The Hunger Games on the silver screen

June 2, 2011, 12:49 a.m.

The Hunger Games on the silver screen
Courtesy of MCT

Move over, “Twilight.” A new book series is poised to take over American cinema.

The Hunger Games,” the wildly popular post-apocalyptic book series written by Suzanne Collins, is rocking the entertainment industry as it comes to life for an upcoming movie adaptation by director Gary Ross, known for his work on “Seabiscuit” and “Pleasantville.”

The novel tells the story of Katniss Everdeen, a self-reliant, cynical teenager who participates in the Hunger Games, a yearly event organized by the evil government of Panem, a country composed of the remains of the U.S. after environmental catastrophe destroyed most of the country. The Hunger Games are Panem’s way of keeping the twelve districts of the country in line. In the Games, two teenagers from each district are chosen to fight to the death on live television. Katniss volunteers to represent District Twelve, a poor coal-mining district, to save her younger sister Primrose from the same fate.

Despite the dark subject matter, Collins’ series has only grown in popularity since the original book release in 2008. With legions of intensely loyal fans who critically oversaw the casting of the film, the hype has intensified even though the movie has barely begun filming.

The Hunger Games on the silver screen
Courtesy of MCT

The casting of Jennifer Lawrence (known for her Oscar-nominated turn in “Winter’s Bone”) as Katniss lit up the blogosphere back in March. While her acting skills are undeniable, fans criticized Lawrence for being too blonde and curvy to play Katniss, described as an emaciated, olive-skinned teen. However, Collins herself defended the casting choice, saying “I never thought we’d find somebody this perfect for the role. And I can’t wait for everyone to see her play it.”

Soon after Lawrence’s casting, Josh Hutcherson (“The Kids Are Alright”) and Liam Hemsworth (“The Last Song”) were announced to have joined the cast as love interests Peeta Mellark and Gale Hawthorne.

A few bigger names, like Elizabeth Banks as handler Effie Trinket, Lenny Kravitz as Katniss’s stylist and friend Cinna, Stanley Tucci as TV host Caesar Flickerman and Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, District 12’s only living survivor of the games, rounded out the casting news.

With the cast set, the hype now surrounds the filming of the Hunger Games in the rumored location of North Carolina. Lawrence is currently undergoing training to learn how to hunt, fight and shoot Katniss’s signature bow-and-arrow. She made a splash with a recent Entertainment Weekly cover showing her in character for the first time; her trademark blonde locks dyed a dark brown.

Be prepared for months of speculation and hype surrounding the film, which will not be released until Mar. 23, 2012. Until then, it might be a good idea to read Suzanne Collin’s dystopic trilogy to be prepared for when full-on “Hunger Games” mania hits the U.S. next year.