RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @UWVolleyball 3, @StanfordWVB 1 (25-18, 25-21, 23-25, 25-20). Card drops first match of the year, falling to 28-1, …: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Of the 17 teams that went undefeated in the reg. season, only 5 went unbeaten in the tourney to become nat'l champs (most r…: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: This week, @StanfordWVB will look to become the 18th DI team to go undefeated in the regular season since @NCAAVolleyball b…: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @LombardiESPN: Big: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will NOT play vs UCLA: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Stanford coach David Shaw said Ty Montgomery out for UCLA. Said after Cal game it was a right shoulder sprain.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer offside to end regular time, we're headed to golden goal and extra time: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer earns a corner on the counter: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Nnemkadi, Chiney among 30 named to preseason Wooden list

The Ogwumike sisters were two of the 30 players named to the 2011-12 Wooden Award Preseason List by the Los Angeles Athletic Club on Monday. The Wooden Award, which has been given each of the past 35 years, is presented annually to the best player in men’s basketball and to the best player in women’s basketball.

Senior forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike (above) and her sister Chiney were two of the 30 members of the Wooden Award Preseason List. (LUIS AGUILAR/The Stanford Daily)

Nnemkadi, a senior forward, led the Pac-10 with 17.5 points per game and a 58.6 percent shooting percentage. She was the Pac-10 Player of the Year in 2009-10 and was an All-American in each of the past two seasons.

Her younger sister Chiney, a sophomore forward, burst onto the scene last year with 11.7 points per game and a team-leading eight rebounds per game. She was last year’s Pac-10 Freshman of the Year and became an imposing defensive force for the Cardinal.

The two Ogwumikes are the only Pac-12 players to make the list, which is dominated by players from top schools. Of the 30 players on the list, 16 come from Connecticut, Notre Dame, Baylor, Maryland, Miami, Tennessee and Stanford.

With team leaders Jeanette Pohlen and Kayla Pedersen gone to the WNBA, Stanford will rely even more heavily on the frontcourt pair from Cypress, Tex. The Ogwumikes will kick off their second and final season together on the Farm with a road game at Texas on Nov. 11.

- Jacob Jaffe

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.