RT @StanfordFball: Stanford ranks No. 1 in the nation in scoring defense (4.3 ppg), total defense (204.3 ypg) and passing defense (66.0 ypg…: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 35, Army 0. Final.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Looks like Stanford will preserve the shutout.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan connects with Montgomery for a 32-yard TD pass with 6:09 left: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery was down on the ground for a bit longer than normal. Looks like he's okay though.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tarpley doing what he's best at: pass coverage: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Great block by Johnny Caspers on the TD run.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery gets into the end zone out of the Wildcat. Stanford up 28-0 with 11:35 left in the game.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will take over at the Army 35.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Nnemkadi, Chiney among 30 named to preseason Wooden list

The Ogwumike sisters were two of the 30 players named to the 2011-12 Wooden Award Preseason List by the Los Angeles Athletic Club on Monday. The Wooden Award, which has been given each of the past 35 years, is presented annually to the best player in men’s basketball and to the best player in women’s basketball.

Senior forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike (above) and her sister Chiney were two of the 30 members of the Wooden Award Preseason List. (LUIS AGUILAR/The Stanford Daily)

Nnemkadi, a senior forward, led the Pac-10 with 17.5 points per game and a 58.6 percent shooting percentage. She was the Pac-10 Player of the Year in 2009-10 and was an All-American in each of the past two seasons.

Her younger sister Chiney, a sophomore forward, burst onto the scene last year with 11.7 points per game and a team-leading eight rebounds per game. She was last year’s Pac-10 Freshman of the Year and became an imposing defensive force for the Cardinal.

The two Ogwumikes are the only Pac-12 players to make the list, which is dominated by players from top schools. Of the 30 players on the list, 16 come from Connecticut, Notre Dame, Baylor, Maryland, Miami, Tennessee and Stanford.

With team leaders Jeanette Pohlen and Kayla Pedersen gone to the WNBA, Stanford will rely even more heavily on the frontcourt pair from Cypress, Tex. The Ogwumikes will kick off their second and final season together on the Farm with a road game at Texas on Nov. 11.

- Jacob Jaffe

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.