Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Cardinal baseball team releases 2012 schedule

Junior righthander Mark Appel (above) and the Stanford baseball team face a tough schedule this season that includes nine teams that made it to last year's College World Series. (JESSICA POPPISH/The Stanford Daily)

The Stanford baseball team released its 2012 schedule on Wednesday, posting a slate that features series against nine teams that played in the College World Series last season.

After a travel-intensive year in 2011 that included three straight road trips to start the season, the Cardinal has home series against Vanderbilt, Texas, Rice, Arizona State and California, and doesn’t have a single weekend series away from the West Coast.

Expectations will be high for Stanford this season after an appearance in the Super Regionals last year, the Cardinal’s first since 2008. After defeating Cal State Fullerton, Illinois and Kansas State to advance to the Supers, North Carolina swept the Cardinal in a best-of-three series to end the season.

Stanford returns its top nine hitters from last season and boasts three potential first-round draft picks in juniors Mark Appel, Stephen Piscotty and Kenny Diekroeger.

The Cardinal also returns junior Tyler Gaffney, who is carrying a 22-game hit streak into 2012, the longest for a Stanford player since 1988, and sophomore Brian Ragira, who was last year’s Pac-10 Freshman of the Year.

On the mound, Stanford will have to answer for the loss of closer Chris Reed, who was a first-round pick of the Los Angeles Dodgers in June, as well as the departures of starters Jordan Pries and Danny Sandbrink and bullpen mainstay Scott Snodgress. Senior lefthander Brett Mooneyham will return to the lineup after missing all of the 2011 season with a hand injury.

Stanford baseball will embark on the 2012 season starting Friday, Feb. 17 with a three-game series against Vanderbilt.

- Jack Blanchat

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.