Shaw says front seven making up for lack of size with plenty of speed and quickness. Specific praise for Alfieri and Scarlett.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw: "Everybody in our conference can beat everybody in our conference. It's the Wild West every single week.": 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
On Hogan: "if he gets that ankle healthy, he once again becomes a dual threat in the pocket." Makes the bye week more important.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: Shaw: "We need this bye." Doesn't think a bye week will slow down the team's roll.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw individually praised McCaffrey, Sanders, Love and Wright. Clearly very pleased with his backfield.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw on Hogan: "He's playing the best football of his career.": 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Well that's just about it folks. Stanford improves to 4-1, 3-0 in Pac-12. Your final score from Stanford Stadium: Stanford 55 - Arizona 17.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Chryst has Risen. The sophomore QB to Stallworth, the first TD for both of them. Stanford breaks into the 50s, 4:03 to play.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Whalen named finalist for walk-on award

(LUIS AGUILAR/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford wide receiver Griff Whalen has been named one of three finalists for the Burlsworth Trophy, an award given to the nation’s best player who began his career as a walk-on.

The senior from Sylvania, Ohio more than doubled his career receptions this season, leading the Cardinal with 49 after entering his final campaign with just 24. His 664 yards are also a team-best despite recording no more than 31 yards in the team’s first four games.

Whalen came to Stanford as a defensive back but was quickly converted to wide receiver. He became an integral part of the receiving rotation, where he provided relief in the slot. At just 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds, Whalen has relied on excellent route-running to gain separation from defenders and has flourished in underneath routes.

This season, he has emerged as Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck’s go-to receiver. Whalen has notched two 100-yard games and was one of the squad’s few bright spots in the Nov. 12 loss to Oregon, a contest in which he racked up 107 yards and two touchdowns on nine receptions.

Whalen joins Houston wide receiver Patrick Edwards and Southern Mississippi quarterback Austin Davis in the final selection for the Burlsworth Trophy. The online fan-voting component of the award, which accounts for five percent, concludes on Dec. 7.

–Zach Zimmerman

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' to reach Do-Hyoung Park or to jwallach 'at' to reach Jordan Wallach, keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.
  • chris burford

Very deserving choice!

• chris burford

Very deserving choice!

• chris burford

Very deserving choice!