79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Cardinal beats White in men’s basketball scrimmage

Following the Cardinal’s first Midday Madness—an afternoon that featured meet-and-greets with players and coaches, skills contests, player-led karaoke and a dunk competition—the Stanford men’s basketball team made its season debut in the annual intrasquad Cardinal-White Scrimmage.

Sophomore forward Josh Huestis won the dunk competition at the Stanford men's basketball team's Midday Madness, an event that also included the Cardinal-White scrimmage. (Stanford Daily File Photo)

Playing two 12-minute halves, the Cardinal squad bested the White squad, 35-25. Sophomore forward Dwight Powell registered the first points of the game on a dunk while fellow sophomore forward Stefan Nastic sank two free throws on the other end of the floor. The Cardinal squad controlled the remainder of the scrimmage, going into the half with a 17-10 advantage and leading by as much as 33-16 following a three-pointer from sophomore guard Robbie Lemons with just over four minutes remaining.

Nastic and sophomore forward Josh Huestis, the winner of the afternoon’s dunk competition, led the Cardinal team with six points apiece, while Nastic went 4-for-4 from the line and Huestis grabbed five rebounds. True freshman point guard Chasson Randle also picked up six points for the Cardinal in his Maples Pavilion debut, and junior guard Gabriel Harris dished three assists.

For the White squad, Powell and sophomore forward John Gage led with six points, and classmate Anthony Brown had three points and eight rebounds.

“It was a good chance for the players to play in a real game with refs and for the crowd to be able to watch us,” said redshirt freshman Andy Brown, who did not play in the scrimmage but suited up and is expected to return from multiple ACL injuries this season.

Stanford will play its first exhibition game on Nov. 5 against Ryerson at Maples Pavilion.

- Caroline Caselli

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.