RT @catzdong: Relevant: @Stanford_Daily op-ed by @CoryBooker published in 1992 shortly after the controversial Rodney King verdict http://t…: 9 hours ago, The Stanford Daily
Maya Krishnan '15 and Emily Witt '15 are 2015 Rhodes Scholars! That brings the @Stanford Rhodes count to 114.: 4 days ago, The Stanford Daily
RT @TSDArtsAndLife: John Barton talks to the @Stanford_Daily about Stanford's future "trans-disciplinary" Architectural Design program. htt…: 6 days ago, The Stanford Daily

CA Dream Act bill fails in GSC vote

ASSU and GSC student government representatives remain divided over an undergraduate senate bill expressing support for the California Dream Act. The bill failed to pass the Graduate Student Council (GSC) on Oct. 5 after coasting through the Undergraduate Senate unanimously.

The bill, rejected by a majority of the GSC over concerns about illegal immigrants’ employability, would have authorized ASSU President Michael Cruz ’12 to lobby for California Governor Jerry Brown’s passage of California Assembly Bill AB 131, otherwise known as the Dream Act.

The act, signed into law by Brown on Oct. 8, is part of a legislative package referred to as the California Dream Act, which authorizes illegal immigrant students who meet GPA requirements, graduate from a California high school and enter the U.S. before age 16 to apply for state-funded financial aid.

“It’s extremely important for undocumented students because it allows them more open access to educational opportunities,” said Jayashri Srikantiah, professor of law and director of Stanford’s Immigrants’ Rights Clinic. “It signals that there’s now statewide recognition that undocumented students should have equal access to opportunities, and that the state itself has recognized that need.”

After a national version of the bill was rejected late last year in Washington, D.C., California’s passage of the controversial measure is a vindication for proponents of access to higher education for undocumented youth.

“It’s going to be critical,” Srikantiah said. “It sends a signal that these students are welcome, part of our communities and ought to be attending California public universities as members of our state.”

“It was a difficult vote,” said Manish Choudhary, a second-year engineering graduate student and public relations and communications director for the GSC, where the bill was defeated 2-4. “But when you make a law, [illegal aliens] should not get an advantage.”

This advantage would be over international students, who do not have access to financial aid from public funds.

“I can’t really say much. I was upset,” said ASSU Senator and the bill’s co-author Brianna Pang ‘13. “But they voted, and they have every right to vote.”

“At Stanford, I feel like [the California Dream Act] is more of a symbolic thing,” she said. “With most Stanford students, they get private financial aid from Stanford anyway. But the passage can also set the tone for the overall national conversation about the national Dream Act.”

The majority of the GSC, however, cast aside symbolism to examine the Senate bill from a practical angle.

“People who are here illegally will have access to state funds, and people who are here legally will not have access to the funds–that doesn’t sound right,” Choudhary said. “And [students] will not be able to find jobs because they do not have the legal right to work.”

“I felt like a lot of opinions on undocumented immigrants were uninformed,” Pang said. “I feel like a lot of GSC members didn’t necessarily know that much about citizenship and the Dream Act itself.”

Srikantiah echoed the Undergraduate Senate’s vote.

“We have to take a step back here and revisit the…issue, which is that the reality of our immigration system is that there are tens of millions of undocumented people in this country, and many of those are children who, as a practical matter, are going to be spending their lives in [the U.S.],” she said.

“We have to think about how we treat members of our community and [whether] we want to be encouraging them to get higher education,” she continued. “I think the answer to that question has to be yes.”

About Edward Ngai

Edward Ngai is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily. Previously, he has worked as a news desk editor, staff development editor and columnist. He was president and editor-in-chief of The Daily for Vol. 244 (2013-2014). Edward is a junior from Vancouver, Canada studying political science. This summer, he is the Daniel Pearl Memorial Intern at the Wall Street Journal.
  • Anonymous

I come for visit, get treated regal,
    So I stay, who care I illegal?
    I cross border, poor and broke,
    Take bus, see employment folk.
    Nice man treat me good in there,
    Say I need to see welfare.
    Welfare say, “You come no more,
    We send cash right to your door.”
    Welfare checks, they make you
    wealthy,

Medicaid it keep you healthy!
    By and by, I got plenty money,
    Thanks to you, American dummy.
    Write to friends in motherland,
    Tell them come as fast as you can.
    They come in rags and Chebby
    trucks,

I buy big house with welfare bucks.
    They come here, we live together,
    More welfare checks, it gets better!
    Fourteen families they moving in,
    But neighbor’s patience wearing thin.
    Finally, white guy moves away,
    Now I buy his house, and then I say,
    “Find more aliens for house to rent.”

And in the yard I put a tent.
    Send for family (they just trash),
    But they, too, draw the welfare cash!
    Everything is mucho good,
    And soon we own the neighborhood.
    We have hobby–it’s called breeding,
    Welfare pay for baby feeding.
    Kids need dentist? Wife need pills?
    We get free! We got no bills!

American crazy! He pay all year,
    To keep welfare running here.
    We think America darn good place!
    Too darn good for the white man
    race.

If they no like us, they can go,
    Got lots of room in Mexico

• Guest

Note that the bill was up for debate in the ASSU on Oct 5, four days before it was signed into law.

• joyce garcia

Revisit this because you don’t think they understood, or because they didn’t agree? These student’s understood…they just have common sense. They realize it’s not fair to take from them (and it eventually will) to give to others who are not rightfully here.

The dream act is a nightmare. Enforce the law of the land PERIOD! It’s that simple. And No, I am not a racist because I don’t agree with your illogical nonsense!