ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: This just feels like another one of those five-set marathon matches. Par for the course between these two teams.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Softball: Softball goes undefeated in Cathedral City

The No. 14 Stanford softball team went 5-0 at the Cathedral City Classic in Cathedral City, Calif., beating San Diego State and New Mexico State on Sunday to go undefeated in the three-day tournament.

Senior Ashley Hansen helped the Card grab an early lead against New Mexico State, hitting an RBI single to score freshman Hanna Winter in the top of the first. Classmate Jenna Becerra tallied an RBI of her own, driving home junior Jenna Rich in the top of the fourth to give Stanford a 2-0 lead.

After the Cardinal scored two more runs in the top of the fifth, New Mexico State would take advantage of a Stanford pitching change. In the bottom of the fifth, with bases loaded, junior Tehani Kaaihue hit a two-run double to bring the score to 4-2. However, the Aggies would not score again, and an RBI from Rich in the top of the seventh capped off the Cardinal’s 5-2 victory.

Once again, Stanford would start off fast against San Diego State, tallying three runs in the top of the third. The Aztecs answered with a solo homerun in the bottom of the inning, but Stanford would expand the lead to 6-1 in the fifth inning, with sophomore Caitlyn Pura, freshman Leah White and Hansen all scoring for the Card. San Diego State would score two runs in the sixth, but Stanford again added a pair of late runs to seal the game at 8-3.

Junior pitcher Teagan Gerhart earned both wins for the Cardinal (13-3), striking out 12 batters and allowing just one run and three hits in her 11.2 innings on the mound.

Earlier in the weekend, Stanford also defeated Long Beach State, Long Island University-Brooklyn and No. 6 Oklahoma. The Cardinal has won seven straight games.

Next weekend, Stanford will hit the road again, traveling to Fullerton, Calif., for the DeMarini Invitational. The Cardinal will face Indiana, Northwestern, Florida International, East Carolina and Michigan State during the three-day tournament.

–Caroline Caselli

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.