@treeSIDjorge Yet the Cardinal has won the conference five times over that stretch...: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Two-time defending champion Stanford second in Pac-12 preseason media poll ... poll began in 1961, Cardinal not once pick…: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @CWCameronWalker: By far the hardest decision of my life, but I will spend the next chapter of my life at Stanford University under Coac…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Four-star forward Cameron Walker, the nation's No. 61 player, just tweeted that he has committed to #Stanford. Huge get…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

BRIEF: Media unanimously picks Stanford women’s basketball to win Pac-12

(SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

First the coaches, and now the media, have chosen the No. 5 Stanford women’s basketball team to capture its 11th consecutive conference title in the inaugural Pac-12 season. In the Preseason Media Poll, released by the conference on Tuesday, the Cardinal received all 11 first-place votes for 131 total points.

Behind the Card, USC was the unanimous second-place choice with 121 points, followed by California (107 points), UCLA (96), Arizona State (79) and Utah (73). Oregon (59), Arizona (58), Washington State (45), Washington (38), Oregon (State) and Colorado (23) rounded out the media’s preseason rankings.

Additionally, the media chose a five-player Preseason All-Pac-12 team. Standout sisters Nnemkadi and Chiney Ogwumike were among the selections, along with Arizona’s Davellyn Whyte and USC’s Ashley Corral and Briana Gilbreath.

Stanford will kick off its season against No. 24 Texas this Friday in Austin at 5 p.m.

–Caroline Caselli

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.