RT @samfisher908: Huge props to @davidcohn4 whose call of the @TyMontgomery2 PR TD won him @NCAAFootball student-radio call of the week htt…: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: Stanford opens as a 4-point favorite over USC: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: An incredible firework display after the game tonight. We move to 3-0 on the season. #NerdNation #HomeOpenerThursday h…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: Final score: No. 5 @StanfordWSoccer 1, No. 14 Portland 0. Third straight road win over a ranked team!: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal fans have to be pretty happy with Stanford's performance today, even if it was against an FCS opponent.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower redeems himself by throwing a strike to Hooper for a 14-yard touchdown. Stanford 45, UC-Davis 0 with 8:22 left in the game: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Noyola, Derrick named Pac-12 Scholar-Athletes of Year

Men’s cross country star Chris Derrick and women’s soccer standout Teresa Noyola got some good news Wednesday when they were both named Pac-12 Scholar-Athletes of the Year in their respective sports.

Fresh off his runner-up finish at last week’s NCAA Championships, Derrick will end his collegiate career as just the sixth athlete in history to finish in the top-10 at the championship meet all four years, as well as being an 11-time All-American in cross country and track and field.

A native of Naperville, Ill., Derrick is an economics major and carries a 3.86 grade-point average.

Noyola is on track to graduate in the spring with a degree in math and computational science, and the Palo Alto native sports a 3.52 GPA. With eight goals and 14 assists this season, she has again helped lead the No. 1 Cardinal to its fourth-straight College Cup this weekend.

Along with being undefeated in her career at home, Noyola is a three-time First Team All-Pac-12 selection — both Derrick and Noyola are previous Pac-10 All-Academic team honorees.

-Miles Bennett-Smith

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.