Cardinal fans have to be pretty happy with Stanford's performance today, even if it was against an FCS opponent.: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower redeems himself by throwing a strike to Hooper for a 14-yard touchdown. Stanford 45, UC-Davis 0 with 8:22 left in the game: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
McCaffrey. Wow.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Both Hooper and Cotton have made nice catches in the middle of the field today. Could be a huge help to Hogan as season progresses.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
That's the end of the third quarter. Stanford 38, UC-Davis 0. The Cardinal playing its third-stringers.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Noor Davis makes an acrobatic pick. Last three interceptions for Stanford have been made by linebackers.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford experimenting with creative ways to get the ball to McCaffrey. Halfback pass earlier, now an end-around.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RB Ricky Seale and WR Jordan Pratt seeing some action now: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Surprising miss by Williamson. He's usually money from less than 40.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Whalen named finalist for walk-on award

(LUIS AGUILAR/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford wide receiver Griff Whalen has been named one of three finalists for the Burlsworth Trophy, an award given to the nation’s best player who began his career as a walk-on.

The senior from Sylvania, Ohio more than doubled his career receptions this season, leading the Cardinal with 49 after entering his final campaign with just 24. His 664 yards are also a team-best despite recording no more than 31 yards in the team’s first four games.

Whalen came to Stanford as a defensive back but was quickly converted to wide receiver. He became an integral part of the receiving rotation, where he provided relief in the slot. At just 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds, Whalen has relied on excellent route-running to gain separation from defenders and has flourished in underneath routes.

This season, he has emerged as Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck’s go-to receiver. Whalen has notched two 100-yard games and was one of the squad’s few bright spots in the Nov. 12 loss to Oregon, a contest in which he racked up 107 yards and two touchdowns on nine receptions.

Whalen joins Houston wide receiver Patrick Edwards and Southern Mississippi quarterback Austin Davis in the final selection for the Burlsworth Trophy. The online fan-voting component of the award, which accounts for five percent, concludes on Dec. 7.

–Zach Zimmerman

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.
  • chris burford

Very deserving choice!

• chris burford

Very deserving choice!

• chris burford

Very deserving choice!