo-supremacists.

Secular Muslims (interested in reform) are left unsupported precisely because most Leftists fear being accused (falsely) of hate-mongering by jihadists, more than they’re haunted for branding themselves as moral cowards for abandoning the defense of human rights.

• Jnjtng

As excuse for the so called “demagogic excesses”:
    I read Cicero too much: Quousque tandem abutere, Catilina [=Staunch supporter
    of Israel], patientia nostra?
    The rest ist silence.

• Notagain

Ugh.  Could one imagine a more cliched distillation of Zionist talking points?

• Wilfried Bose

I’m sorry, I wouldn’t have questioned your judgment if I knew you knew Latin.

• farmdad

IDF soldiers are among the finest, most decent young men and women I have met.  They tend not to be ideologues.  Just brave kids serving their country in a region that wants to see their country destroyed.

If the Arab states had not declared war and invaded Israel in 1948, there would have been no refugees.  This includes the Arab refugees who were displaced as a result of a war that their Arab brethren started, and the equal number of Jewish refugees who were kicked out of their homes and robbed of all their assets by their countries of origin, such as Syria and Iraq.  As with most wars throughout history, there is no more “home” for any of these refugees, Jewish or Arab, to go back to.  They just have to deal with it.  The vast majority of the 5 million Arabs who are considered entitled to the “right of return” have never stepped foot in the land that is Israel.  Both my parents were displaced from their homes in Europe during the war, and no one would even think that I was entitled to go back there and reclaim their former property 70 years later.

I know that this was  not the point you were making in your last comment, but I don’t understand the fixation that many have with the fact that some of the citizens of Israel were immigrants from Russia, Poland, etc., as if that means they are not entitled to live there.  The US has immigrants from Europe, Iran, Morocco, Lebanon, Mexico, and Venezuela, for example, and no one would claim they have no right to become citizens of the US just because they are not indigenous.  Why should a Russian Jew who legally purchased land and immigrated to Palestine in 1890 be less entitled to be there than an Arab from the Saudi Peninsula who immigrated to Palestine in 1946?  According to UNRWA, that Arab from Saudi could qualify as a Palestinian refugee by virtue of having been in Palestine for only 2 years.

This conflict really boils down to one fundamental question that requires only a yes or no answer.  Do you believe that the Jewish people are entitled to have a national homeland in the state of Israel?  If your answer is yes, it sets you apart from the Palestinian leadership, both Fatah and Hamas, and if they shared this answer, this conflict would be entirely resolvable.  If your answer is not, then there is not much to talk about.

• Ganesha_akbar

Return Muslim-occupied Cyprus and the ethnically-cleansed Hostage Ghost City of Famagusta (home of the desecrated St. Nicholas Cathedral)– then Stanford victimhood cultists can howl about the alleged “rights” of Muslim invaders to other lands (from the Phillipines to Morroco) from which apartheid Islamo-supremacists extirpated native populations through genocide. Those interested in exploring the history of Apartheid Islamo-supremacism in a more scholarly manner may read NYTimes bestseller, “The Legacy of Jihad: Islamic Holy War and the Fate of Non-Muslims” by Dr. Andrew Bostom. St. Nicholas called– he’d like his cathedral back.

• http://israelandpalestinediary.blogspot.com.au/ Samills1

Gil – why the violence to Fadi?  Slamming his head into the back of a jeep.  The two state solution is a charade Gil.  There may have been a brief time in the 1990s when it could have happened.  But I think that time is lost.

What lies ahead is Israel continuing to colonise the territories it has occupied for the past 46 years.  Eventually the world will reject the apartheid practices that come  with colonisation.  This is what even Barak and Olmert have warned of.  Sadly, a lot of people will die before the population of this region realise that a pluralistic democracy is the only way.  Something which we enjoy on the West.

• affinity

1. There ARE Palestinian Arabs in Israel. 20% of all Israeli citizens and elected MKs are Arabs who were palestinians who stayed. In contrast, Palestinian Arabs ethnically cleansed EVERY single Jew from the West Bank and Gaza and Jerusalem in 1948, from the other 80% of Palestine by 1946, from Hebron in 1929 and from Sfad in the 1800’s. Both Hamas and the PA have declared they will not allow a single Jew to live in any of “palestine” which they define as including Israel. 2. Israel is not putting anyone on “palestinian land.” The settlers live on land that is either private property owned by Jews or by government owned land. It is on land that many Palestinians WANT to possess as part of their state. Ironically, not only is much of the land private property owned by Jews who were ethnically cleansed in 1948, but the “settlements” are almost entirely or entirely in areas that the PA ALREADY agreed will become part of Israel under Oslo. Both sides already agreed to the basic land areas and that about 3% of the WB and Gaza would be part of Israel and that Israel would compensate with equivalent land swaps.