Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 53 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 54 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 56 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 58 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Eddie Plantaric in at fullback! Can't remember that happening in the recent past: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

W. Basketball: Card looks to keep Maples streak alive against Colorado

The Stanford women’s basketball team returns to campus tonight as Pac-12 champions and the nation’s No. 2 team, looking to extend the nation’s longest active home winning streak against Colorado.

Senior guard Lindy La Rocque (above) has not lost at home in her four years on the Farm. Stanford's last loss at Maples Pavilion came in 2007. (MEHMET INONU/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford has not lost in Maples Pavilion since 2007, a span of 76 games and nearly five years. Until last Saturday, Connecticut held both the longest active streak and the No. 2 spot, but a surprise 57-56 upset by St. John’s capped that record at 99 wins in a row and dropped the Huskies to No. 4.

Stanford (24-1, 15-0 Pac-12) also holds one of the nation’s longest overall winning streaks at 21 games, with only the early season loss to Connecticut spoiling a perfect year. In contrast, after a perfect start to the season, Colorado (16-9, 5-9) comes into this contest having lost its last two games and five of its last six.

The last time these two teams met, the Cardinal routed the Buffaloes 80-54 and went two games ahead in the all-time history between the two schools, making it 6-4. Judging by Stanford’s improvement throughout the season, and particularly in the last handful of games, it seems unlikely that Colorado will be able to cut into that lead on Thursday.

The Ogwumike sisters, senior forward Nnemkadi and sophomore forward Chiney, continue to lead the Cardinal with 20.6 and 16.6 points per game and 10.9 and 10.5 rebounds per game, respectively, in Pac-12 play. Recently, though, their teammates have been stepping up as well. In last weekend’s road trip to the Oregon schools, junior forward Joslyn Tinkle led the team in rebounds with 14 against Oregon State and in points against Oregon with 19. It seems the team is gelling at the perfect time of the season.

Nneka Ogwumike also has the chance to move into second place on Stanford’s all-time scoring list tonight. She currently has 2,215 points, just 12 behind second-place guard Kate Starbird.

Tonight’s game against Colorado is part of a three-game homestand that will continue on Saturday with Utah and finish with non-conference foe Seattle on Wednesday. With the Pac-12 regular-season title already decided, head coach Tara VanDerveer may already be planning ahead to the Pac-12 tournament in March and the NCAA tournament just a week later.

In the conference, guard Chucky Jeffery leads the Buffaloes in points with 13.4 and the whole Pac-12 in steals with 3.07. In January’s meeting with the Cardinal, even though she played the most minutes of any Colorado player, Jeffery was held by Stanford to just 1-for-10 shooting and a single steal.

Tonight’s game against Colorado tips off at 7 p.m. in Maples Pavilion.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger