RT @DavidMLombardi: Also, coach Shaw’s and Ty Montgomery’s comments today had a much more optimistic vibe re: Montgomery’s arm injury than …: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jjarcega_22: Blessed to officially be committed to Stanford University!! #GoCard #NerdGang #Cali 🌲♦️🏈🙏: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Nnemkadi, Chiney among 30 named to preseason Wooden list

The Ogwumike sisters were two of the 30 players named to the 2011-12 Wooden Award Preseason List by the Los Angeles Athletic Club on Monday. The Wooden Award, which has been given each of the past 35 years, is presented annually to the best player in men’s basketball and to the best player in women’s basketball.

Senior forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike (above) and her sister Chiney were two of the 30 members of the Wooden Award Preseason List. (LUIS AGUILAR/The Stanford Daily)

Nnemkadi, a senior forward, led the Pac-10 with 17.5 points per game and a 58.6 percent shooting percentage. She was the Pac-10 Player of the Year in 2009-10 and was an All-American in each of the past two seasons.

Her younger sister Chiney, a sophomore forward, burst onto the scene last year with 11.7 points per game and a team-leading eight rebounds per game. She was last year’s Pac-10 Freshman of the Year and became an imposing defensive force for the Cardinal.

The two Ogwumikes are the only Pac-12 players to make the list, which is dominated by players from top schools. Of the 30 players on the list, 16 come from Connecticut, Notre Dame, Baylor, Maryland, Miami, Tennessee and Stanford.

With team leaders Jeanette Pohlen and Kayla Pedersen gone to the WNBA, Stanford will rely even more heavily on the frontcourt pair from Cypress, Tex. The Ogwumikes will kick off their second and final season together on the Farm with a road game at Texas on Nov. 11.

- Jacob Jaffe

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.