RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 24 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tyler Gaffney's path: minor-league baseball->1,700-yard 2013->NFL Draft->season-ending injury->waiver wire pickup while hurt. All in 2 yrs.: 24 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @AdamSchefter: Patriots claimed former Panthers rookie RB Tyler Gaffney on waivers today after Carolina tried to sneak him through waive…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Noyola, Derrick named Pac-12 Scholar-Athletes of Year

Men’s cross country star Chris Derrick and women’s soccer standout Teresa Noyola got some good news Wednesday when they were both named Pac-12 Scholar-Athletes of the Year in their respective sports.

Fresh off his runner-up finish at last week’s NCAA Championships, Derrick will end his collegiate career as just the sixth athlete in history to finish in the top-10 at the championship meet all four years, as well as being an 11-time All-American in cross country and track and field.

A native of Naperville, Ill., Derrick is an economics major and carries a 3.86 grade-point average.

Noyola is on track to graduate in the spring with a degree in math and computational science, and the Palo Alto native sports a 3.52 GPA. With eight goals and 14 assists this season, she has again helped lead the No. 1 Cardinal to its fourth-straight College Cup this weekend.

Along with being undefeated in her career at home, Noyola is a three-time First Team All-Pac-12 selection — both Derrick and Noyola are previous Pac-10 All-Academic team honorees.

-Miles Bennett-Smith

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.