Derrick, Unterreiner named to Pac-12 All-Academic first team

With the cross country season finished just a week ago, the Stanford teams were well-represented on the Pac-12 All-Academic teams. Leading the way were senior Chris Derrick and redshirt junior Miles Unterreiner, who were two of the 10 runners selected for the men’s first team. Redshirt junior Benjamin Johnson was named to the second team, as were junior Kathy Kroeger and redshirt senior Madeline Duhon on the women’s side.

Derrick, Stanford’s top runner and this year’s NCAA runner-up, earns his second consecutive first-team selection thanks to his 3.86 grade-point average while majoring in economics. Unterreiner is also a repeat selection, having won an Elite 88 Award in the past due to his 4.04 GPA while majoring in history.

Johnson, who was injured this year and unable to compete at NCAAs, has a 3.59 GPA while majoring in chemical engineering. Kroeger, Stanford’s leading runner on the women’s side, finished 21st at NCAAs and has a GPA of 3.93 while majoring in mathematical and computational science. Duhon boasts a 3.90 GPA while majoring in management science and engineering.

In addition, the Cardinal had 10 men and 11 women chosen as honorable mentions. The Stanford men finished fifth and the women finished 10th at the NCAA Championships last week.

– Jacob Jaffe

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.