RT @DavidMLombardi: Stanford opens as a 4-point favorite over USC: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: An incredible firework display after the game tonight. We move to 3-0 on the season. #NerdNation #HomeOpenerThursday h…: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: Final score: No. 5 @StanfordWSoccer 1, No. 14 Portland 0. Third straight road win over a ranked team!: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal fans have to be pretty happy with Stanford's performance today, even if it was against an FCS opponent.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower redeems himself by throwing a strike to Hooper for a 14-yard touchdown. Stanford 45, UC-Davis 0 with 8:22 left in the game: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
McCaffrey. Wow.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Both Hooper and Cotton have made nice catches in the middle of the field today. Could be a huge help to Hogan as season progresses.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Utes make their way to Maples

Tonight, the Stanford men’s basketball team hosts Utah in its first visit to Maples Pavilion as a Pac-12 contender. The Cardinal (13-3, 3-1 Pac-12), playing in its only home-stand in the month of January, has not faced the Utes (4-11, 1-2) since 1997.

Senior forward Josh Owens (above) and the Cardinal welcome Utah to town to tip off the Cardinal's only home stand in the month of January. (IAN GARCIA-DOTY/The Stanford Daily)

Both teams came away with splits last weekend, with the Utes beating Washington State in overtime, then losing to Washington, and the Cardinal falling to Oregon before picking up an exciting four-overtime win over Oregon State. However, head coach Johnny Dawkins hopes that the team and the home crowd don’t dwell on the thrilling victory.

“Everyone is still amazed about the game and wants to talk about the game and stay in that moment,” he said. “And we need to move on to our next moment, which is this weekend, and our opponents that we face coming up with Utah, so you know we want to move on.”

Utah, who was slated to finish last in the conference, has already exceeded expectations. The Utes’ offense centers on senior guard Josh Watkins, who led all players with 18 points in the victory over Washington State, and ranks fourth in the Pac-12 in scoring with an average of 15.6 points per game. He is equally dangerous when creating opportunities for his teammates, dishing the second-most assists per game in the conference, with an average of 4.93. Defensively, junior center Jason Washburn ranks fifth in the conference in rebounding, with 6.9 per game, while shooting 58.3 percent from the field, fourth-best in the conference.

“I think Utah’s a good team, they have potential,” Dawkins said. “I think they’ve been getting better all season, culminating with the games you saw this past weekend versus the Washington schools. They’re very competitive; they’re a physical team, and kind of resembling their coach . . . You can see the guys taking shape and buying into what they have to do to win.”

The Cardinal, which leads the conference in total rebounds, will look to use its advantage on the glass to nullify Washburn’s production. Stanford will also need to cut down on fouls and turnovers, and convert from a higher rate at the line. Realistically, the Utes might be one of the weakest conference opponents the Card will face this season, providing an excellent opportunity to correct early-season errors.

Stanford will tip off against Utah tonight at Maples Pavilion at 7 p.m.