79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Miscues and sloppy passing from Stanford cue another BYU run, and the lead is back to 9 at 68-59 with 6 minutes to go.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Football assistant Anderson named nation’s top recruiter

Less than a week after welcoming the best recruiting class in team history, the Stanford football program was honored for its efforts, as assistant coach Lance Anderson was named the National Recruiter of the Year by Scout/FOXSportsNext.

Anderson, who coaches outside linebackers, took on the role of recruiting coordinator after that position was vacated by Brian Polian in January. Despite Polian’s departure for Texas A&M, Stanford had anything but a drop-off, in large part thanks to Anderson.

Head coach David Shaw emphasized that Polian’s departure would not derail the team’s recruiting efforts, telling ESPN.com, “Losing Brian does hurt because he was a good recruiter, but he wasn’t recruiting everybody… Lance has the best relationship with our admissions people as far as making sure these kids are taking the classes and finishing strong and re-taking tests, etc.”

Since coming to Stanford from the Jim Harbaugh-coached University of San Diego in 2007, Anderson has been the team’s liaison to the admissions office and has held various recruiting positions in addition to his work on the defensive side of the ball.

Anderson’s work helped the Cardinal bring in the nation’s sixth-best recruiting class according to Scout.com, including five-star linemen Andrus Peat, Joshua Garnett and Kyle Murphy, five-star defensive lineman Aziz Shittu and several four-star recruits, including running back Barry J. Sanders and linebacker Noor Davis. Stanford was able to draw several high-profile recruits away from rivals like Cal and USC, helping the Cardinal notch the best class in the Pac-12.

–Jacob Jaffe

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.