Noyola, Derrick named Pac-12 Scholar-Athletes of Year

Men’s cross country star Chris Derrick and women’s soccer standout Teresa Noyola got some good news Wednesday when they were both named Pac-12 Scholar-Athletes of the Year in their respective sports.

Fresh off his runner-up finish at last week’s NCAA Championships, Derrick will end his collegiate career as just the sixth athlete in history to finish in the top-10 at the championship meet all four years, as well as being an 11-time All-American in cross country and track and field.

A native of Naperville, Ill., Derrick is an economics major and carries a 3.86 grade-point average.

Noyola is on track to graduate in the spring with a degree in math and computational science, and the Palo Alto native sports a 3.52 GPA. With eight goals and 14 assists this season, she has again helped lead the No. 1 Cardinal to its fourth-straight College Cup this weekend.

Along with being undefeated in her career at home, Noyola is a three-time First Team All-Pac-12 selection — both Derrick and Noyola are previous Pac-10 All-Academic team honorees.

Miles Bennett-Smith

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' to reach Do-Hyoung Park or to jwallach 'at' to reach Jordan Wallach, keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.