Shaw on the Burns fumbled snap: "It was a poor center-quarterback exchange. It was supposed to be a pass and I saw two guys open.": 22 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We practiced outstanding the last two weeks...It's my job to figure out how to translate that to the game.": 22 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "I don't know if there's a better football player on defense in the country than Solomon Thomas.": 22 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're not playing at the level we need at the quarterback.": 22 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "Offensively, there's a lot of questions we have to answer as a staff...that's on me.": 22 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "The defense was outstanding...Coach Lance Anderson did a fantastic job.": 22 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
This is the first time Stanford failed to score a touchdown since the game-that-must-not-named (i.e. 2015 Northwestern): 22 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Burns hits Irwin who laterals it to McCaffrey who drops the ball before Love falls on it. Appropriate ending for a mess of a game.: 22 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford will have four seconds to make some magic happen. Unlikely but, hey, it's college football.: 22 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Football: Whalen named finalist for walk-on award

(LUIS AGUILAR/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford wide receiver Griff Whalen has been named one of three finalists for the Burlsworth Trophy, an award given to the nation’s best player who began his career as a walk-on.

The senior from Sylvania, Ohio more than doubled his career receptions this season, leading the Cardinal with 49 after entering his final campaign with just 24. His 664 yards are also a team-best despite recording no more than 31 yards in the team’s first four games.

Whalen came to Stanford as a defensive back but was quickly converted to wide receiver. He became an integral part of the receiving rotation, where he provided relief in the slot. At just 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds, Whalen has relied on excellent route-running to gain separation from defenders and has flourished in underneath routes.

This season, he has emerged as Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck’s go-to receiver. Whalen has notched two 100-yard games and was one of the squad’s few bright spots in the Nov. 12 loss to Oregon, a contest in which he racked up 107 yards and two touchdowns on nine receptions.

Whalen joins Houston wide receiver Patrick Edwards and Southern Mississippi quarterback Austin Davis in the final selection for the Burlsworth Trophy. The online fan-voting component of the award, which accounts for five percent, concludes on Dec. 7.

–Zach Zimmerman

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.
  • chris burford

Very deserving choice!

• chris burford

Very deserving choice!

• chris burford

Very deserving choice!