Shaw on the Burns fumbled snap: "It was a poor center-quarterback exchange. It was supposed to be a pass and I saw two guys open.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We practiced outstanding the last two weeks...It's my job to figure out how to translate that to the game.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "I don't know if there's a better football player on defense in the country than Solomon Thomas.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're not playing at the level we need at the quarterback.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "Offensively, there's a lot of questions we have to answer as a staff...that's on me.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "The defense was outstanding...Coach Lance Anderson did a fantastic job.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
This is the first time Stanford failed to score a touchdown since the game-that-must-not-named (i.e. 2015 Northwestern): 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Burns hits Irwin who laterals it to McCaffrey who drops the ball before Love falls on it. Appropriate ending for a mess of a game.: 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Cardinal beats White in men’s basketball scrimmage

Following the Cardinal’s first Midday Madness—an afternoon that featured meet-and-greets with players and coaches, skills contests, player-led karaoke and a dunk competition—the Stanford men’s basketball team made its season debut in the annual intrasquad Cardinal-White Scrimmage.

Sophomore forward Josh Huestis won the dunk competition at the Stanford men's basketball team's Midday Madness, an event that also included the Cardinal-White scrimmage. (Stanford Daily File Photo)

Playing two 12-minute halves, the Cardinal squad bested the White squad, 35-25. Sophomore forward Dwight Powell registered the first points of the game on a dunk while fellow sophomore forward Stefan Nastic sank two free throws on the other end of the floor. The Cardinal squad controlled the remainder of the scrimmage, going into the half with a 17-10 advantage and leading by as much as 33-16 following a three-pointer from sophomore guard Robbie Lemons with just over four minutes remaining.

Nastic and sophomore forward Josh Huestis, the winner of the afternoon’s dunk competition, led the Cardinal team with six points apiece, while Nastic went 4-for-4 from the line and Huestis grabbed five rebounds. True freshman point guard Chasson Randle also picked up six points for the Cardinal in his Maples Pavilion debut, and junior guard Gabriel Harris dished three assists.

For the White squad, Powell and sophomore forward John Gage led with six points, and classmate Anthony Brown had three points and eight rebounds.

“It was a good chance for the players to play in a real game with refs and for the crowd to be able to watch us,” said redshirt freshman Andy Brown, who did not play in the scrimmage but suited up and is expected to return from multiple ACL injuries this season.

Stanford will play its first exhibition game on Nov. 5 against Ryerson at Maples Pavilion.

– Caroline Caselli

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.