Stanford activist Fadi Quran arrested, detained in West Bank

View a letter from the editor on this piece here.

Fadi Quran ‘10, a Palestinian Stanford graduate from the West Bank and U.S. citizen, was arrested today in Hebron, West Bank, for allegedly pushing an Israeli soldier, according to tweets from journalists and activists in Palestine.

A Facebook video of altercations between Israeli security and Palestinian protesters shows a visibly and audibly upset Quran gesticulating and speaking to Israeli soldiers, before being grabbed by multiple soldiers and pushed toward a police van. The video shows an officer spraying pepper spray onto Quran’s face during the encounter and Quran’s abdomen and head hitting the rear bumper of the van, as soldiers attempted to put him inside of it.

Quran is then briefly shown lying in the street behind the van as journalists and soldiers stand around him. The videographer then retreats from the scene with his camera, as his footage shows soldiers shooing the press away.

The last footage of Quran shows him still lying in the street.

According to The Atlantic, Quran could in theory spend months detained without having charges filed against him.

Quran, who graduated from Stanford in 2010 with a double major in international relations and physics, returned home to the West Bank to work in the alternative energy field and advocated nonviolent resistance to the Israeli occupation of the West Bank, according to The Atlantic piece.

Quran also became part of a loosely associated group of activists – he identified the group as a collection of “bubbles” waiting to congeal, according to a March 2010 Time Magazine feature on him.

Time Magazine called Quran “the face of the new Middle East,” describing his allegiance to broader movements organized around social-networking sites, rather than to the two largest Palestinian factions, Hamas and Fatah.

Quran was an active participant in campus dialogue and action surrounding the Israel-Palestine conflict during his undergraduate career.

He was an organizer for the Campaign Restore Hope (CRH), a coalition of students who worked to raise awareness about perceived human rights violations in Israel and Palestine and encourage divestment from four specific companies: Elbit Systems Ltd., Hadiklaim Ltd., Tarifi Cement Ltd. and Dar Alnashr Lilhaya’a Masria Iilijaz AlIlmi.

With CRH, Quran distributed petitions across campus to encourage the ASSU Undergraduate Senate to pass legislation urging the University to divest from the four companies.

CRH eventually dropped its campaignfor student legislation, with Quran saying in an interview with The Daily, “Going through the Senate led to too much emotional backlash, so we changed direction.”

Quran encouraged collaborative efforts and person-to-person dialogue to address issues of injustice, which he expressed in an oped to The Daily.

“One of the things I learned at Stanford, an intrinsic American value, is that we should never turn our backs to an issue because it’s too complex, difficult or divisive,” he wrote.

Members of Stanford Students for Palestinian Equal Rights (SPER) posted Quran’s response to a 2010 Israeli raid on a flotilla, in which nine activists were killed, on Facebook throughout Friday.

“Today is a reminder of the challenges that we all face in standing up for justice,” Quran said. “Yet we will not waver in this struggle for freedom. The upcoming years are full of promise. And I have no despair about the future.”

Kristian Davis Bailey signed a SPER petition this year calling for Stanford divestment from eight companies operating in Israeli settlements.

About Kristian Davis Bailey

Kristian Davis Bailey is a junior studying Comparative Studies in Race & Ethnicity. A full time journalist/writer and occasional student, he's served as an Opinion section editor, News writer and desk editor for The Daily, is a community liaison for Stanford STATIC, the campus' progressive blog and journal, and maintains his own website, 'With a K.' He's interested in how the press perpetuates systems of oppression and seeks to use journalism as a tool for dismantling such systems.
  • lollipop

a “set-up”???? 
    you are a piece of shit. I don’t even want to respond.

• Anon

Narrow print. If I’d known Fadi grew up in the US, my argument about him shoving an Israeli soldier would have been more biting.

• Anon

“Gesticulating” was Kristian’s word, not mine. Mine was that he shoved a law enforcement officer in a situation elsewhere known for culminating in suicide bombings.

• RMYuan

By definition the article is biased because it’s writer is openly biased.  She is an open supporter of controversial causes central to this issue. She has no business writing non op-ed pieces on this matter.  

• AAE

Actually, I have no problem with spelling. I had a great deal of trouble using the commenting tool with my smart  phone. Moreover, I think I make some good points in my comments , so if you want to address those feel free to do so.

• AAE

I have a feeling you don’t like what I said, but haven’t got the intellect to rebut my comments. 

• AAE

In reply to your apparent inability to grasp simple arguments, what I’m trying to say is that there was a better way of saying what the writer said. There are ways of saying things, and then there are ways of saying things. When the reporter writes, “Fadi Quran ‘10, a Palestinian Stanford graduate from the West Bank and U.S. citizen…” she is not only being redundant, but she is misplacing her emphasis. If you can’t see that, then you ought to revisit your knowledge of the English language. I might add that the Stanford Daily is also a newspaper of rather low quality, so I’m not too surprised to read crap in it.   

• As a journalist you should know that video by its nature is highly compromised when presented as evidence. At worse it serves as agitprop, where scenes are staged or a group is provoked. At best, it tells one side of the story, from a framed and considered angle.

• Mark Richey

You rely on spell check to look literate

• really?

my man…you must be reading the wrong stuff. The American media is incredibly unfriendly to Israel. Arguing that point is just mainly ignorant. Of the NYTimes’ last 20 pieces about Israel, 19 have been caustic and accusatory. And that’s just the NYT. 

• Mr. Wordplay, your handle is quite apt. Watch both videos here and then tell me the charges against Fadi make any sense whatsoever:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/02/israel-meets-the-arab-spring-contd/253624

It’s sad when one would rather believe ideology than his own eyes.

• Dan

You are showing your colors with the response, which eliminates most contributions you might otherwise make to a partly intelligent discussion.  Yes, there are countless documented examples of what has been called “Pallywood.”  Don’t like it, look at the dozens of examples seriously and prove they are wrong.  I’ve seen them, and they are convincing– and makes me wonder what will happen the next time Palestinians cry wolf– its not that we Zionists are unsympathetic– we are the most liberal in the world– its that we don’t believe truly 90 % of what is said publicly by Palestinian leaders.  Yet, we try to help them anyway. 

• Dan

Sometimes video helps.  Video of the Mavi Marmara proves the Turks provoked a fight by ambushing and beating Israeli soldiers bloody.  Video of Mohammed Al Dura proves that Israel could not have shot the boy.  Unfortunately,  the videos are ignored unless they help the “cause”

• Dan

Free Israel from terrorism and war!  Free the Palestinians from kleptocratic and Islamic rulers who are ruining the world with their irrendentism, their chauvinism, and their anti-Semitism, which continues to drive the conflict.  Free their children from Hitlerite youth camps that incite them to worship big terrorists and to emulate them.

• Ms. Olson. Eyes are unreliable. We see what we want to see. Me? I couldn’t make sense of what I saw. Too little information. Each person fills in the blanks to suit their own purposes. What more, no one seems to acknowledge what I referred to earlier, that video is an imperfect, and often false witness.