Over the 5-game win streak in the Big Game, Stanford has outscored Cal 201-75.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
None of Stanford's seniors will leave this school ever having lost the Big Game. Fifth straight claim to the Axe for your Cardinal.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford is bowl-eligible with its sixth win of the season!: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And it's a final from California Memorial Stadium - Stanford 38, Cal 17 in the 117th Big Game.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's a senior victory formation for this Big Game - Eddie Plantaric, Ricky Seale, Jeff Trojan among the seniors out there.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will just take knees to end the game instead of running up the score.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
There's turnover number 5 - an easy pick by Terrence Alexander. Almost a pick 6, but knocked out of bounds at the 4.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gautam Krishnamurthi got in on that last drive for his final Big Game!: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Lasco hits the perimeter and rolls in for the garbage-time touchdown. It's now a 38-17 ballgame.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Nnemkadi, Chiney among 30 named to preseason Wooden list

The Ogwumike sisters were two of the 30 players named to the 2011-12 Wooden Award Preseason List by the Los Angeles Athletic Club on Monday. The Wooden Award, which has been given each of the past 35 years, is presented annually to the best player in men’s basketball and to the best player in women’s basketball.

Senior forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike (above) and her sister Chiney were two of the 30 members of the Wooden Award Preseason List. (LUIS AGUILAR/The Stanford Daily)

Nnemkadi, a senior forward, led the Pac-10 with 17.5 points per game and a 58.6 percent shooting percentage. She was the Pac-10 Player of the Year in 2009-10 and was an All-American in each of the past two seasons.

Her younger sister Chiney, a sophomore forward, burst onto the scene last year with 11.7 points per game and a team-leading eight rebounds per game. She was last year’s Pac-10 Freshman of the Year and became an imposing defensive force for the Cardinal.

The two Ogwumikes are the only Pac-12 players to make the list, which is dominated by players from top schools. Of the 30 players on the list, 16 come from Connecticut, Notre Dame, Baylor, Maryland, Miami, Tennessee and Stanford.

With team leaders Jeanette Pohlen and Kayla Pedersen gone to the WNBA, Stanford will rely even more heavily on the frontcourt pair from Cypress, Tex. The Ogwumikes will kick off their second and final season together on the Farm with a road game at Texas on Nov. 11.

- Jacob Jaffe

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.