RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tyler Gaffney's path: minor-league baseball->1,700-yard 2013->NFL Draft->season-ending injury->waiver wire pickup while hurt. All in 2 yrs.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @AdamSchefter: Patriots claimed former Panthers rookie RB Tyler Gaffney on waivers today after Carolina tried to sneak him through waive…: 24 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Softball: Stanford softball opens season as top-10 team

The Stanford softball team enters the 2012 season ranked No. 9 and No. 10 by the National Coaches Association and the ESPN.com/USA Softball Top 25 polls, respectively. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

Three weeks before the start of the season, the Stanford softball team earned the No. 9 ranking in the National Coaches Association preseason poll and the  No. 10 slot in the ESPN.com/USA Softball Top 25, it was announced on Tuesday.

Led by 2011 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year Ashley Hansen, the Cardinal has 11 letter-winners returning from last year’s squad that finished 42-17 and was one win away from a berth in the Women’s College World Series.

A trio of juniors who were NFCA First Team All-West Region and All-Pac-10 selections last season will look to push Stanford over the top in John Rittman’s 16th season as head coach.

It won’t be easy in a loaded Pac-12. Seven of the conference’s nine teams are in the top 15 in the rankings, headlined by defending national champion and near-unanimous No. 1 Arizona State. Rival California comes in at No. 3, with No. 8 Arizona, No. 11 Oregon, No. 13 UCLA and No. 14 Washington the other conference squads expected to contend with the Card.

Stanford will get plenty of opportunities to test itself against the country’s top competition, opening the season at the Kajikawa Classic on Feb. 10 and setting up a potential top-10 showdown with No. 5 Oklahoma at the Cathedral City Classic two weeks later on Feb. 24.

Miles Bennett-Smith

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.