ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: This just feels like another one of those five-set marathon matches. Par for the course between these two teams.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Nnemkadi, Chiney among 30 named to preseason Wooden list

The Ogwumike sisters were two of the 30 players named to the 2011-12 Wooden Award Preseason List by the Los Angeles Athletic Club on Monday. The Wooden Award, which has been given each of the past 35 years, is presented annually to the best player in men’s basketball and to the best player in women’s basketball.

Senior forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike (above) and her sister Chiney were two of the 30 members of the Wooden Award Preseason List. (LUIS AGUILAR/The Stanford Daily)

Nnemkadi, a senior forward, led the Pac-10 with 17.5 points per game and a 58.6 percent shooting percentage. She was the Pac-10 Player of the Year in 2009-10 and was an All-American in each of the past two seasons.

Her younger sister Chiney, a sophomore forward, burst onto the scene last year with 11.7 points per game and a team-leading eight rebounds per game. She was last year’s Pac-10 Freshman of the Year and became an imposing defensive force for the Cardinal.

The two Ogwumikes are the only Pac-12 players to make the list, which is dominated by players from top schools. Of the 30 players on the list, 16 come from Connecticut, Notre Dame, Baylor, Maryland, Miami, Tennessee and Stanford.

With team leaders Jeanette Pohlen and Kayla Pedersen gone to the WNBA, Stanford will rely even more heavily on the frontcourt pair from Cypress, Tex. The Ogwumikes will kick off their second and final season together on the Farm with a road game at Texas on Nov. 11.

- Jacob Jaffe

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.