Stanford study snacks

Dec. 7, 2011, 1:01 a.m.

Late-night snacking fuels students to continue working into the night, or perhaps greets them as a beacon of solace, a break from the tedious work that has consumed their day. While some opt to eat in the comfort of their own rooms (on cereal hoarded from the dining halls, pizza delivered to their dorms or even snack food purchased from any number of on- or off-campus convenience stores), others stay local and let Stanford Dining satisfy their hunger pangs.

Stanford’s late-night dining options include The Dish at Arrillaga Family Dining Commons, Latenite at Lagunita and The Axe and Palm at Old Union.

More than that though, students indulge in late night dining because it introduces excitement into the lives of overworked (and hungry) college students: It is an excuse to avoid homework, a place to catch up with friends, a last stop after a long night on the Row or a different place to study.

Visiting one of Stanford’s late-night dining facilities is like walking into a popular bar, except instead of beer, students are trying out a new flavor of milkshake or chicken tender. Each restaurant is always loud, hectic and filled with the most diverse group of students imaginable at all hours of the night: A couple with matching pink hair watches viral videos; a band member using his celebrity status to try to score a complimentary slice of pepperoni pizza; a stressed out freshman thinking his red cup with “water” is fooling everyone and a boy trying to turn a group project into a romantic first date.

Although students all over campus have access to these dining options, each has its unique location, clientele and signature food. The Axe and Palm, located next to Old Union, is a prime spot for a variety of burgers and sandwiches; if beef is not your style, you can try a salmon, lamb or garden burger.

“I am almost out of my dining dollars because of The Axe and Palm,” said Sierra Freeman ‘15. “I can’t get enough of their burgers and fries.”

The Dish at Arrillaga may not appeal as much burger lovers with its primarily Mexican and Italian themed menu, but it certainly has its fair share of attendees.

“It is such a different experience from regular dining at Arrillaga, but somehow you still feel like even the drinks are made by a gourmet chef,” said Keith Wyngarden ‘15.

Latenite at Lagunita does not lack fans, either.

“It is always quite an adventure,” said Chris Barnum ‘14. “I love the food, and it’s also a great place to meet new people and relax after a long night.”

Despite the campus-wide love of late-night dining, some students are hesitant to partake in late-night snacking, worried about the extra calories. However, Vivian Crisman, resident nutritionist at the Vaden Health Center, suggests that there is no need to stop snacking — so long as the portions are reasonably sized.

“Because students have dinner so early and are staying up so late, having some sort of snack [at night] is healthy,” she said.

Even so, Crisman does not suggest that it is a good idea to order the “Pac-12” (a barbeque-bacon burger) from The Axe and Palm every night.

“While it does depend on how late you are staying up, it is a snack,” she said. “It is not a fourth meal.”