Stanford at 11th in the first coaches poll of the season.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: Also, coach Shaw’s and Ty Montgomery’s comments today had a much more optimistic vibe re: Montgomery’s arm injury than …: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jjarcega_22: Blessed to officially be committed to Stanford University!! #GoCard #NerdGang #Cali 🌲♦️🏈🙏: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Taylor: Red Zone, Axe Comm need to amp up cheers

It might be the American vs. English cultural barrier, but I can’t help feeling the Red Zone crowd is lacking something. I can’t claim that my home soccer team has the most vocal and passionate fans, but I’m used to an edgier and more involved atmosphere in stadiums. Thankfully, violence at soccer grounds in the U.K. is mostly a thing of the past, but the fans can still be pretty intimidating and emotions run high.

To me, the standard cheer on the Farm of “Go, Stanford” just doesn’t sound right. Go where? The British equivalent would be “Come on Stanford,” but while on first inspection that seems almost the same, it really isn’t. It usually comes with a heavy dose of pain and even anger, and is never chanted en masse. It is a personal cry of frustration in a desperate attempt to inject some kind of stimulation into your team. “Beat Cal” is just as bad; what else would the team be trying to do against Berkeley? Fans back home would instead direct their energy at insulting the opposition.

Really good insults are definitely something I miss. There is nothing like a few tens of thousands of fans simultaneously letting an opposing player know that they think he is, in fact, shit. It’s even funnier when that swearword is so loud and so clear that TV crews can do nothing about broadcasting it live across the airwaves.

But this is not about simply being offensive; opposing teams should feel intimidated just by walking into the stadium and hearing the crowd noise, and I just don’t think that happens here. Maybe it’s just a Stanford thing; friends who did their undergraduate degrees elsewhere seem to have a much more colorful cheering vocabulary. The Cardinal fans, in comparison, seem pretty tame, and I have to criticize myself for this too. Our array of chants seems pretty limited and very bland, and there is a lot of silence coming from The Red Zone. Perhaps this is because, even though we might have the longest winning streak in the nation, we have not been at the top long enough to really be considered a football school—I doubt many of you came here because of the football program—and developing a suitably passionate following is not an overnight thing.

It might seem like the least of our athletic worries—USC, Oregon and Andrew Luck’s eventual departure will probably be bigger stories—but college football is a game where you need every edge you can get. A single loss can wreck a season, and with teams only playing each other once a year, home-field advantage has the potential to make a big impact. Partly this is the simple logistics of a team being able to walk to the game rather than travel hundreds of miles, but the mental aspect shouldn’t be underestimated. Fans of Turkish soccer team Galatasaray greet their opposition with the banner “Welcome to Hell.” I couldn’t put it any better.

I suspect this is why the Department of Athletics has opened up all home games to the student body for free, and why there are football incentives to show up for some other sports. But creating a better atmosphere is more than just a numbers game. Red Zone points were offered at Cagan Stadium on Sunday for students coming to watch the Stanford vs. Cal men’s soccer game; the result was a pretty big turnout, and the stands started off packed. However, filling the seats with the uninitiated didn’t seem to work very well. Few people seemed really caught up in the game, and a recording of the Band playing “All Right Now” and a brief appearance from the Axe Committee failed to light the fires. When Cal scored in the first half, quite a few people seemed to head for the exits, and by extra time—the game was tied 1-1 at the end of regulation and so 20 extra minutes were played in the hope of a result—there were a lot of empty seats. I don’t wish to cast doubt on my fellow students’ motives, but it also looked suspiciously like quite a few were simply scanning their ID cards before heading home.

At the end of the day, any amount of incentives or pushing from above won’t work. We need to do this ourselves. Looking at all the various groups that work to get us pumped up at games, I think our best bet lies with the Axe Committee. This is no criticism of the Band, the Tree or the Dollies, because they do a great job and are idiosyncratically Stanford, but they already do about as much as they can. The Axe Committee instead confuses me. Sure, they give out free t-shirts and honk the big train whistle, but it seems to me more an excuse just to get on the field.

So I want to offer a challenge to the Axe Committee. Come sit among us, spread yourselves out across The Red Zone and lead not from the front but by example. Invent some new, more intimidating cheers and teach them to everyone around you so the whole crowd can sing and chant as one. And most of all, be loud.

Tom Taylor has been away from England for a few months and he’s already insulting Stanford fandom. Prove your true Cardinal spirit to him at tom.taylor “at” stanford.edu.

• J.J. Jackson, BS ’10

Tom,

If you are really passionate about making an improvement, I suggest you visit http://axecomm.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/wordpress/ for information on how to join AxeComm and be the change you want to see.

• Pablo

Brilliant. Well-put Tom.

The only time I see the Red Zone get into it are during 3rd downs. People look at me like I’m crazy when I’m yelling during the 1st and 2nd.

• Arturo

how about bringing back the old Stanford classic: “Traverse the field! Traverse the field! Increase aggregate yardage!”

• VE

Also, you guys need to realize that Axe-Comm is on the field for a reason. We have limited roles not because we want to, but because there are many constraints placed on the field. Here’s just a list of what we can do: 
    - The Cannon
    - Train Whistle
    - T-shirt gun (not sure, pending?)
    - Nets
    - Yelling
    - More stuff, I can’t think of it right now

If you guys have more ideas on how we can contribute, by all means, let us know. We want to rile you guys up and it’s alarming to know that we’re not doing our job. 

• Steve ’98

My favorites were always “Pursue them! Pursue them! Make them relinquish the ball!” and “Penetrate! Penetrate! Score! Score!”

• Anonymous

First off, I’ve been to nearly every Stanford home game since I was a freshman in 1996.  Even during the bad years.  And I have two suggestions for the students:

1.  The Go–Stanford cheer is a tradition.  You have to do it.  But you guys are doing it wrong.  The way it works, is the students yell “GO!” and everyone else yells “STANFORD!”  You don’t split it up and have half the students yell go and the other yell stanford.  All you need to do is have all the students in unison yell “GO!”.  That’s it.  Anytime you want.  For no reason whatsoever.  Just do it.  The rest of us know what to do at that point.  Trust me.  When done right, in the stadium with 50,000 people, this cheer is deafening and will really motivate the team.  The way the students have done it in the last 2 games… not so much.

2.  I’m sorry but you guys really need to get some rhythm and figure out what to do when they play Seven Nation Army for the kickoff.  What’s happening right now is embarrassing.  Watch this and take notes: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQfYcqcacfk

3. Ok I lied, sort of, but this isn’t a suggestion.  I love the “shots” cheer.  Best new thing you guys have come up with in the last couple of years.

I will say though, you guys are doing a great job overall.  It’s great to see this team finally get the support it deserves from the students.  

• http://www.facebook.com/morton2 Cal Morton

Good article Tom, having lived in Sunderland for 11 yrs… I get it. When I moved there I didn’t really even care for ‘soccer’, after my first game I was hooked, and it was the energy from the crowd that got to me. The link is from a Sunderland v Newcastle game, taken by a fan in the stands after the game…the crowd is still in the stadium singing/ chanting and generally harassing the Newcastle fans.
    Most of the chants begin spontaneously and rapidly spread around the stadium… you  just need to know its your job to join in. The singing bits start around the 3:30 mark.
    cheers and Go Cards!
     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nps9bYvX580