Forcible sex offenses double, alcohol arrests down in 2011 safety report

Sexual crimes increased significantly from 2009 to 2010, while alcohol and drug-related offenses declined, according to the 2011 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report released to the Stanford community Tuesday. The number of reported thefts and robberies also decreased.

According to the report, which was released by the Stanford Department of Public Safety, 21 forcible sexual offenses were reported in 2010, compared to 2008 and 2009, which each saw 10 cases. The report describes “forcible sexual offenses” as “any sexual act directed against another person, forcibly or against that person’s will.” Forcible rape, listed as a subcategory of “forcible sexual offenses,” saw the biggest increase, jumping to 13 reports in 2010 from three in 2008 and five in 2009. Eleven of the 2010 reported offenses occurred in student residences.

Liquor law violations, which includes “laws prohibiting the manufacture, sale, purchase, transportation, possession or use of alcoholic beverages” but excludes driving under the influence and drunkenness violations, saw the biggest drop, with 31 arrests in 2010 compared to 113 in 2009.

2010 also saw an increase in burglary reports. Vehicle burglaries rose to 78 cases in 2010 from 48 cases in 2009, while structural burglaries rose to 180 cases from 146 in 2009.

– Ivy Nguyen

• Jbell5

This is HUGE story. Ooops, I forgot: longer open hours for a library are more crucial to highlight. Maybe there is a reason sex crimes on campus is not covered by a HUGE and detailed article and why this side-bar type piece is placed so far down the page?  Maybe we have to wait for such coverage when the sex crimes take place in a library?

• Guest

Why is this a huge story? It’s a simple police blotter. It’d be a huge story if we could read much into the statistics, which we can’t do – it’s extremely unlikely that much has changed in the student body, and so these differences are probably due to policy changes. That makes sense since 1) the process for reporting sexual abuse has been re-examined (probably making people feel safer to report incidences), and 2) the university has been cracking down on alcohol.

Not really much to say.