Stanford activist Fadi Quran arrested, detained in West Bank

View a letter from the editor on this piece here.

Fadi Quran ‘10, a Palestinian Stanford graduate from the West Bank and U.S. citizen, was arrested today in Hebron, West Bank, for allegedly pushing an Israeli soldier, according to tweets from journalists and activists in Palestine.

A Facebook video of altercations between Israeli security and Palestinian protesters shows a visibly and audibly upset Quran gesticulating and speaking to Israeli soldiers, before being grabbed by multiple soldiers and pushed toward a police van. The video shows an officer spraying pepper spray onto Quran’s face during the encounter and Quran’s abdomen and head hitting the rear bumper of the van, as soldiers attempted to put him inside of it.

Quran is then briefly shown lying in the street behind the van as journalists and soldiers stand around him. The videographer then retreats from the scene with his camera, as his footage shows soldiers shooing the press away.

The last footage of Quran shows him still lying in the street.

According to The Atlantic, Quran could in theory spend months detained without having charges filed against him.

Quran, who graduated from Stanford in 2010 with a double major in international relations and physics, returned home to the West Bank to work in the alternative energy field and advocated nonviolent resistance to the Israeli occupation of the West Bank, according to The Atlantic piece.

Quran also became part of a loosely associated group of activists – he identified the group as a collection of “bubbles” waiting to congeal, according to a March 2010 Time Magazine feature on him.

Time Magazine called Quran “the face of the new Middle East,” describing his allegiance to broader movements organized around social-networking sites, rather than to the two largest Palestinian factions, Hamas and Fatah.

Quran was an active participant in campus dialogue and action surrounding the Israel-Palestine conflict during his undergraduate career.

He was an organizer for the Campaign Restore Hope (CRH), a coalition of students who worked to raise awareness about perceived human rights violations in Israel and Palestine and encourage divestment from four specific companies: Elbit Systems Ltd., Hadiklaim Ltd., Tarifi Cement Ltd. and Dar Alnashr Lilhaya’a Masria Iilijaz AlIlmi.

With CRH, Quran distributed petitions across campus to encourage the ASSU Undergraduate Senate to pass legislation urging the University to divest from the four companies.

CRH eventually dropped its campaignfor student legislation, with Quran saying in an interview with The Daily, “Going through the Senate led to too much emotional backlash, so we changed direction.”

Quran encouraged collaborative efforts and person-to-person dialogue to address issues of injustice, which he expressed in an op-ed to The Daily.

“One of the things I learned at Stanford, an intrinsic American value, is that we should never turn our backs to an issue because it’s too complex, difficult or divisive,” he wrote.

Members of Stanford Students for Palestinian Equal Rights (SPER) posted Quran’s response to a 2010 Israeli raid on a flotilla, in which nine activists were killed, on Facebook throughout Friday.

“Today is a reminder of the challenges that we all face in standing up for justice,” Quran said. “Yet we will not waver in this struggle for freedom. The upcoming years are full of promise. And I have no despair about the future.”

Kristian Davis Bailey signed a SPER petition this year calling for Stanford divestment from eight companies operating in Israeli settlements.

About Kristian Davis Bailey

Kristian Davis Bailey is a junior studying Comparative Studies in Race & Ethnicity. A full time journalist/writer and occasional student, he's served as an Opinion section editor, News writer and desk editor for The Daily, is a community liaison for Stanford STATIC, the campus' progressive blog and journal, and maintains his own website, 'With a K.' He's interested in how the press perpetuates systems of oppression and seeks to use journalism as a tool for dismantling such systems.
  • Amer_I_Can

Headline should read  “Fadi Quran pepper sprayed, beaten, then arrested indefinitely while protesting for the basic human right of freedom of movement.”

There is also no mention that this protest in Hebron was organized by youh against illegal settlements–a policy of the Israeli government for decades and one that the United States turns a blind eye to.

The true face of the Israeli occupation becomes clearer every day.
    It hurts to see one of my fellow class mates and a fantastic human being treated like this by young kids with guns.

• Guest

“According to The Atlantic”???  This is a baseless comment.  

Probably a set-up as a is typical of this style of videos by Palestinian activists.  We’ve seen it all before.  The Daily should stick to real news.

• Knguyen

Push a soldier?  If he were living in country run by his fellow Arabs, he’d have been shot on the spot.  Of course, Jews are held to a different standard.

• Guest

It doesn’t matter if you got your degree from Stanford, if you are an American citizen, if you are nonviolently protesting for justice and peace… none of it matters if you are Palestinian. Just by being Palestinian, you are fair game for illegal detentions, sniper attacks, checkpoints on all roads, house demolitions, curfews, seizure of land, and yes torture. Collective torture that intends to grind away at the spirit of an entire people. People like Fadi show us that despite all this – this collective spirit can’t be defeated. Stanford should be proud to have graduates who stand up for their rights and are willing to risk their personal well being for justice and peace. The community should do all it can to make sure Fadi gets medical care and is safely out of detention. Lets end this brutal occupation!

• Fadl Saadi

@91fd81265408685c963e5c013945e522:disqus have you seen the video? There was NO pushing whatsoever.

Fadi Quran has been a very outspoken and important person at Stanford University and has always believed and pursued non violence and dialogue. If you don’t trust me ask around, not even on ‘the palestinian’ side. Ask people who were at SIA a couple of years ago or who were part of the JSA or Hillel. Whether or not you agree with his policies, the fact remains that the man has devoted his life to the pursuit of non violence. 

• Guest2

there’s nothing official that says that that was Fadi. I knew Fadi and I’ve interacted with him many times. The poor guy depicted does look a lot like Fadi, but he has much less hair than Fadi has in pictures as recent as 6 months ago…and one source from the Atlantic doesn’t validate that claim. I personally hope it’s not him in that video, though I feel bad for whomever it was, but this article was written very prematurely and doesn’t include sufficient evidence. 

• Guest

lovin the link to The Guardian as an objective source on the Mavi Marmara Flotilla… nice job once again, Stanford Daily! What a joke…

• Fadl Saadi

@c09038c31753f01c748bcb108c3db11d:disqus  It was Fadi. Fadi’s been losing a lot of hair recently (why you often see him with some sort of hat) but that is unmistakably Fadi. In terms of evidence has it occurred to you that they might also have some reliable sources that verified these claims? I personally know of several sources (including his lawyer) that  can verify that Fadi Quran is indeed currently imprisoned in Ofer and awaiting trial for allegedly pushing an Israeli soldier. 

• Pamela Olson pamolson.org

I’m a Stanford grad from 2002, and I was lucky enough to meet Fadi last time I was in Palestine. (I lived in Palestine for two and a half years between 2003 and 2009 and went back for a short visit in 2011.) He is a courageous activist for peace and justice, and the childish and baseless denials and misdirections of his opponents on this forum only show their weakness and Fadi’s strength. He has video evidence, for God’s sake, and they’re still closing their eyes and pretending the whole thing will go away. Well, it won’t go away. The human drive for freedom and equal rights will never go away. Wake up and join us.

• AAE

There is no need to say “visibly and audibly upset”. The writer might as well also right that the Israeli soldiers were “observed to be using excessive force on an unarmed nonviolent protesters.” This is supposee to be a news story not a trial. Also the designation “Palestinian-American” should communicate the same thing as “Palestinian and a U.S. Citizen.” Where are the editors?

• Anon

If non-violence is your creed, why shove a law-enforcement official to make your point? Is it anything in the name exhibitionism? Or is it just non-violent in comparison to the suicide bombings such altercations have so often involved? And because of that, is it really all that surprising you were arrested in the process?

• Badawi

I like it how supporters of the illegal Israeli occupation of Palestine usually compare Israeli army actions to those used by armies defending fascist leaders in the region, that’s a true representation of where Israel lies today, amongst fascists, good job!

• Dd

Why is the news editor of the Stanford Daily the opinions editor as well? It’s a shameful conflict of interest.

• Guest

Free Palestine!  Free Fadi!

• Knguyen

I’m contrasting, not comparing. 

• Guest2

Which do you think is more likely:

Fadi is a big advocate of non-violent protest, but he still shoved a cop without being provoked.

Fadi is a big advocate of non-violent protest, and he shoved a cop when he was provoked.

Put your thinking cap on for this one.

• Anonymous

After all of this, why won’t Stanford demand a total boycott against Israel?

The ASSU should call an emergency vote now. Demand immediate freedom for Fadi and immediate boycott against all Israeli products.

Now.

• JL

Also the designation “Palestinian-American” should communicate the same thing as “Palestinian and a U.S. Citizen.” 

…it does.

• D.

Are we really turning this into an English lesson? Because if so: “Compare: to examine the character or qualities of especially in order to discover resemblances or differences; to view in relation to.”

• Knguyen

Well, I’m “discovering the differences”.  And where is the campus protests against the “fascist leaders in the region” that the author refers to?  Israel should not be held to a higher standard because it is not muslim.

• R M Yuan

Why is Kristin Baily writing these articles while “liking” the facebook group “Free Fadi Quran”???????Does the Daily check the for obvious conflicts of interests and biases in the news journalists?

• Anon

Right, because, like, that would make him the first hypocrite ever.

• Anon

Demagogic much?
    I’m trying hard to remember the impassioned calls to boycott the entire City of Oakland in response to the arrests of protesters there last month.

• Chris

You guys do know that Kristin Bailey has signed the petition for divestment and supports the facebook group Free Fadi Quran, right?  Why is she covering this story?

• Jeremy

For detaining someone accused of pushing a soldier, and then being given speedy trial, you want to divest from a country.  My feelings are that your hate for Israel existed before this overblown incident.  

• Margaret Rawson

Thanks for your question, Dd.

There are two managing editors of news – you can contact them at news@stanforddaily.com

There is one managing editor of opinions – you can contact her at opinions@stanforddaily.com.

Kristian currently serves as a desk editor for news. He was a columnist and Opinions Editor during Vol. 239 of The Daily, from Jan. to June 2011. His time in the news and opinions sections did not overlap. As a columnist, he never commented on this topic.

If you have any further concerns, please feel free to contact me at eic@stanforddaily.com.

• Amer_I_Can

You guys both missed the point. Fadi never shoved anyone. The Israeli army made up charges in order to justify their abuse.

If you don’t believe me, you can watch the video of his arrest here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUeJEUX5Vtc and try to find any point where Fadi actually shoves anyone. In fact, it is Fadi who is pepper sprayed, shoved, tackled, slammed against the back of a military vehicle, and left on the ground asking for an ambulance because he can’t breathe.

Fadi has devoted his life to non violence, that’s why the Israeli propaganda machine is trying to say he shoved someone. They are scared of the growing non-violent resistance movement to apartheid policies and are trying to paint outstanding people like Fadi as hypocrites. It seems to work on some of you.

• http://www.rwordplay.com rwordplay

I think the word “activist” is too ambiguous to provide us the context to make any informed decision. “Yet we will not waver in this struggle for freedom.” Me? I have very little confidence in people who use words as abstract as “freedom.” Free, to do what? To Whom? On what occasion? Finally, I have no faith in Video, particularly if it is not accompanied by sound, and doesn’t show activity that led to Quran’s arrest. Video images are too easily manipulated and more often than not are used not to reveal the truth but obscure it.

• Bernard Young

None of you guys have lived under Israeli Occupation.  If you live there ONE day and see what the Israelis army has been doing to the Palestinians on their own land and for 63 years, you would think the Riot Police in Oakland who confront the Occupy protesters are Angels!

Go to the West Bank and see for yourself … then comment the truth here.  Otherwise people like Knguyen are just regurgitating Israeli fed media
    lies that are the farthest from the Truth.

The bottom line is, since 1948 when Israel 
    was founded almost 64 years ago on Palestinian
    land displacing almost a Million Palestinians; since then
    systematically displacing more and more Palestinians, demolishing 
    Palestinian homes, displacing more and building “Jewish Only” 
    Settlements (which are deemed illegal by the rest of the world)
    on the Israeli destroyed Property of Palestinans.
    And all this is Possible every day because it is funded
    by your Tax dollars to the Tune of  $3+ Billion a year.  
    Its called ethnic cleansing at Best.  Your Tax Dollars at work.

Denying this is denying modern history.

• Anonymous

Who do you think is more violent?……Palestinians, or Israelis?

• Anon

Yeah, um, it’s this new thing called “camera angle”. The fact that you can’t see Fadi’s hand exactly when he “gesticulates” into the other guy’s “face”, doesn’t actually prove anything in Fadi’s favor. But differences aside, I think we can both agree that waving your hands wildly in the vicinity of a law enforcement officer isn’t exactly the way you stay _out_ of jail. And that, my friend, is how to form political consensus.

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Benedict-Witherspoon/100001421678622 Benedict Witherspoon

I think Palestinian violence is often locally organized – it has the backing of grassroots organizations like Hamas or the PLO.  Israeli violence has behind it the backing of the world’s largest, richest, and most militarily advanced countries.  Members of both groups have thrown punches at the other – but Palestinian punches came with bare knuckles, and, comparatively speaking, Israeli punches with … well whatever the punching equivalent of missiles is.

Kind of see your point … but if someone “likes” human rights and the rule of law, does that mean they should be disqualified from writing stories about human rights and legal issues?  I would say no.

• Mikeadam26

….Palestinians fire more rockets into Israeli territory than the other way around. The biggest difference would be that Israel warns 24 hours in advance of the areas they are planning to attack, Palestine just volleys rockets over at will. Hamas and the PLO get military support from several countries governments, Israel only has support from the United States and even that is wavering right now. I’m pretty impartial to the Israeli-Palestinian debate, but the way your trying to explain is grossly incorrect.

• lp

Yes, you are clearly impartial. The false equation of the violence of the occupier and occupied has been the staple of such ‘impartial’ imperialist discourse for centuries. 
     ‘Conscientious Israelis acknowledge that the Hamas rockets rationale is fraudulent. For instance, Jerusalem Post writer Larry Derfner has noted:

“We don’t want to see how people in Gaza are living, we block it out
    of our minds…

“The Kassam [rockets] have terrorized the 25,000 people
    in Sderot and its environs, but have caused very, very few deaths or
    serious wounds. By contrast, Israel has terrorized 1.5 million Gazans,
    locked them inside their awfully narrow borders, throttled their
    economy, and killed and seriously wounded thousands of them… [If you want numbers: non-profit organizations like TIP place the maximum of Israeli deaths due to Palestinian rockets at 23. Compare this number to Israeli human rights organization B'Tselem's calculation of 6439 Palestinian civilians killed by Israeli collective punishment since 2005.]

“This is crazy. Israel is the superpower of the Middle East”‘. 

• Amer_I_Can

Haha, you’re a funny dude. Yes, of course, how could I forget that  it must be the “camera angle”, even though its 100% clear that Fadi’s hand never touches anyone…

Also, I don’t think we both agree here, especially not with your terminology. “Law enforcement officer”??? Are you kidding me? This is an occupation army with no legal jurisdiction at all on this territory. In fact, the soldiers are committing a crime by even being in this part of Hebron. It’s the equivalent of a Mexican or Canadian soldier (not policeman, even though that would also be insane and illegal) arresting you at Stanford University.

• Mark Richey

Isreal coordinates Internet propaganda and teaches people to try and change the subject when indenfensible Israeli brutality gets covered in the media.  

You’re a good soldier, Dol.

• Mark Richey

Why cant an Israeli cover the story, as they do about 98% of the time in the US media? 

Whine, sniffle, sob…I wanna have my media back!  WAAAAA..

• Mark Richey

The Israelis train their people to change the subject, to avoid havin to try to defend indefensible Israeli brutality

• Mark Richey

Anything to change the subject.  Good boy,  Netanyahu is proud of you.

• Mark Richey

Consider joining us at USQuagmire@yahoogroups.com

• Mark Richey

Pathetic attempt to change the subject

• Mark Richey

Since you can’t spell,you’re disqualified from complaining about editing

• Mark Richey

The follm,wing thread  brought t you by the Israeli internet team, trying to change the subject from Israeli brutality

• Anon

Nice try. The legal document governing Israel’s presence (in
    territories not been under permanent-legal sovereignty since the Ottoman Empire)
    is the Oslo Accords, which unambiguously give Hebron’s H2 district to full
    (albeit temporary) Israeli sovereignty, pending fulfillment of Arab obligations
    under the same accords (which surprise surprise, we’re still waiting for).
    Don’t like it? Too bad: the Arabs’ accredited representatives signed it. In
    fact, it was the billions of American and EU dollars contingent on those
    agreements, that when not placed by Arafat in his Swiss bank accounts, helped
    pay for infrastructure and education that _enabled_Fadi_to_attend_Stanford_in_the_first_place_.
    But of course you don’t care. The Jewish state arrested somebody and speedily scheduled
    a court date: quick, start spastically screaming about divestment.

• Danjacobs

Israel compared to Palestine:
    Israel: Supreme Court for appeals,  PA none
    Israel: gay rights    PA none
    Israel: voting and civil rights for Muslim citizens PA: no rights for Jewish residents
    Israel :  free press   PA not
    Israel:  expression rights for antigovernment MK’s, PA none
    Israel: numerous attempts to end conflict: most recently 2000, 2006 met by PA with no counter-offer.
    Israel: outlawed, banned terror groups; PA: embraced them into government

If you are a Stanford liberal, support Israel!!!!

• Mark Richey

Why didn’t Bil Clinton think of that? ‘Camera angle’, yes indeed. 

• Amer_I_Can

Yes, it’s all the wonderful infrastructure created by the occupation forces and the puppet PA that enabled Fadi to attend Stanford… not the fact that he grew up in the United States and is an American citizen… 

Oh, and how could I forget that the Oslo accords give Israel the right to to restrict basic human rights, like the freedom of movement, for over 18 years on a street closed based on security grounds after an Israeli colonist killed 29 Palestinians praying in a Mosque. 

Oh, and how could I forget that Israel had 24-hours to withdraw from the entire West Bank and Gaza under UN resolution 242, well before the Oslo accords ever existed, but I’m sure you can cite all the legal documents that allow for settlement of the West Bank by hundreds of thousands of religious fanatics.  Or wait… can you?
    Anyway, silly me!
    The moral repugnance of colonialism and occupation is evident to all.

• Foo

I think the article was actually pretty unbiased. Why don’t you address the biases rather than pointing fingers.

• Foobar

Do you really want to live in a world where waving your hand in a police officer’s face is grounds for a beating and detainment without trial? You sit from your podium in this beautiful country which still has the right of law and yet when others protest (non-violently) even the slightest “gesticulation” is grounds for beating and arresting someone?  It is absolutely clear that they could have detained him without the use of force, pepper spray or slamming his head against a car. They could have walked up to him and handcuffed him — EASILY. 

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger