Shaw: No-call on Owusu hit was "questionable": 19 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
In the span of 25 seconds, Stanford scores 13 points to win the game. Cardinal escape a tough one in the Rose Bowl, 22-13.: 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
It's Hail Mary time in Pasadena.: 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Ten seconds left, UCLA needs 25 yards for a field goal attempt.: 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford leads 16-13, UCLA has 24 seconds to break their eight game losing streak to the Cardinal.: 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Arcega-Whiteside had no catches before this game. Huge day is an understatement.: 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
First and goal Stanford with 29 seconds remaining. Let's see which team wants it more.: 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Another catch for Arcega-Whiteside, who is now Stanford's second leading reciver: 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Trenton Irwin has 20 more yards than the rest of Stanford combined.: 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford gets the stop. Cardinal have 2:05, no timeouts, need a touchdown.: 20 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Softball: Stanford softball opens season as top-10 team

The Stanford softball team enters the 2012 season ranked No. 9 and No. 10 by the National Coaches Association and the ESPN.com/USA Softball Top 25 polls, respectively. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

Three weeks before the start of the season, the Stanford softball team earned the No. 9 ranking in the National Coaches Association preseason poll and the  No. 10 slot in the ESPN.com/USA Softball Top 25, it was announced on Tuesday.

Led by 2011 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year Ashley Hansen, the Cardinal has 11 letter-winners returning from last year’s squad that finished 42-17 and was one win away from a berth in the Women’s College World Series.

A trio of juniors who were NFCA First Team All-West Region and All-Pac-10 selections last season will look to push Stanford over the top in John Rittman’s 16th season as head coach.

It won’t be easy in a loaded Pac-12. Seven of the conference’s nine teams are in the top 15 in the rankings, headlined by defending national champion and near-unanimous No. 1 Arizona State. Rival California comes in at No. 3, with No. 8 Arizona, No. 11 Oregon, No. 13 UCLA and No. 14 Washington the other conference squads expected to contend with the Card.

Stanford will get plenty of opportunities to test itself against the country’s top competition, opening the season at the Kajikawa Classic on Feb. 10 and setting up a potential top-10 showdown with No. 5 Oklahoma at the Cathedral City Classic two weeks later on Feb. 24.

Miles Bennett-Smith

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.