Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 24 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Offense stalls in loss to Washington

Another strong effort from senior forward Josh Owens was not enough for the Stanford men’s basketball team, as the squad fell to the Washington Huskies in convincing fashion.

The Huskies (12-7, 5-2 Pac-12) had a lot to play for Saturday night at the Alaska Airlines Arena, as their head coach, Lorenzo Romar, entered the game a win away from both his 300th career win and 100th career conference win. This added motivation would prove all that the Huskies needed. They got it done for their coach, swamping Stanford (15-5, 5-3 Pac-12) defensively en route to a 76-63 victory. The loss marked the end to a disappointing weekend for the Cardinal, which suffered a loss to Washington State on Thursday.

After a surprising 10-1 start, the Card has been unable to find its groove. With this loss, the team fell to fifth in the Pac-12. Stanford hasn’t had much luck on the road in conference play, dropping three of its four games. Stanford will need to right the ship this week in practice, with a matchup against first-place California looming.

Sophomore guard Aaron Bright tied for the team lead with 14 points, but the Stanford offense had trouble against the Washington defense in a 76-63 loss. (IAN GARCIA-DOTY/The Stanford Daily)

The Cardinal stuck with the Huskies for the beginning of the first half, but after sophomore forward Josh Huestis’ jumper cut the Washington lead to 13-11, Stanford went stone cold. The Card would only score one field goal for the next 10 minutes of play, going a miserable 1-for-17 from the floor until a nice dish from senior guard Jarrett Mann led to a three-point play for sophomore forward Dwight Powell. Despite the scoring drought, the Card faced just a seven-point halftime deficit.

Stanford could not stop Washington’s guard play in the second half, as sophomore Terrence Ross and freshman Tony Wroten combined for 26 points. For the game, Wroten led all scorers with 21 points, while Ross, who was most recently named Pac-12 Player of the Week, finished with 18.

After a Mann layup pulled the Cardinal to within five with 14:48 remaining, the Huskies went on an 18-2 run to lead 61-40. Stanford would not be able to overcome this deficit, as the team struggled to find an offensive rhythm.

Stanford was outrebounded for only the third time this year, as Washington burned the Cardinal with offensive rebounds and second-chance points. A very solid 16-to-nine turnover margin in the Cardinal’s favor was equalized by the teams’ shooting performances. Stanford shot a lowly 35.9 percent from the field and 15.8 percent from beyond the arc, while Washington shot 50.8 percent and 35.7 percent from three.

Owens was the only Stanford player to shoot above the 50-percent clip, going 7-for-13 from the floor for 14 points. Sophomore guard Aaron Bright added 14 points of his own on 5-of-13 shooting.

The win was more than just a milestone for Romar, as his team leapfrogged Stanford in the Pac-12 standings, improving to just a half game out of first place. With 10 conference games remaining, the Cardinal will have to make the most of its schedule if it intends to put forward a strong case for the NCAA Tournament in March.

Stanford will look to get the ball rolling again this Sunday when it travels to Berkeley. The Golden Bears currently sit in a tie for first in the Pac-12, just a game ahead of the Cardinal. A win next weekend would put Stanford to regain its footing in the Pac-12, while a loss would be a major blow for a struggling team.