BRIEF: Pedersen and Pohlen selected in first round of WNBA Draft

Stanford women’s basketball seniors Kayla Pedersen and Jeanette Pohlen were two of the first nine picks in last night’s WNBA Draft.

Stanford seniors Kayla Pedersen (right) and Jeanette Pohlen (left) were taken seventh and ninth, respectively, in the WNBA Draft last night. Pedersen is headed to the Tulsa Shock while Pohlen will go to the Indiana Fever. (Stanford Daily File Photo)

Pedersen, a 6-foot-4 versatile forward out of Fountain Hills, Ariz., was picked seventh by the Tulsa Shock, who finished with the league’s worst record in 2010 at 6-28. The Pac-10 Freshman of the Year in 2008, Pedersen was a four-time All-Pac-10 honoree. She is the Pac-10’s all-time leading rebounder with 1,266 rebounds and is the Stanford career leader in games started with 149 and minutes played with 4,762.

Pohlen, a 6-foot shooting guard-turned-point guard from Brea, Calif., was picked ninth by the Indiana Fever, who lost in the first round of the 2010 playoffs. Based on her career-high numbers of 14.5 points and 4.75 assists per game in 2010-11, Pohlen was this year’s Pac-10 Player of the Year and made multiple All-America teams. She set a Stanford record with 96 three-pointers and tied Pedersen’s school record of 150 games played.

During the four years Pedersen and Pohlen played on the Farm, Stanford went to four straight Final Fours and finished 63-0 at Maples Pavilion while compiling a 137-14 record overall.