The Daily brief: August 10, 2011

Ghostwriting Busters | Two articles published by PLoS Medicine Tuesday outlined strategies to combat ghostwriting biased drafts of papers for publication in medical journals, a practice that several universities, including Stanford, have been accused of in the past. The articles offered several suggestions, including having the university in question provide writers to aid the researchers. Read more on the subject here.

Economic Uncertainty | As the nation struggles to make sense of the topsy-turvy stock market week, the Stanford Report turns to Stanford’s economic experts to look toward the future. Associate economics professor Nicholas Bloom, who was interviewed for the article, predicts a “large, short-run recession” to come.

Solar Car Debut | The Stanford Solar Car debuts tomorrow before it heads to Australia for the annual World Solar Challenge, a grueling 10-day, 1,800 race across the Australian outback — powered by the energy of the sun. Find out more about the car, as well as how to see it, here.

Best College? | Stanford ranks 8th in a new college ranking by thebestcolleges.org, which evaluates colleges based on economic value and quality of life. Princeton University ranked first, followed by Harvard.

Follow The Daily | FacebookTwitterdaily email digest