RT @CWCameronWalker: By far the hardest decision of my life, but I will spend the next chapter of my life at Stanford University under Coac…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Four-star forward Cameron Walker, the nation's No. 61 player, just tweeted that he has committed to #Stanford. Huge get…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Nnemkadi Ogwumike named Pac-12 Player of the Week

Coming off its first loss of the season, the No. 5 Stanford women’s basketball team received some recognition Monday when senior forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike was named Pac-12 Player of the Week.

Ogwumike, a former Pac-10 Player of the Year and the Cardinal’s best offensive weapon, scored 56 points in a pair of tough road contests last week. Against perennial favorite No. 2 Connecticut last Monday, Ogwumike struggled with foul trouble but still managed to lead the team with 22 points in Stanford’s 68-58 loss.

The Cardinal responded in a big way by winning at Xavier on Friday, and once again, it was Ogwumike leading the charge. The senior dominated the Musketeers, scoring 34 of the team’s 80 points and hauling in 13 rebounds to help Stanford bounce back.

For the year, Ogwumike leads the team with 25.8 points and 11.3 rebounds per game while shooting 60 percent from the field and 86 percent from the free-throw line. The two-time All-American was picked as a Preseason All-American as well, and along with her sister Chiney, forms one of the best low-post combinations in the country.

Stanford hosts UC-Davis on Wednesday at 7 p.m.

- Jacob Jaffe

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.