Hogan and company will finally take the field with 7:59 left in the first quarter: 10 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
UC-Davis manages two consecutive first downs but runs out of steam at its own 40 thanks to a great pass breakup by @wlyons21: 12 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
UC-Davis able to move the chains on its second drive: 15 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Good to see freshman Christian McCaffrey contributing on special teams already.: 19 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Ty has scored as a returner, punt returner, end-around runner and wide receiver. The only thing left is for Shaw to put him at CB for pick-6: 19 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Well that escalated quickly. Montgomery with a 60-yard punt return for touchdown.: 23 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal defense forces a three-and-out. Stanford fans wondering if they could just put that drive on repeat for the rest of the season.: 24 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Kevin Anderson sets the tone early for the Cardinal defense with a nice tackle resulting in no gain: 26 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Williamson boots the ball away, and the 2014 Stanford football season has begun!: 28 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Regular season title hopes likely dashed against UCLA

Freshman guard Chasson Randle scored 16 points on the night, but Stanford committed 22 turnovers as a whole and fell short against UCLA 72-61 (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily).

On a Thursday night in Los Angeles, it only seemed fitting that the Stanford men’s basketball team decided to wear its black uniforms against UCLA, as the Cardinal likely saw its chances at a Pac-12 title vanish thanks to a 72-61 defeat at the hands of the Bruins.

The Bruins (14-10, 7-5 Pac-12) got out to a massive lead early and then held on for dear life, blowing open a 25-9 lead in the first 11 minutes of the game and then fending off every Cardinal parry for the rest of the game.

While the Cardinal (16-8, 6-6) did respond with a good rally to put itself back into the game by cutting the deficit to 56-53 with just 4:45 left in the game, it was never able to grab a lead and fully swing the momentum back its way.

Senior guard Lazeric Jones led the way for UCLA with 21 points, while Travis Wear added 13 and Jerime Anderson contributed 12. Altogether, the Bruins improved to 11-3 at home and notched their fourth victory in their last five games.

Freshman guard Chasson Randle was the brightest star on a dark night for the Cardinal, tallying 16 points. As a whole, Stanford committed 22 costly turnovers that led to 28 points for UCLA.

The Bruins turned in the eleven-point margin of victory due to some late fouling by the Cardinal, and with the loss, Stanford has now lost two games in a row and five of its last six after it was tied for first back in mid-January.

From here on out, the Cardinal’s chances at a regular season Pac-12 title are likely dashed, and its only chance at making the NCAA tournament can come through a victory in the season-ending Pac-12 tournament in Los Angeles.

The Cardinal will get a chance to earn a split on this weekend’s road trip, however, as it travels to USC to take on the Trojans later this weekend with a chance to snap a ghastly streak—Stanford has now lost its last 13 games in the city of Los Angeles, a streak that stretches back to the 2004-2005 season.

Stanford and USC tip off in Los Angeles at 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.

• Guest

Likely?  Oh, that’s so cute how your headline writers give the Men’s team a mercy jo.      Not likely at all.